Disadvantages of working from or close to home

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Working from home is a great way to save money, time and stress. But there are some disadvantages as well.
Missing out on social interactions – While working from home can be very convenient, it won't always be fun or productive. You may find yourself spending your entire day in front of your computer screen, which can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness.

Not getting enough exercise - Working from home can also mean that you aren't getting the exercise you need to stay healthy and fit. If you're not moving around much, then it's important to find ways to keep active during your work day so that you don't get too many health problems down the line.

Lack of control over your schedule - If you want full control over your work schedule, then working from home isn't for you. This means that you'll have less control over when and how often you work, which can make it difficult for people who like structure in their lives (such as those who need regular 9-5 jobs).

Not having someone else around when you need them - It's great being able to do everything yourself but sometimes it's nice having someone else around when things get tough or stressful.

Etini

Valued Contributor
The major disadvantage is that if you are not disciplined, you would not be efficient in your work if you are working from home. That's because there is nothing to check you and push you to achieve what needs to be achieved. That little push is important for achieving efficiency.

The second limitation is that you can easily be distracted by happenings and events going on at home. We are humans and we are not rigid. We were made to respond. An office environment is devoid of all those things that can make a person distracted easily. But at home, those distractions are there to make you feel like abandoning the work you are doing. Friends and relatives, tv shows are examples of these distractions if you are working from home. In all, moderation is the key. You don't have to soak yourself in other affairs while you are working online from home.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
I think there are many advantages of working close to home. You have ease of transportation and also you have the ability to be punctual.

But a disadvantage that is attached to this is that one may get distracted. For example when you have a small recess, you may have the urge of going home and check on one thing or the other and you may discover that at times, you miss some task and that makes you an inconsistent worker.

I may say that one of the most outstanding and outspoken disadvantage of working from home for me is the distraction that it has attached to it. People from home can easily call you to come home because you are not far and that will lead you into a lot of troubles and I personally know of people that have lost their jobs because of issues that arise from their lack of consistency which is in line with this reason.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Working from home is so good but comes with it's demerits for sure. You will need so much awareness and effort to deal with these demerits. Some of the disadvantages that I can think of include;

1. Distraction are so much at home - right from your children and family members, your entertainment gadgets like tv and movies, noise from neighbors and social activities with your friends. It is so tempting to give in to this distractions because you don't have a boss to be accountable to.

2. Working from home can make you physically inactive - you are just sitting on your computer unlike being in an office where you can work around often. You need to schedule time for physical exercise.

3. Working from home can make you feel lonely - unlike working in an office with other colleagues. Humans are social beings, they feel so uncomfortable working alone.

E

eldavis

Like they say, everything with an advantage also has it's disadvantage. There are lots of advantages when it comes to working form home or close to home, but it also has it disadvantage. Where i used work, majority of the workers where young and their home was nearby, everytime their family members usually come to distract them with one message or the other, to the point it is becoming annoying, they no longer have the passion to come early cause they feel they can come at anytime.