Cyber fraud as jobs: its effects on countries.

D

Deleted member 51169

To many, cyber fraud popularly known as yahoo yahoo has come to stay among us. No country is exempted from this high hydra-monster, as countries like USA, UK, Russia, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Vietnam and Nigeria have been listed as places where such activities are carried out in large volumes while Dubia is known as a luxury city for fraudsters.

In this discourse we will be using Nigeria as case study. It is believed among its populace that, there are hardly anyway for anyone to make a decent living without doing something shady. There's very little appreciation for honest works or legit hustlers as they are called in Nigeria parlance. This has irk so many struggle youths who are intertwine and profiled by their security operatives as fraudsters.

Below are the know areas where cyber fraud affects negatively in Nigeria.

*Businesses: Alots of businesses that lowered their standard to accommodate the pseudo nouveau rich people, are seeing decline in patronage from responsible and decent working class citizens. Most businesses are carried away with the euphoria of the moment; which is a class character of these fraudsters.

*House Rent: Though rents are determined by laws of demand and supply. As long as tenants compete with each other to collect a house, rental prices increases. It is on this basis that landlords in cities like Lagos now arbitrarily increases house rents to accommodate fraudsters, who are ready to pay any amount to secure a place of their choice.

*Social Lifestyle: The moral life of youths has nosedive with balenciaga, organic cream, small handbags, fur slippers, green wig wearing girls and younglings wearing pencil jeans, graphic tees, earrings and cross bags. Their hubris is something else with no regard for anyone. Everything is about money to them and very loud set of folks.
Though not all yahoo boys are loud, there are some business and cooperate ones like the Italian mafians but entourage movement is their prerequisite.

There are many more ways it impacts negatively in our various countries. You can state your country and its effects on the comment section.

How has cyber fraud affected you?

ckbarnabas

Cybercrime's footprints across the developing world are getting bigger. The aim of this article is to examine the structure of cyber-crimes in developing economies. Its central idea is that economic and institutional factors facing cyber-criminals and potential victims in the developing world are different from those in the developed world. In economies characterized by low internet penetration rates and few resources devoted to fighting cyber crimes, formal institutions related to such crimes tend to be thin and dysfunctional. A cyber-criminal is less likely to be stigmatized in such economies. Moreover, organizations' and individuals' technological and behavioral defense mechanisms are likely to be weaker. Many people in developing economies are also attracted to cyber-crime because of high unemployment and low wages.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I cannot go out to buy clothes in boutiques anymore. The prices of the clothes are not negotiable anymore. They charged me as if they were charging a yahoo guy. Not only this, I tend to check the way I dress most time lest I am being harassed on the street as a yahoo guy.

D

Deleted member 51169

Cybercrime's footprints across the developing world are getting bigger. The aim of this article is to examine the structure of cyber-crimes in developing economies. Its central idea is that economic and institutional factors facing cyber-criminals and potential victims in the developing world are different from those in the developed world. In economies characterized by low internet penetration rates and few resources devoted to fighting cyber crimes, formal institutions related to such crimes tend to be thin and dysfunctional. A cyber-criminal is less likely to be stigmatized in such economies. Moreover, organizations' and individuals' technological and behavioral defense mechanisms are likely to be weaker. Many people in developing economies are also attracted to cyber-crime because of high unemployment and low wages.
You really wowed me with your submission. This is absolutely apt. You captured the realities of what leads to cyber crime in developing countries and at same time juxtapose it with developed countries.

However, you can not outrule the presence of these cyber criminals in developed economies. The only difference I see between both, is their behavioural attitudes when the hit big. While those in developed countries lay low, those in developing countries tend to show off because of corrupt institutions that have created leeway for them to escape indictment. Abba Kyari in Nigeria is a good example of such.

Good luck

Verified member
Cyber crime has a great effect on countries that are really involved..using a deceit act to get hard earn from someone is not a good idea at all.i t tarnishes the country image and also give such country a bad name.individually it does not speak well of the person that is doing it especially when the person is caught and nailed.

Tuitiun

Unfortunately cyber fraud is a growth industry. It will be interesting to watch how it evolves as more generations have grown up with the internet in their life as long as they can remember.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Online fraud is really affecting my country because I come from Nigeria. most people from all parts of the world don't want to deal with anyone who call him or herself a Nigerian because they believe that you are a scammer. This usually take effect on most of the freelancer platforms, once the potential customer discovered that you are from Nigeria they are going to cancel the transaction.

D

Deleted member 51169

Online fraud is really affecting my country because I come from Nigeria. most people from all parts of the world don't want to deal with anyone who call him or herself a Nigerian because they believe that you are a scammer. This usually take effect on most of the freelancer platforms, once the potential customer discovered that you are from Nigeria they are going to cancel the transaction.
That is an adverse effect. Do you know that Nigerians are not among the top notche scammers or hackers (exempting ethical hackers) we have in the world, but unfortunately we have the most loud set of youths; who are in competition with frivolities, who are nothing but feels like Aso rock.

Same US that is painting Nigerians 'black" among comity of nations, has high rate of such crimes and amongst others; just that their scammers are careful of their system, thereby seemingly Saint like nature is created of them while Nigerians are so careless to the point their stupidity affect other facets of legit Nigerians.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
@Inspirator1 you are very correct on this and I am 100% with you. But the problem is that majority of the clients we meet in the marketplace are from United States and their big Media houses as paint Nigeria beyond black, this is creating a serious problem for some of us, as most of the Americans see every Nigerian as potential scammer.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Cyber crime is increasing day by day. Recently, in my town, a 17 years old boy hacked the system of internet service provider. He controlled the servers for more than 12 hours, then he gave away. Afterwards he said, the had pointed the problems in their system but they just dismissed his suggestion and even treated him badly, therefor, he took a revenge by hacking their system.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Unfortunately economic hardship is pushing people to Cyber fraud on daily basis in my country. And this is creating a compound effect on everyone. Those guys that engage in cyber fraud and living flamboyant lifestyle and make those whom hustling hard look lazy. They don't price things they only pay once you've mentioned the price. They are even smashing people's fiance as a result of money they have.

niche

Verified member
In some countries, the largest tech and internet companies are openly involved in cyberfraud on small business owners, especially indian PayPal account holders, hacking their computers to steal data, delete and modify files. These companies are aware that small online business owners have limited resources, and usually cannot take legal action against them, since it is very time consuming.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
In some countries, the largest tech and internet companies are openly involved in cyberfraud on small business owners, especially indian PayPal account holders, hacking their computers to steal data, delete and modify files. These companies are aware that small online business owners have limited resources, and usually cannot take legal action against them, since it is very time consuming.

I think PayPal has a very strong security system, so I do not know how hackers are able to hack PayPal accounts in India. Cyber crime is a growing issue and many scammers and fraudsters tried to target many people during the pandemic. It is always a good idea to never enter your information on suspicious websites or give sensitive information to anyone on the phone.