Conducting an online songwriting contest

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have been joining the local songwriting contests and I am proud to say that I have won some and have lost some. A friend sent me an invitation to an international songwriting contest that conducts such contests every 3 months. My composer friend was a finalist in the foreign songwriting contest.

With the intention of joining, I checked on the site for the next contest. Oh gee, the entry fee is $20. And they boast that they are getting more than 500 entries every time. And the price is a plaque. When I became a finalist in one local contest with no entry fee there were 880 entries. A songwriting contest with an entry fee is a good project to earn money. What can you say about it?

Mika

VIP Contributor
Congratulations on winning a song writing contest, I have never written songs, let alone winning a competition In fact before I started posting on forums, had never written anything. Currently, the only writing I have done apart from forum posting is writing articles on a forum site. I have published just about 30 medium length articles.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
A friend of mine also used to enter in song/poem writing contests, he used to send the links in the whatsapp group and request for votes. Winning was always most voted one, and he hardly won any such online contest. I do not remember if there was entry fees, but entry fees is good for the revenue, yet only when price is money otherwise people will ignore it. hundreds of entries daily for just a plaque is hard to believe.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Happy for you that you have won several music writing contest. I have never been a fan of writing a song, but I like listening to some nice songs. I have heard about some music writing contest, and my elder brother had once participated in one but he didn't get to make it to the finals.....It was painful to him though.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
It depends most times , because when money is involved and the person conduct an online song contest , some people might not actually want to register with a huge sum of money or even register at all , because they believe that its scam and because its unpopular like that less interest would be shown towards it

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Anything that comes with a fee is to make money off it. This is why there's always one contest or the other. It is to help raise money either for personal use or a cause. But I think it shouldn't be more on the contestants. The organisers should always have other avenues of making money than taxing the participants.maybe a fund raising will help out

Setho

VIP Contributor
In as much as I believe competitions like this should not have signing-on fees or even if they should have it shouldn't be that much it is actually a normal thing. The organizers are trying to create something like a win-win situation between them and the athletes. Here the outlets would register with the hope that they might win the competition and even if they don't win they are going to get some valuable experience and also exposure.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Of course the entry fee is important in the sense that the winner of the contest will definitely get a whole lot of money. the $20 fee that was placed as the entry fee will ensure that only people who are serious and talented will be contesting, so it is definitely okay.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Talent has been a surest way of making money in any country that one may find himself. There are some people that have really made it big through their talent. It is not surprising that competitions that requires entry fee will also attract more money compare to the ones that don't requires any entry fee.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I love hip hops, and rap songs. I once hosted a concert earlier on. But lack of support made me to give up on my music dream. I'm not a natural singer with good voice. I have a big voice, but I learned it, and started flowing according to the rhyme of the beat.