Do you give beggars money?

Khezo

You've made a good point. But I don't think you should see it that way. Though there are lots of scam beggars out there . But there are also legit ones. Like there are also people who really don't have anything to fall back to. I'm also very guilty of doing this thing, that is not giving some beggars money , I just look at them sometimes and decide if I'm to give the beggar money or not

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I used to be very charitable with beggars because that's a family tradition to give. But when I saw a beggar who was smoking and gambling that changed my stance on them. Even the blind beggars in the streets are begging for the vice and not for food. No, it's been a long time since I have stopped giving money to beggars. I would rather give treats to the kids in our neighborhood.

Chommyluv

It is good to give arms to the needy and that's what I do regularly but the world has turned to something else that one has to be very careful not to fall victim of people with bad intentions. I heard of a friend gave arm and later got attacked spiritually. He's now being embattled with a big sore on his leg all because he was trying to do good. My only advice that you should follow your heart whenever you want to give arm to any beggar.

D

Deleted member 27126

There are some people who have made begging their lifetime career and it is disheartening how they go about it, they tend to behave as though they are entitled to your money. You get to see someone who has got his complete hands and legs begging for money in the street when we have disabled people who are still working to sustain themselves.
I think the number one reason why they continue in this path is because people are giving them continuously that is why and so they find it easy making money that way than going to work hard and make their own money.
I think giving beggars money is more like encouraging laziness, it is better to support those Hawking on the road by leaving your change with them than to give money to people who have made begging their way of life.
What do you think?
I see nothing bad in it. Morally and religiously, it is better to give than to receive. And it is often said and believed that "givers never lack". So if you are blessed and have the opportunity to give a bigger, real beggar, money, it's indeed a very good thing. Whether you are religious or secular, nature does not speak against giving to others who are less privileged or who does not have the means to get themselves their wants or needs. It is praiseworthy to give.

eojo2401

I don't used to give a professional beggar money. If you see the kind of mansions the so called beggar build in the country home, you will be surprised. They will just pretend as if they are poor but they are millionaires. The only time I do give them money is when I was directed by a spiritual father to give money to beggar.

Succjay

There are some people who have made begging their lifetime career and it is disheartening how they go about it, they tend to behave as though they are entitled to your money. You get to see someone who has got his complete hands and legs begging for money in the street when we have disabled people who are still working to sustain themselves.
I think the number one reason why they continue in this path is because people are giving them continuously that is why and so they find it easy making money that way than going to work hard and make their own money.
I think giving beggars money is more like encouraging laziness, it is better to support those Hawking on the road by leaving your change with them than to give money to people who have made begging their way of life.
What do you think?
Yes I do, but beggars are of different types, the disabled ones that cannot work to feign for themselves, and the abled ones that just see begging as an easier way to earn a living. So the ones I give money are the hopeless and disabled ones which can't help themselves. So the later should go and look for something doing to better their lives.

Ekuvero

Before giving out to beggars they are something's I do access cause if you aren't disable and you do beg I won't have any sympathy for you when even the disable do strive to make a living with their own little effort through an handscraft then a person who isn't disable would be begging when you can go out to the street and source for a way to earn a living. Though even am be led by the spirit I do give alms to the poor but some do seize the situation in scamming people of their hard earned money

Emmatyking

Yes I do.There a principle about life, Giver will always have. From the act of giving you open your hand, so the same thing applicable to receiving because your hand is open definitely it will be easy for things to come in

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
There are some kind of beggers that I give money too... The ones with legs I will give money too or perhaps the ones without hands... But you have your 2 legs and hand and you are still trying to extort me of my hard earn money... That's a no from me... Begging is a thing from the mind... Some people are without hands or leg and they still sell little things to keep up with themself... When you've limit your mind to poverty then nothing can be done again.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
What do you think?

D

Deleted member 30343

Initially i do give beggars money especially the crippled and blind once, but lately i no longer give them , not because I don't want to but because of the stories I have heard of people who gave money to beggars and the terrible things that happened to them.

