Difference between Banker and Bank worker

Donkiz

When you step into a bank premises you notice different types of staff from the security, cleaners, concierges, tellers, customer care officers, marketers, etc.

At a glance we all regard all of them as bankers but the truth is that over 90% of the staff are not core staff (bankers) of the bank rather they are outsourced staff (bank workers) seconded to the bank by their different outsourcing companies.

How this works is that these people are recruited by this outsourcing companies and then sent to the bank to work, at the end of the month the bank pay the outsourcing companies an agreed amount of money, the outsourcing companies then remove a part of the pay and give the remaining to the staff.

Fact is the amount that these banks pays the outsourcing companies for the services of the seconded staff is enough for them to employ the staff directly and pay them without going through third-party but they choose otherwise.

Although this don't happen in many developed countries, but this what's obtainable in many developing and third world countries. And this bank workers, unlike bankers, are not entitled to things like health insurance, promotion, profit sharing, etc. They just work until they got tired and leave or get sacked.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I had worked in a bank for 13 years and I agree that lowly workers are outsourced - they are janitors, messengers and drivers. But all the office workers are hired. With the labor law that makes it illegal to hire a temp for more than 6 months so the companies that get outsource workers would have a contract of 5 months only on the pretext that the job is temporary in nature or emergency only. But in truth the work contract of 5 months is just to sidestep the labor law. Anyway, it is not only banks that are doing that, most big companies are on the same boat with the outsourcing.

Donkiz

I had worked in a bank for 13 years and I agree that lowly workers are outsourced - they are janitors, messengers and drivers. But all the office workers are hired. With the labor law that makes it illegal to hire a temp for more than 6 months so the companies that get outsource workers would have a contract of 5 months only on the pretext that the job is temporary in nature or emergency only. But in truth the work contract of 5 months is just to sidestep the labor law. Anyway, it is not only banks that are doing that, most big companies are on the same boat with the outsourcing.
You are very correct, and normally what you said is what should be obtainable in a working society, but the question here is are most of our societies working? That was why I stated that in developed economies this outsourcing thing is very rare and better managed, while some developing countries are equally doing well in that regard.

But there are some countries that are doing absolutely nothing to checkmate the excesses of this organizations and the outsourcing firms who capitalize on the desperation of job seekers which was caused by high rate of unemployment.

My country Nigeria is on this table, the big organizations and the outsourcing firms do as it pleases them without the labour union or the regulatory agencies batting an eyelid. I can comfortably state that when you enter the branches of 99% of banks and most organizations in Nigeria, apart from the operations manager and the marketing manager with their assistants, the rest of the staff are outsourced and some of the outsourced staff have worked with the organizations for many years without any hope of conversion to core staff.