At what age should a professional sport player retire?

Jonaville

We all know that the sports career field is different from the government and company ones. In the later ones, you need to have worked a certain number of years before you can be eligible for retirement. In my country, you must have worked for 35 years before you can consider retiring.
But the same can't be said in the sports sector. Sports men and women have the liberty to decide when they will retire. Though the average retirement age is 35, some have played up to 40 years or more before retiring. Examples are the footballers: Ryan Giggs and Gigi Buffon. We also those who retired too early. An example is Sam Hutchinson, a footballer who retired at 21.
If you were to be a sport player, at what age will you like to retire?

Sammy01

If I was a footballer I would probably retire at the age of 40 when I have accomplished my goal and most importantly saved a lot of money so I can invest a little on businesses or buy stocks. The main point is that there is no age to retiring, you can retire when you feel you want to.

IamDozzy

I believe retirement age for sportsmen and sportswomen depends on the sports the engage in. For a footballer, rugby player, boxer and all those sports that involves enormous strength, the retirement age should be either early 30s or mid 30s. The reason for this is injury, as one gets older, the healing period for injuries enlongates. Therefore, an injury that's is normally supposed to take a month to heal would end up taking 2 to 3 months to heal. For soft sports that doesn't involve much injuries such as table tennis, darts etc. retirement age could be pegged at late 30s to mid 40s or even further depending on the individual.

Kennysplash

Verified member
This depends largely on the sport and also the individual. Some are strong and can play till 40s while others do not have that kind of strength. Like you said, there are footballers that retired 21 to 25 and we have others that are still playing in their 40s like Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Also there are people that are above 50 and still play table tennis, that is because the sport has little exertion and injury casencompared to other sports like football, rugby, boxing and wrestling.
We all know that the sports career field is different from the government and company ones. In the later ones, you need to have worked a certain number of years before you can be eligible for retirement. In my country, you must have worked for 35 years before you can consider retiring.
But the same can't be said in the sports sector. Sports men and women have the liberty to decide when they will retire. Though the average retirement age is 35, some have played up to 40 years or more before retiring. Examples are the footballers: Ryan Giggs and Gigi Buffon. We also those who retired too early. An example is Sam Hutchinson, a footballer who retired at 21.
If you were to be a sport player, at what age will you like to retire?

Donkiz

It is only government workers that have a fixed retirement age, every other occupation does not have anything like that. In sports, we have seen some players stay in the game for a very long time, while some retire very early, which is usually as a result of injuries.

Every sports player is involved in rigorous training routine almost on daily basis, which determines their level of fitness. Therefore if at anytime your body system start showing some signs that signifies that the routines are beginning to take a toil on you, then it's time to start thinking of retirement.

Briangsam

The age professional footballer should retire depends on many factors that play into one. The age limit or career expectancy of a footballer depends on the player and it varies from player to player. Factors like genetics, lifestyle, injuries and fitness level of the player.

Samuel72

Verified member
A footballe player is supposed to retire at the age of 45 to 50 this is because at this stage he is not well physically fit and also his system might be a little bit weak. I see this is the right time for a footballer to retire. It advisable that every player that have given birth to three kids should try and step down from football because after this your system will be weak and at this age it is normal for a player to have up to three kids.

Mellorando

Banned
Front at 30 to 40 years is when I think a football player should retire what is he or she must have safe reasonable amount of money to aid him during retirement age to retire is to relax and lack of money for relaxation means no good retiring at all

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In boxing and other contact sports like mixed martial arts the retirement age is 40 although it is not mandatory. In fact, Manny Pacquiao, the 8-division boxing champion is aiming to fight this year of 2021. He is already 42 years old so his family is against his planned fight. He should retire and forget about fighting because of his age.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
There is no specific age for a professional football player to retire. There are some players that can play up to the age of 40 years and there are some that cannot be play up to age of 35 years. This usually depends on their personal lifestyles. Players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic will definitely play up to the age of 40. There is a Japanese professional footballer who is still playing at the age of 53.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
As i much as i do like watching soccer, do i love to play too. Footballers doesn't have specific age limit for retirement. You'll only retire when you're a professional footballer if your body is weak and unable to continue becoming the magic you've been known for, and unable to sustain long in the match. Some footballers have played above 50 years before, even a 75 year old Egyptian played on.