3 factors to consider before accepting a job offer

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I know that desperation for a job sometimes make us jump at any job offer. But at the end of the end we regret ever accepting the offer in the place. The truth is that some job offers are not want they seem so you need to always dig better and be sure it is what you want and can work with. So before putting pen to paper on any job offer, you should consider the below factors to avoid”had I known”.

These factors are:

1. The benefit package; Apart from your salary, you would need to consider other benefits package that come with the job. Be sure it will great for you as you begin the job

2.The pay: This is the most of all these factors, be sure that the pay you are offered is worth the job. You just need to compare the offer to your financial needs to be sure you would be good with the pay.

3.Work style; Assess the work style of the job you are been offered and be sure you would be able to do the job just the way you have been shown. Look at the work environment and ethics and be sure you are okay with it

What do you think?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Accepting a new job is exciting, and you should take the time to enjoy that feeling. Even so, there are some aspects to consider before accepting the offer.
The job will change your life in many ways, so it's important to know the ins and outs of what you're getting into.

Here are a few things to research before accepting a job offer:

-Company culture: Is this company on a mission that matters to you? How does it treat its employees? What is its reputation in the community?

-Salary: Is this an appropriate salary for someone with your experience level? Does it match up with what others in similar positions make? What benefits come along with it? What is your earning potential at this company?

-Risk vs. reward: Do you have enough information to determine how much risk there is in taking this job? Are there enough rewards available to justify those risks?

-Location: Is this company close enough for you to get there easily on a daily basis? Will you need to move or relocate your family if you accept this offer?

-Your career path: Is this position going to help you reach your long-term goals or not? Will it help you enhance or develop skills that will be useful.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
All your points are valid and I hope people that needs this information gets to read this. I know desperation for a job most times do make people settle for less and later start complaining. The truth is that whatever you settle for would get worse by the day, so you need to be sure from the onset that you are good with the job. There's nothing as draining like working on a job you don't find joy at all about it. You would be very unhappy and this might even move to other parts of your life. So work on your choice of a job from the beginning and go for the one you feel better about.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
If you are hunting for a job, it is always very important for you to know your worth that is the reason why it is advisable that people acquire a lot of knowledge and skills in order to improve their work in the job market.

You need to acquire the certifications and everything needed for you to get a juicy job.

There are a lot of things you need to consider if you are a job seeker. The first thing to consider as a job seeker is the pay. This is where the value of a job lies most of the time because some people may not mind doing some kind of jobs as long as it is worth it. If your monthly salary in a job is very good then that job is definitely for you.

As long as it is important for you to consider the payment of a job, it is also very important for you to consider the working environment. It should be an environment that gives you the motivation to do your job very well on daily basis. There are some working environment that is not encouraging at all.

Another thing you should consider is the location of that job or business venture. If the cost of transportation is too high then I think it doesn't make sense for you to accept such a job.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
You are right on your list I hope job seekers see these and know that being desperate wouldn't help them in the long run so before you leap you should see, or you would end up in regrets. The truth is that employers are always wanting to take advantage of job seekers because they know that one is desperate for a job and they will just throw peanut as a bait to see if you would accept. They all know that the amount they offer is low but if you the job seeker doesn't know your worth to resist such then you are the one playing on yourself.

Looking for a job shouldn't make lose self confidence and worth because at the end of the day you would be selling yourself low abd you would only blame yourself and no body else.

As a job seeker you need to be certain that your pay and work load is almost at par. Having a heavy workload and a little pay can be tiring, so before you get in and be looking for how to get out within 48 hours think twice and be sure you like all the job entails before agreeing to the job.

Rachael

Verified member
There are four major factors I consider; the location, welfare of the workers, job security and the salary range and possibility of increment. There are some jobs or organizations that owe their workers salary, yet threaten to dismiss them of their duties if they fail to comply to work everyday. This is the reason I try to make findings about the welfare of the employees from an outsider who has once worked there, to know the reason why he or she resigned. There are some organizations that are very toxic and someone cannot even work for a week without getting depressed or demotivated. The incentive package matters too, this is because you cannot expect me to deliver quality and be paid peanuts, no matter how inclined I might be on the job, the salary can either stimulate me positively or negatively.

Employment these days is hard to come by and such, most individuals would not even better checking critically how the job offer would affect them negatively. To crown it all, the job security is also very paramount in the decision I take. Any job that does not guarantee to a large extent the security, I would not take up the offer. Again the salary range is important and also the possibility of increment. Any organization that does not increase their pay with at least every 2years, then I would leave such organization, this is because, they do not have the welfare of employees.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Yeah you are right with your list. it always good to consider some very good factors before accepting a job

it is always good to know that the location of a job suit you to avoid always getting to the job late and being see always a late comer to work. This also affects one salary especially if you are working in a place that there's a kind of deduction when it comes to lateness. so this must be taken into consideration.

increments

I personally wouldn't like s place of work that there's no growth financially In ones salary and other incentives. You were paid w certain amount of money when the economy was great even when the economy has gone bad they still want to pay same. this kind of companies still exist one needs to find out and reject working with such so tell them to revise such

Health

This is another good area that should be taken into consideration when getting a job one health should be considered. You can't do much without a good health so this one area that questions need to be asked and you should be sure that you can get the best healthy working conditions.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
Above all the events and situations that take place in a life of a particular human being the stage of accepting a job offer is actually one event or situation that must be taken seriously . In some regions of the world particularly developing regions and countries there is absolutely no enough job for people residing in these regions that is why any individual that has a White collar job is considered lucky because there is not enough job available for people to accommodate . Yet It is important that we become comfortable and satisfied with the job opportunity that we intend to be handed to . majority of individuals do not take their comfortability and satisfaction into proper consideration rather than focus on the salary of the job offer that they have been offered . There is no doubt that salary rate of a particular job is actually one factor to consider , but yet it is not the main factor other comfortability and satisfaction should be the main factor .

