Are there businesses that do not require marketing?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Marketing is an important aspect of business, and it goes a long way in determining the success of a business. Some businesses have been existing for a long time, but lack of marketing has made it hard for the owners to make meaningful profit from it, thus remaining in the same state without making progress.
Do you think it is possible to have a business that would succeed Even without marketing?
Personally I think it would be possible if you are selling essential services in a particular area, for instance someone who is known for selling food stuffs and ingredients in a place where the distance to market is far, I think this kind of business won't need any more Marketing.
What do you think?

Dora Wi

Marketing has a very broad definition, so it's hard to answer.
I think most businesses cannot really succeed without some marketing - even selling essential goods and services would only work in smaller areas such as a small town or village where there are not many alternatives available. Although, now that I think about it, if you sell at a farmers' market, for example, you probably don't need marketing - but the market itself probably advertises itself in some form, so I'm not sure that counts.
Also, even if a business stays afloat without marketing, they might not reach their full potential.

Setho

VIP Contributor
If you will want to sell products without any form of marketing whatsoever then it means your product is either too good and unique or you are running a market Monopoly. Apart from that every single business whatsoever requires one form of marketing or the other in order to attract customers and beat off competition.

Good luck

Verified member
Marketing has a great role and impact when it comes to doing business.Without a good marketing such business may not be well known in the society or community where one is doing such business and such person will not have much customer and such Business may lack insight and information technology because most marketing are really done online like Facebook etc

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There are some businesses that do not marketing but what they need is the right locations. Businesses like food and cloth don't need marketing. This is because there is no way people won't patronize them except if they are not in a good location. Aside this, I don't think we still have business that don't need marketing.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In this modern world I don't think it would be a good business if you will not do any marketing. An example is a home based business of selling food items. The market base is the neighborhood. But how will the neighbors get to know that you are selling and what you are selling if you do not inform them? Just calling or texting them about your business is a marketing task.

Topstik

Business is possible is without marketing but you can get limited sales and customers. If you want to make customers globally then you can take the help of online marketing.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If yours is the only shop or one of the few shops in the locality and if you are selling essentials, you may not need to spend money on marketing. Let say you have a convenient store and there is no other store in radius of 5 km, you do not have to market.