Disadvantages of given children pocket money for use

Heartstrings

Given children some little pocket money is not entirely a bad idea,and it should also be part of your budget in order not to spend more than you have. Given them pocket money all the time is not encouraging at all, because you are indirectly encouraging them on how to spend unnecessarily, except you know there are some things that your children needs to attend to financially and you may not be around them by that particular time. Else you wouldn't have an idea what they use the money for,it may be something that can cause harm and damage to their life or health. Given children money all the time or way much out of what they actually need isn't the right thing to do,this is how some youths are introduce on weed or cigarettes,why because they have enough to spend, or even go to clubs and parties when they should have saved part of it. The type of friends they mingle with also count the most.

Mastergp

Verified member
Just as they is an advantage in giving children pocket money so they is a disadvantages in giving pocket money. Well the reason why they are given pocket money is for them to buy things that they want but when they parent keep giving such child such money the may be expecting money from their parent all the time whereas the are website in which they could earn a lot from. Most children have become independent when it comes to making money the fine it encouraging to work on their own.

So when children are being giving money make it an opportunity to train them to manage what they have many have use those money to spend on items like candy which not be seen as important, and at most cases of such behavior grow in them they could bring up a behavior of spending too much which could bring down ones business.

So when given children pocket money one need to also scrutinize how such child spend that money, as they need guardian or instructions on how to make money.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Yes , I agree with you that giving children pocket money all the time may not really be the best , but at the same time that was not really mean that children who are given this money for school will definitely start spending money unnecessary , it all depends on the training you have impacted on the child..

If you believe that giving it to them everyday could definitely leads to overspending , then it is your responsibility to train their child on how to save some of the money that he or she is being given on daily basis and to use part of the money on something they are interested .

Most of the bad character that is being exhibited by children is always because of the carelessness of the parent, it is very important that parents keep proper eye on their children and correct them for everything that will definitely makes them behaves badly

Rubz

I totally agree with you. Giving children pocket money all the time, is not advisable especially if you as a parent provides all their basic wants and needs. As much as it may encourage children to save, it may also make them spend unnecessary on stupid things. My mum also believed that it isn't right to give children pocket money always since both her and my dad provided us with what we needed. So When i was younger, my mum would give my siblings and i pocket money once in a blue moon and it helped us to learn how to save for something important because we don't know when we might get another pocket money.