Can loan applications send messages to my contacts?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
There are so loan applications on Google play store and they seem to be legit. Most of the time, they give out money to people and remind them to pay within a stipulated period of time. However, it seems not many people repay these loans, for instance, there was one I got to know of, but I was not allowed to take a loan because they said many of their previous customers refused to repay and so they can not continue releasing money to more people.

At the course of a discussion with some friends, I was made to understand that these loan applications have access to all the numbers in their customers contact list and they could send out messages to them saying you took a loan and have refused to repay.
What do you think, is this true? Can't someone sue them for breach of privacy?

IamDozzy

If you sue these online loan companies in a Nigerian court for breach of privacy, the case could drag on for years and you would be the ultimate loser. It's important we all pressurize the Apex bank in the country to do something about these online loan companies. It's only the Apex bank that can effectively cage them in the despicable act of breaching ones privacy by sending messages to their customers contacts. I have read stories online, in which once a customer defaults in payments, they start sending messages to the defaulter's contact stating that the defaulter is a fraudster and is on the run. This has led so many people to have suicidal tendencies. The Apex bank urgently try and regulate these online loan companies that I would rather call loan sharks.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
My friend is currently getting messages from Sokoloan over a breach of payment from one of his church member... Personally I don't like the idea of the loan companies sending messages to the defaulters contact. If there is a default in the payment of loan then the bank should do the needful with the bvn they collected not sending hateful messages or even defaming the applicant... Though even I am not in support of someone getting a loan without a proper plan on how to repay it. But the fact that we are all human and sometimes things might not go as expected I'd not supposed to be far from our hearts.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I don't think its right to drag this loan app to court when you are owing them when you feel they have flout the privacy guidelines. But never wise to take them to court when you are still owing outstanding loans cos the outstanding loans you owe will be used against you in the court. It is better you clear off your loan and be eligible for their next big loan option. I don't like borrowing money either from any mortgage bank be it online or offline, I stick with my savings. Cos I'm not ready at all to be taking loans with high repayment interest.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It is not always a sweet experience borrowing frkn these loan applications. They go from tarnishing their client image to threatening with law enforcement agents. Though, the blame doesn't lie with them absolutely. We should also blame who borrows and refuse to pay. When we borrow especially in an ugly situation, we should always pay up and remember who bailed us out during the trial time. Jusy that the loan application needs to reduce their interest.

Adetayo100

Yes they can send messages and even call your contacts, this is possible because when you were applying for the loan, you granted them access to your contacts, sms messages and your banking details. Thus they already have access to your account details and other details involving you, so when you default on your loan they message all your contacts.

Adetayo100

Yes they can send messages and even call your contacts, this is possible because when you were applying for the loan, you granted them access to your contacts, sms messages and your banking details. Thus they already have access to your account details and other details involving you, so when you default on your loan they message all your contacts.