Are Medical courses overrated?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
In my country, you get to see q lot of youths who want to become medical practitioners in the future. In fact, when it is time for university admission, a very high percentage of science high school students choose medical courses as their first choice. Though only a few make it at the end, but it seems many more do not give up. You get to see someone who has spent up to 4 years at home because he could not secure admission to study a medical course In the university and it is difficult to convince such people to go for another alternative.

But despite all these, the payment of medical practitioners is not the highest among all other professions but people still value them as if they are the ones receiving the highest Payment all over the world.
I think medical courses are overrated, how about you?

IamDozzy

In Nigeria, yes they are highly overrated but in developed countries they earn very well and are comfortable. The thing with the medical profession in Nigeria is that you can never be without a job but you will be underemployed and used severely. I know doctors in Nigeria who have only 1 day off in a week and are always on one shift or the other either in private or public hospitals. But in developed countries there is a balanced work and family relationship.