Continue Schooling or Start a business

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
If one can afford to finish schooling without stress why not. But its advisable if you don't have sponsorship then you can be doing side job a long with schooling .
And if you know that your capacity can not carry you then its better you venture in to business and possibly latter after you might have gather some money to go back to school.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
The only problem I have with most youth is that they already misconstrue going to school to getting rich. Education is a way of empowering ourselves towards future challenges. It should not be seen a sure way to richness, it is just a gate way of making money. So we should no that benefit that we will gain from going to school is different from the one we will get if continue to work without education. We may get rich through this but we won't have much exposure. And if we finish our education, we may be fortunate to secure a better job thay pays excellently.

Unique23

If you have to advice a high school graduate in this junction, what will your advice be.
Especially in Nigeria, we see lots of school graduate looking for job after obtaining B.Sc certficate for many years without getting a good job some end up becoming a private school teacher in which they are been paid peanuts, it is after some look for job and they can't found they will have to start up business. Alot of us are in this position and to prevent our brothers and sisters what will you advice if you are to counsel a high school graduate on this.
First of all you should be get complete education. After completion of studies you can do your own business in proper way . Without complete education you will face many problems and difficulties.

Donkiz

Education is very important, therefore it's very good to acquire as much education as you can depending on your pocket and intellect. There are lots of people that didn't go to school and are doing very well in business, but when you compare them with another business person that went to school, you will notice the difference.

Dropping out of school to go into business when there's means for you to continue schooling is not the best idea. If possible you can combine schooling with business, but if you cannot do the two simultaneously, you can try learning a high paying skill, so that when you graduate you will have an advantage over your mates.

Mishi

Sounds like a cool industry to be in! These answers are already on it. It's not a must to have a degree to have your own business. Obviously the more you how to do then the more money you will save by not having to hire someone that does. But you don't have to do it all. Almost all owners hire help for time or quality purposes. I think knowing the line of work you are in is the more valuable than any. You can always hire someone to balance the accounts.

Ralphjoe

Schooling is a very important thing for anyone to do but in a situation whereby there are no jobs anywhere in the country, the most wisest thing for anyone to do is to open the business and at the same time going to school on a part-time basis so that the person can use one stone to kill two birds.

In my country going to school does not mean that someone will become successful in life but when's that someone goes to school and at the same time start up something good for himself then there is a higher chance that that person is going to make it more than someone that just focus on school.

Georgeadawara

If you have to advice a high school graduate in this junction, what will your advice be.
Especially in Nigeria, we see lots of school graduate looking for job after obtaining B.Sc certficate for many years without getting a good job some end up becoming a private school teacher in which they are been paid peanuts, it is after some look for job and they can't found they will have to start up business. Alot of us are in this position and to prevent our brothers and sisters what will you advice if you are to counsel a high school graduate on this.
Despite the fact that there seems to be no jobs readily available upon graduation, schooling is something that is very necessary and can never be over emphasized. There is no justification for deciding to stop Schooling because you feel there are no jobs upon graduation.
I am always of the opinion that people should stop this mindset of going to school because you want to secure a job, going to school is more than that.

When you go to school, you get a lot of exposure that helps you to find in as a civilized person in the society. This is a very good reason why people should go to school even when there are no jobs.

People who didn't go to school exhibit high level of stupidity that makes you wonder how comes.

After school, you can decide to start a business.

leejay

Higher education is actually not for everybody. There are people who didn't see the four walls of a university but instead went to learn a trade after finishing high school, those people are doing well in life.
As for undergraduates, I recommend they should focus on why they are pursuing higher education and make the best out of the opportunity.
But they should start thinking about life after school even before they graduate. They should make a plan B even a plan C will suffice especially if they are schooling in a country with high rate of unemployment. In life, it is not advisable to heap all your eggs into one basket. Having a skill could help when you cant get a job with your degree.

Victor001

Education is key, business is key all in their own way! Its not out of place to be educated and well grounded in business.
Most times in the pursuit for education we get exposure to certain business ideas and certain business gurus, we even build our connection along side.
Nobody is a fountain of knowledge every business sector in one way or the other require a certain level of educational background to stand. The great business men you see today some may not be educated but they crave for knowledge by employing educated hands and skill.

cmoneyspinner

I an unfamiliar with the education system in Nigeria. In the USA, after graduating from high school, many student choose to enroll in college or university and pursue a four year degree or a higher degree (Masters, PhD, etc.). Some decide to go to a vocational school and learn a trade because they don't want to go to college. After that, even in America, getting a good job is still not easy. Fortunately there are a lot of ways to work online without waiting to catch the eye of a recruiter or a business. My advice would be – if you have Internet access- figure out what you can do online while still searching for gainful employment.