IamDozzy

Personally I don't give beggars money, I prefer to go to the orphanage and give them foodstuff and money than to give an able bodied young man or woman that is a beggar. Reason for this decision is that as a young person I work hard for my money and I don't get to plug money from the tree, what stops me from begging like them. If everybody takes to begging what is the society going to look like. I only give money to the physically challenged, orphans and people with special needs because I know it isn't easy for those lots.

Queentener

@springtech the person who created this thread didn't say giving to the less privileged, the person said beggars who are able bodied, able bodied means not physically challenged, and I f I must say these beggars are not poor some has houses built by them, this Bible you are quoting also says if you do not work you should not eat. I do not support begging and I don't give them money.

Nii41

The truth is that I don't always give beggars money, not because I dont want to but because of the stories I have heard of people who gave money to beggars and the terrible things that happened to them. Although there was a time I was in the market and a boy walked up to me to ask for money, I couldn't help but give him the money. There are some bad people that have used begging to cause people problems which has now made one scared to help the genuine ones. In the end as long as you pray before helping a beggar, nothing would happen to you.

springtech

What do you think?
At every point in time you can either be a giver or a receiver. The bibles says it is better to give than to receive, in fact the bible says as long as the earth remains , seed time and harvest will not cease, and that the poor will never cease in our land. For me I believe it is a privilege to be the giver and not the receiver. And when you give you are simply sowing, and when you sow, you will surely reap/harvest.
I don't have problems with anyone begging me for money, if i have i give if I don't have I don't give, at least I won't steal to satisfy anyone. But what is important is I recognize the fact that i am a channel of blessing to anyone that begs me for help.

Teatea

You can only receive when you release what you have already have in hand or hold. I help in the little way I can when I see people in need, and not only the beggars in the street are in need. There are many people around us that are helpless, so when anyone comes to me for help, I do the best I can. Not everyone begging on the street is happy about it, some had no choice.

D

Deleted member 28873

It actually good to help but that doesnt mean you should go about getting scammed.yeah I do give beggers arms some times, not all beggers are meant to be Given money too.Given an human being who is begging with complete body money is like throwing money away to me because you are encouraging him or she to keep begging.It actually disheartening to know that the population of people begging in our community is very large most of them has turned to a family business. I do give arms to people I feel lyk they really need it.

Caramelle

I do give money or food to beggars, especially to those who are obviously in need. While common sense tells us not to give alms in order to motivate them to look elsewhere and work for money, the truth is it's not easy at all to find work especially when you have to care for a baby at the same time. Some people were born and raised in the most disadvantageous circumstances and they need help to get out of the trap. While I am not strong or wealthy enough to lead them out of the pit, I can contribute by helping them in my own little way.

I used to have this mindset that giving alms will just encourage beggars to be lazy and dependent on people's help. Life surely has taught me a lot of lessons about life and love. Whenever I have doubts about giving, I just go back to what the bible has to say about giving alms and helping our neighbors. Whatever we do to the least of our brothers, we are doing it to God. I give alms when I see someone in need because I'm a Christian and I may never pass that way again and thus I grab the opportunity to help. That said, I normally don't give alms to people who look stronger and healthier than me and can do manual labor to earn money for his upkeep.​

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
The the Bible and even the holy Quran are in support for individuals to always help the needy , in fact there was a law provided by God in the Bible times that when an individual goes to his or her farm land to cultivate he should not cultivate all the crops but rather remain few of his or her crops for the Poor including the fatherless and motherless children . Into this world there are a lot of poor people who beg on the streets and to us we call them beggers some of them are in the state or condition which they are as a result of being an orphan , going bankrupt or being handicap etc . Personally when I see people in the above categories begging for money , I try my best by giving them any cash in my pocket .

But one thing we must understand about beggars is that a whole lot of them have taken this begging as their own profession . Just as you are taking your bath to go to your work place to begin the work of the day their themselves are also preparing to stand in their respective poses and places of begging .

E

eldavis

I usually walk down to my place of work every day, there is these two beggers close to my working place. I usually give to them. I did not make it a habit to give to them every single day, but whenever I have spare change I do give to them just out of good will.