Do you seek mentorship before starting your business??

Godslamp

It has always be said that if u want to succeed follow those what have traded the path of success u what to walk in. It is necessary for any one that want to succeed in business to have a mentor who is more experienced than he is that can help him get over some business difficulties

sincerem

VIP Contributor
For one to t gain more experience and understanding of a Particular business or organization,one need a good mentor that will always be there to render advice at every point in time to be able to succeed what one is doing.Mentoring is very good,it broaden ones mind and make one to be more focus.
A good mentor is needed to broaden one's business ideas and makes such kind of person to be very enlightened on the business he or she chooses to enroll into. Some start up a business they don't know about, that's why they didn't go far with it. They failed to ask questions, seek consultation from a mentor.

Setho

VIP Contributor
I have plans of one day starting my own business and in those plans there is a space where by I would need a mentor. It is true that many information is available on the internet today but it is also true that a lot of things are better learnt from people who have done it before that is why I'm going to seek a mentor.

Good luck

Verified member
For one to t gain more experience and understanding of a Particular business or organization,one need a good mentor that will always be there to render advice at every point in time to be able to succeed what one is doing.Mentoring is very good,it broaden ones mind and make one to be more focus.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Since I am not a professional in all areas I will rather choose to learn from others to improve my understanding about a certain business , so that I can earn more money from my business , learning from a mentor is a very good idea because mentor would guide you on the business path to follow and reduce your chances of failing
At first time start a mentor will guide you well when it comes to running a business. Since you're just started for the first time, seeking a professional advise is ideal. Eben though I didn't seek an advise from a professional entrepreneur with enormous experience cos I got long time idea about the business I'm managing now.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I have not started any business but I will make it compulsory for myself to seek the help of mentorship and consultancy before I start a business. Seeking mentorship doesn't mean one is not knowledgeable but it means one needs more knowledge because no one is an island of knowledge. Also, this will allow one to still learn some other skills and methods regarding the business.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Since I am not a professional in all areas I will rather choose to learn from others to improve my understanding about a certain business , so that I can earn more money from my business , learning from a mentor is a very good idea because mentor would guide you on the business path to follow and reduce your chances of failing

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Setting up a business can be very easy if you have the financial capabilities to do so. But the problem is not about starting a business, the problem is how to manage and propagates the business, which so many business owners lack. This is why it's advisable to have a business mentor to put you on track when you are going astray in your business. A business mentor can be anybody, so far they are more knowledgeable than you in the area of the business.
You're right dear. When starting the business earlier time we may not have the ability to run it at best we can. But going to an expert business owner that also deals same business with yours is ideal, cos he or she will guide you on what to do first time to set up your business, how yo manage the risk, and control your finance to run for longer time.

Mika

VIP Contributor
When I started my online business, I did not seek mentorship. If I ever start an offline business, I will not seek mentorship either. However, before I started a business, I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of people who were in a similar field. If I am starting another business, I will be doing the same. I like to trust myself.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Setting up a business can be very easy if you have the financial capabilities to do so. But the problem is not about starting a business, the problem is how to manage and propagates the business, which so many business owners lack. This is why it's advisable to have a business mentor to put you on track when you are going astray in your business. A business mentor can be anybody, so far they are more knowledgeable than you in the area of the business.

Planet408

There is wisdom in learning the business you want to do. You can seek for mentorship if necessary. But then, you still need to be careful on who's mentorship you seek for. Not all mentorship is worth it. Some so called mentors can have an ulterior motive in trying to guide you in your business.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
It was actually not a mentor but just an informal consultation on some parts of the business. Retailing is not a complex business unless you are dealing with special products. With computer supplies it was as simple as buying the supply and delivering it to customers. But in my first business of selling clothing items I did not consult anyone.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I believe the idea of starting a business or let me say the main goal is to make money, generate profit and course see the business expand over time. It will be a waste of time, effort and resources if you start a business that fails to meet it's set targets as listed above.
And the only way that can happen is if the business owner does not understand what it takes to achieve success in a chosen line of business.
As simple as some businesses appear, there are some hidden trade secrets that need to be learnt, and how do you learn if you don't subject yourself to apprenticeship to understudy an expert in that field.

