Do I need to thank my boss while recieving my salary by cash?

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
What makes it necessary? Haven't I done what I am hired for? So why do I need to be saying thank you? I am not asking you to answer because I know you may not know the actual reason. I think it is because we always be our boss is our God and we always think we should be respecting them, even some even respect the wife or children of their boss. I don't know why
You're not respecting them in the manner you have just said,the problem is that if you don't behave nicely with him has the right to do fired you, some of this behaviour can actually help your boss to be comfortable and trust you, you are actually the one in need of money that is why you want there,

Richee84

Having a job that you earn a living from is a privilege and for that one should be grateful for. The fact that you are working for your money doesn't mean that one should be ungrateful to his/her employer. Saying thank you for collecting your salary is not a difficult to do and it only show that you are grateful for him to even employ to earn a living.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
I think nothing is bad in saying thank you for receiving your salary. I know it's your right everyone knows that but sometimes we just have to be appreciative and show respect. Because you don't actually know where the bigger opportunity is coming from.

I think I say thank you for most things without even knowing.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I do not think there is anything wrong with greeting your boss if he pays you via method you are comfortable receiving. I once had a job at a company and they rejected my request when I asked them to pay me via some other method other than bank transfer. This suggests that companies usually have their own way of paying employees. So, I do not think there should be any problem with thanking your boss if you get paid in cash and if this is you really want.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
What he meant was that in the case whereby you have the opportunity to see your boss when you are receiving your salary. Then the question is will you thank him? . I think it doesn't matter if you like him or not because it is the job you have done and you deserve to be paid. If you decide to thank him, then there is probably nothing wrong in it also.
Well. Different strokes for different folks. I see nothing wrong for one thanking the boss after a payment. Don't we still do it on this site we still come back to thank the admin after receiving our payment to me it just a courtesy and nothing out of place with it. So that's my point

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Since your boss is making those payment on time, their is nothing bad thanking him in order to gladden his heart. I know we're still labelled liability in the ledger of recommendation. But at least we ought to thank him or her for paying you salary. Their are many that are owed wages working tirelessly for months. Since you didn't witness such long time to receive yours, you should be thankful.

Finger Geek

Verified member
This is a funny question. You work for the money that is been paid to you as salary. So saying thank you is not necessary.
But saying thank you to your boss is a sign of appreciation for been accepted to work with the boss and for the salary been paid.
There are many people out there that doesn't have work to do and there some people working that don't get there salary for many months.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Oh well if you say so, so be it but a lot of times these salaries are not even paid by hand. There are paid into the employees account and you might even have that opportunity to thank your boss. Even some firms salaries are being paid by the cashier or accountant. But all the same there's nothing slavery to me about thanking an employer after receiving payment
What he meant was that in the case whereby you have the opportunity to see your boss when you are receiving your salary. Then the question is will you thank him? . I think it doesn't matter if you like him or not because it is the job you have done and you deserve to be paid. If you decide to thank him, then there is probably nothing wrong in it also.

A K Rao

It really doesn't make any difference to me if I receive my salary in cash or by check. Some times salary is deposited in my savings accounts directly. In my opinion, conveying 'Thanks' is a minimum courtesy and I really don't mind convey the same to him when he is paying salary to me. I fully agree that the salary is our hard-earned money and we have right to get it. But in my opinion conveying thanks is bare minimum courtesy we should have otherwise it looks too rude and lack of basic manners.

Mertayasa

I think it's definitely yes. We should say thank you to our boss for the money that we got. I realize that we got the money because we work or we do something. But doesn't mean that the money that we got just by our self. If we say thank you to our boss, I'm sure that he or she will appreciate that and we'ii get closer to our boss. It's really good to our future careers.​

funmi

Verified member
Hnm.. Have been in this shoe before I know what it means and feels to be expected to say thank you for your own sweat. But, I when I used to collect my salary in cash, I usually say thank you just to fulfill all righteousness. I later got used to it and it means nothing much to me again. Just say thank you and leave there. It won't cost you anything.