Roysnickz

I don't subscribe to the idea of schooling for the certification only. Schooling or education generally is aim at imparting knowledge and skills into the learner. By this concept, schooling or education can be said and quite rightly too to be a skills acquisition venture.
In this regard, the graduand is supposed to be well equipped with the necessarily set of skills for surviver in his/her chosen field. This will him/her not to be looking for work up and down.

Olajidey

This is a very difficult choice for me to make, on one hand there is the perks of choosing to go to school to secure a better future which is uncertain. But would definitely give me more chance and raise the probability that i might have a better life and the choice that I should start a business that if I get it right would set me up for life although I would be illearrate at a level or not completely educated( schools dropout). With careful consideration, I think I would choose to open a business because i want a sit future right now, I want to be able to be certain that my future is secure, about schooling I would go back to school anytime I see fit to complete my education.

Finger Geek

Verified member
Business is not even the other thing next to completing school. If a student just finished high school. The best thing to do is for the student to learn a profession. There are many professions that he can learn like fashion design, hair dressing, make up art and many more.
Sometimes the person will rely on to pay for our school fees might disappoint. If for someone that has a profession, and he is dissapointed, he can still make money with is profession while studying.
And some times after graduating, how might not see job. But because he has a profession, he will start work on his own and make money with it.

IamDozzy

In present day Nigeria, I would advice a high school graduate to combine the two. That is doing business while in school, because let's face the fact, Nigeria is a certificate clamoring country and as such without a university certificate, there are some things you are limited to in Nigeria.Doing business is very encouraging because it solves the immediate and future need of finance.The richest man in Nigeria and Africa as a whole is both a graduate and a business man, so a high school graduate can hone his/her business skills while in school.

Ummigal

Going to school is beyond acquiring certificates. It teaches you how to manage people(you relate with different kinds of students). It also teaches you how to meet deadlines and cope with pressure. It also teaches you how to multi-task(writing difficult exams on the same day). It also makes you to develop a never-quit attitude(because you you you have to pass before you graduate). These skills are directly or indirectly applied to life later on, and can prove very important to your business. Like a friend of mine always say, even though you want to sell sweets, go to school, because the way you would sell the sweet would be different from the ways of an illiterate.

eenya00

According to the Bible there is a season and time for everything, education in itself is not a waste of valuable time, so getting a degree would always make you stand out, but also your success in life is not tied to any educational qualification but your zeal, drive and tenacity to survive.

If you are to quit school, let it not be because you want to follow the bandwagon, but it should be because of your vision and aspirations for a better life

Olajidey

The situation is not too different in India too. As teachers here who teach in private schools a few hours in a day, earn less amount as compared to the effort made. All money is taken away by the director or either the founder of the school in most of the cases and some revenue is shared with the teachers that's not much as compared to the total earnings made by the school. Here, government teachers are paid a lot and with respect to the private teachers they are not working hard as attendance of them is also very poor here.

So, business is probably a good idea if they have in their mind.
Uhm, Thanks for your point. This is coming from another country, i guess it is advisable not to really depend on education. if there is chance to go along by combining the two together it will be a very good idea. I wont let my younger ones make the mistake have made.
Education is losing it value day by day while business is gaining ground day by day. you spend 4 years studying a particular course and after your graduate you start looking for job.

Kennysplash

Verified member
Education is important, and if you have the opportunity to start a business that is more important. Is there a way you could do the two simultaneously? What you said is true, many graduates are out there finding work with their certificates. At the end of the day they are offered a job with peanut change, all that hard work in school for nothing. But if you have your own business you have an edge. Instead of adding to the labour you can be an employer of labour, and you will not be concerned about job hunting.

BlackManta

Higher education is actually not for everybody. There are people who didn't see the four walls of a university but instead went to learn a trade after finishing high school, those people are doing well in life.
As for undergraduates, I recommend they should focus on why they are pursuing higher education and make the best out of the opportunity.
But they should start thinking about life after school even before they graduate. They should make a plan B even a plan C will suffice especially if they are schooling in a country with high rate of unemployment. In life, it is not advisable to heap all your eggs into one basket. Having a skill could help when you cant get a job with your degree.