A simple and short resume that is easy to read

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I had the experience of performing the job of a hiring officer when I was operations manager of a software house. When there is a vacancy we would advertise the need for a programmer or other position and I would be the one to check on the letters of application that were sent by mail. That was the era before the digital age.

Those who are called would come with their resume for me to read before I call them for an interview. The usual mistake of an applicant is the long resume that sometimes would be 5 pages long. Included are non essentials like the school he attended in grade school or high school. The merits he earned in school like best in math or voted as the best to succeed. With that kind of resume the applicant is already marked non-essential.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well, sometimes it depends on what the jobs entails and you might want to give a detailed information about it. But then, it isn’t wise to include what are not necessary it might elicit boredom. It is better to only include what the reviewer want to see and leave it at that

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I have always struggled preparing my resume. I never made a professional looking resume in my life. I have noticed that there are many qualified people and their resume consists of five pages! I believe that it is much better to send resume through email address rather than carrying a hard copy with you. Many employers in my country prefer hard copies and it is always very difficult for me to give them. I mostly give them a black and white copy of my resume.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
I believe that its not how voluminous what you write on the resume that matters but the quality of it. I think some time when the resume is to plenty with many pages then it will become work for the person that will check it. I beloved they really need is your correct name,address, country ,gender,Age some times and your qualification. But some will even write about how the live their life when they are in school and I don't think its really necessary.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Those merits aren't suppose to be included cos they're adding no meaning. The best would be going straight to the point, adding the personal data like name, age, address, educational levels, the skills, past working experiences etc. The awards in high school isn't worth it, unless is a remarkable and known award, then it is worth including.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
A resume is not to your autograph, so it is expected to be precise and concise. In the way of impressing people with too much achievements, some people end up bored the human resource department. No one has time to be reading what you have garnered for more than 20 years in just 5 mins. Just give them what they need and not what you want.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I have seen so many of these resumes by people around me and I get to wonder whether they have not been reading about the need to keep everything concise and straight forward. I think I would be addressing them on this issue to make sure they are not always repeating the same mistake anytime they write an application for jobs.

D

Deleted member 28127

The problem of CV that most of companies doesn't read CV just sent by email you have to go to company and present your CV, send a CV by email will not be in 99 % of cases readed by work manager of CV this is the fault that is commited by most of senders of CV. Human meeting is really important to be hired in a company. This is an advice due to a personal experience.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have seen so many of these resumes by people around me and I get to wonder whether they have not been reading about the need to keep everything concise and straight forward. I think I would be addressing them on this issue to make sure they are not always repeating the same mistake anytime they write an application for jobs.
It is not easy to check the submitted resumes of the applicants when there are more than 50 to evaluate. Usually I get only the best 5 which are easy to read and understand. I also don't go for long resumes of more than 5 pages, that would be tedious for me. With the interview the first thing that I ask is the veracity of the work experience (for a particular position).

Mika

VIP Contributor
You might be thinking you have a lot of experience and training and you have to show everything on your resume, however, this is not true. You should show only the relevant training and experience. If you are applying for a graphic designing job, there is no point in mentioning on your resume that you went for beautician training.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
If you have undergone a lot of training, have done double MA, have worked on multiple companies, and have been working for a long time, your resume will surely be long, may be 5-7 pages. My resume is 7 pages long. Do you think I should not submit my 7 pages resume and cut it to 2 pages?