When we are comfortable and satisfied with our job , we are more likely to become diligent and hard-working there by being ever more industrious in all ramification , so as to be able to achieve business goals and objectives as planned or expected .

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
The most important thing I will consider when choosing a business or employment is the payment because that will really determine everything . I'm not particularly interested about the benefit because you won't likely see any benefits if you're working for a private business organisation.

Working for some government organisation may not give you any benefit accepts the ability for you to earn pension after retirement.

If the payment is ok , you can be able to live a stable life and at least you can be able to have some savings and also plants your life.

If we are to consider the benefit of working for most organisations and forgetting about the payment , then I don't really think that is just the best because the payments is what you should consider.

Apart from the payments, I also consider some other things like the security and the cost of transportation because that will determine my monthly income.

Another thing I will put into consideration is the Working hours because that is another thing I must consider. I don't just need employment that I won't even have time to be taking care of myself or spending with my family members. There are some that will request you to work from morning till evening without break

Abigael

Valued Contributor
This is very true. It is best to look at these things before accepting a job offer. I have ever been in that situation of regretting the job you took and so I know exactly what is being talked about here. It is best to first decide if the job actually fits before taking it instead of spending all your time getting bore with the job and regretting why you took it.

The salary earned is so important to check. You should make sure that it is enough to cater for all your bills and expenses. Otherwise, you will be doing a job that does not really satisfy your financial needs. You should also make sure that the salary is equivalent to the amount of work that you do. Some jobs pay so low yet you do massive work.

Another important thing to consider is if the job will benefit your career building and add something valuable to your resume. One mistake that most people make is focusing on doing jobs that don't really aid their career building. So you jump from one unimportant job to another without necessary looking for jobs that are in line with the career you choose as an adult.

E

eldavis

You are actually right though but I think number three might be an issue in most cases. The truth is that most business owners or employers are not honest. I got a job about three months back or so, and before accepting the job, I had a discussion with the manager and we actually agreed on some working ethics, in which I also stated some of my own terms and conditions which he agreed to. Presently things has changed, the working ethics I was used to in the first one month is completely different now. This is was something he did not tell me about.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I think that you must look for many things when it comes to accepting a job offer. Salary and nature of work are some of those things that each and every person looks. I thinks that a person should also look for the following things before accepting a job offer:-

1) Job Timings

You must make sure that the job you opted for is the best one for you in regard to timing. Some jobs have really odd timings and this makes it very hard for people to work. For example, certain companies would make you come at work in the morning and in the night as well. they might have different schedule and this could seriously have a bad effect on your health.

2) Allowances

A great company offers allowances to its employees. if you want to pursue a career, then you must opt for a job that not only offers a great salary, but also a good number of allowances as well. Unfortunately, majority of the companies in my country do not provide allowances to lower-level employees.

3) Future Prospects

Your future is quite important and if you opt for a job offer, you must ask yourself; what will be your position in the future if you select this job? What kind of befits does this job provide me in the future? These are some of the main questions.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
You have mentioned them right, the alliwsnces that would be available for the job should be one of the things that you should consider when getting a job, in as much as it isn't the most paramount so it wouldn't look as if one is greedy people still need to look out for themselves. the benefits that come with the job should to a large extent be beneficial to the employee. Sometimes the job stress might be overwhelming but what will keep it going will be benefits that comes with the job.

Another is to check very well what the job description is all about. What you are expected to do right from the beginning and your map out duties. Be sure it is what you would want to do and there' will he no grudges afterwards.

The next thing will also to look at what the future will offer you with this job, no one want to be static in a job so it better to find out if the work will give room for growth or improvement. Find out how you would be able to boost your career. Yeah it is good be concern about a job but you don't need to forget yourself in the process.

blessingc

The kind of job you choose to do should be according to your ability and time else there will be alot if problems. A job that gets takes your free time for you is not a good job, a job that brings out exhaustion from you at the end of each day is not a good job, so when taking up a job you should consider alot of things and have a documented agreement if possible before embarking on it.

I worked as a teacher in a school, but before accepting the job I was interviewed, I was tested, I mean my ability to write note, to stand before a audience and make them understand the message I am trying to pass to them. We negotiated what I need to do, my closing hours, my pay, and some other necessary things I needed to know about, I was given an several handouts of various rules I needed to follow to avoid losing my job or losing some money as a discipline for breaking any. But it was my first job ever, I didn't know I needed to make the boss know want I wanted too. When everything started working out I discovered I was being used to accomplish task I never signed for and I couldn't cope I had to leave.

make it plain to the employee what you want and want will happen if what you signed becomes different from what you see.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Your story just reminded me of many of such stories I have read. I think what brings about this is always desperation to get a job, if you do not look before you leap you get yourself into something you begin to ask what went wrong. The thing is that if you do not start from the onset to give boundaries which will telling the job what you deserved then you are selling yourself short.

The truth is humans are always out to use the next person, so if you don't find out the detail of your job or duties from the word go then you get yourself into huge problems with the management. so to avoid these problems you would need to aej questions to know.

Another area of contention with job offers is always the incentives that come with the job, it seems people or employers don't always want to keep to their part of their background i.e they wouldn't want 5i give the promotion or pay for the allowances as stated in the employment letter. You would need to find out that part is obtainable before agreeing to the job offer. if it means asking the existing staff and they are willing to oblige you then you can go ahead.