It's just like reading and writing, you cam only learn how to read and write only if you submit yourself to be taught by a teacher.

So, apprenticeship is key. It can come in whatever form. But it is important to go through that period of learning.
You're correct, for one to be a pro in whatever he does he must be an apprentice first. We learn from expert before starting with any given career choice. We don't need to rely solely on our own ideas. Learning and adding adding useful knowledge to our own will help establish us the more better. No one is an island, we learn everyday to put in practice what we've learned and to be successful with it.

springtech

When it comes to business not everyone seek mentorship before going on, to start it up. Some depend on their own vision and ideas to drive their own business achieving success. While some choose to attend seminars where they mentor them particularly about what to do to succeed in business. By inculcating that basic ideas through semi - formal education to them which will give them advantage ahead of venturing in the business field. Mentorship will help us advance better in our business through the orientation garnered from business pro's, experts etc. In order to manage our business the best possible way.
I believe the idea of starting a business or let me say the main goal is to make money, generate profit and course see the business expand over time. It will be a waste of time, effort and resources if you start a business that fails to meet it's set targets as listed above.
And the only way that can happen is if the business owner does not understand what it takes to achieve success in a chosen line of business.
As simple as some businesses appear, there are some hidden trade secrets that need to be learnt, and how do you learn if you don't subject yourself to apprenticeship to understudy an expert in that field.

It's just like reading and writing, you cam only learn how to read and write only if you submit yourself to be taught by a teacher.

So, apprenticeship is key. It can come in whatever form. But it is important to go through that period of learning.

Lekhraj19

Verified member
Yes, I would seek mentorship at the time and even now, through the forum posts and comments I am coming across a lot of points of consider while going with a business. But, at the same tome when you are not exposed to it you will not get the factual thing. But, yes seeking for ideas and guidaay is important.

Adetayo100

You need to seek mentorship when starting a business it is very important to have this knowledge and mingle with people that are already in the business before you. Not only that you need to a very wide knowledge of the business before you dabble into it and also have a very good business plan so that the business won't crumble after a few months

sincerem

VIP Contributor
When it comes to business not everyone seek mentorship before going on, to start it up. Some depend on their own vision and ideas to drive their own business achieving success. While some choose to attend seminars where they mentor them particularly about what to do to succeed in business. By inculcating that basic ideas through semi - formal education to them which will give them advantage ahead of venturing in the business field. Mentorship will help us advance better in our business through the orientation garnered from business pro's, experts etc. In order to manage our business the best possible way.

Hena101

Yeah seek mentorship from several business men that are doing the kind of business i intended to start for guidance and this is what is required from anyone intended to start any kind of business because it can help in shortening your journey into the business and also reduce risk you would have take if there is no mentorship and also help you laverage on their experience to booster the business

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Yes I seek advice and mentorship before starting any business venture, this is to ensure I am on he right track and don't take any wrong decisions. When I intend starting any business I look for someone who has vast experience in the field or area of business and I ask him to tutor me on the basics. Doing this coupled with my own research has never failed me in any business venture, this is the strategy I use and it has always worked for me.
Anyone that chooses a mentor that has vast knowledge about your specific business initiative is a wise person that is eager to grow as an entrepreneur. I know how hard it is to succeed in a business, talk more of starting a business with out a basic knowledge about it. That's why we nerd mentorship to get started.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
The Bible says "my people perished because they lack knowledge" to start a business, you need someone that is in that business to put you through, guide and mentor you. Before I started my offline business, I went to a woman, who trained me and I choose her as my mentor since then.
Its good that you learned from that bible verse you quoted here to seek mentorship from an expert that knew about your preferred business initiative. That is wise of you to have chosen that one to be your business mentor cos you got something which you needed to run and manage your business the best possible way you could.