Cinderella

We just need to be thankful not only that we receive the money from the employer but for other things as well. Since, the employer handed us the money that we worked hard for, it is but right that we say thank you. Saying thank you can mean a lot of things. First, we are thankful that the money was given to us and we are strong to receive it. Second, saying thank you means we acknowledge the receipt of it.

My salary is automatically credited to my bank account so, I always say thank you Lord whenever payday comes.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I got my first job I personally thanked our manager for the salary envelope that he handed to me. But on the succeeding paydays the salary was credited directly to my bank account and I don't think there is no need to thank our manager. I earned my keep and the salary is what I deserve. But it doesn't mean that I am not appreciative of our boss.

arunima25

Verified member
What makes it necessary? Haven't I done what I am hired for? So why do I need to be saying thank you? I am not asking you to answer because I know you may not know the actual reason. I think it is because we always be our boss is our God and we always think we should be respecting them, even some even respect the wife or children of their boss. I don't know why
A simple Thank you as a courtesy does not hurt anyone. And in fact it is good if done from both sides. But if one employees goes too far to just please his/her boss and out of the process limits, I would not approve of it. That's moral and professional compromise. I would call that boot licking and that shows some lack of character there. Both employees and employer need to respect each other and maintain their dignity. Boot licking compromises with your dignity.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
African and their cultures are very unique. They are known for greeting. They greet to appreciate anything they are as a gift even when the givers see it as a right.

No doubt about it if one concludes that salary is a right and not a privilege. For this sake, we don't really need to appreciate our employers for paying us our salary because we work for it.

But controversy arises when the employers pay us by cash. Won't it look insultive to collect money from your joss without bending or even say thank you. I have found myself in this shoe many times. I just need to say thank you even when I know it is my right.

Am I being too obsequious or being servitude? I don't even know but that's what my culture preach. I think this is a singular reason why employers do see their employees as leeches who only depend on them for survival.

Anytime I think this way or find myself in that ugly situation of saying thank you for collecting the money I work for and have the right to, I do wish I am being stupid.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Nice question, they are actually employing you to work for them and the reason you're working for them is for them to pay you,it might not actually be nice for you to just get the money from your boss and just work out like that ,at least you must show a little appreciation but saying thank you, yes you must do it because it is absolutely necessary.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Nice question, they are actually employing you to work for them and the reason you're working for them is for them to pay you,it might not actually be nice for you to just get the money from your boss and just work out like that ,at least you must show a little appreciation but saying thank you, yes you must do it because it is absolutely necessary.

mantra23

Hi Btaliat,

It is the African way to be grateful for things that we are entitled to, even asking our fellow African, who we had borrowed money to "please pay you back" is crazy. The fact that your employer is paying you cash, is to his benefit. The employer cannot be taxed thus he's making a killing and the books will show positive growth.
So because it is African culture, does that make it right? Employees should try to let the employers know that they are both useful for each others. Without the hardwork of the employees, the business may not grow. And just like we all know workers work for salary, and they won't be paid if they didn't perform their duties. Then why thanking someone that pay you for the job you have done well.
Because it is the African way does not make it right, it just means that culture overlaps logic and we have seen it too many times in different formats of organizational structure. Employers know that without the employees sacrifices the organization will not grow, but the sad reality shows they don't care and will never care if you say thank you or not. We need to realize that, because no matter how much of a superstar you are in the organization, you will always be labelled as a liability in their ledger of appreciation.

Sammyesx

It is not mandatory for you to do such, even your boss will not be expecting you to do so, because you are being paid for your services and not out of charity, if you like to do it will be out of courtesy, just to show appreciation, I personally do it subconscious whenever I receive money from people weather earned or gift.

arunima25

Verified member
It's not only African culture, but it's in every culture. When we receive something we receive it with gratitude and " Thank you" comes out of courtsey. And I don't find anything wrong with it. Both employees and employer have to respect each other and they need each other. Employers too show their gratitude to employees by saying thanks and acknowledging their job well done. They too do it out of courtsey. They don't need to do it as they pay for the job. Similarly, employees do the same on receiving something that is their right. So it's all out of courtsey and that is good.