Does gender determine choice of business?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Going through @funmi post on female having a barbing salon made me wonder if a particular business is meant for a particular sex.

I don't know the yardstick that people are measuring works for each sex with. In the olden days, it may be easy to determine which business of works is suitable for a particular gender but these days, it is not.

People will be bear me witness that there is no job or business that both gender can not successfully partake in these days. The evidence is so glaring in our society.

I have seen a male hairdresser which one could have thought it is meant for female and also I have a seen a female driver, which people believe to be handled by male. Many examples like that filled our societies.

In conclusion, I don't believe there is a particular job or business designed exclusively for a particular gender. It all depends on passion and capabilities of the gender.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Talking about this, gender does not play a role in people's choice of business at all, the world has gone past that stage and we see both men and women involving in different businesses that they have passion for and they are good at it. You can not tell which business would do for a man or a woman.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Talking about this, gender does not play a role in people's choice of business at all, the world has gone past that stage and we see both men and women involving in different businesses that they have passion for and they are good at it. You can not tell which business would do for a man or a woman.
Lolz, there are some business that women are not interested to do, example of such business should be babing of hair, this business is not prohibited for women to do but you might hardly find a woman who might be interested to go into this type of business and they believe it is only a business for the men.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
To be candid I think gender sometimes does really matter, although there is a saying that goes thus; that whatever a man can do a woman can as well do better. But the reality is that there are some kind of hustle and hassle that a woman might not really hold forth or last a day. There are certainly some business a woman can not really fit in likewise a man too might not fit in.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Going through @funmi post on female having a barbing salon made me wonder if a particular business is meant for a particular sex.

I don't know the yardstick that people are measuring works for each sex with. In the olden days, it may be easy to determine which business of works is suitable for a particular gender but these days, it is not.

People will be bear me witness that there is no job or business that both gender can not successfully partake in these days. The evidence is so glaring in our society.

I have seen a male hairdresser which one could have thought it is meant for female and also I have a seen a female driver, which people believe to be handled by male. Many examples like that filled our societies.

In conclusion, I don't believe there is a particular job or business designed exclusively for a particular gender. It all depends on passion and capabilities of the gender.
Well, I think the ideology worked years ago but now it no longer holds water. This is because whatever works a man can do can be done by a woman today. So there’s no need talking about gender-based jobs because such has no place in the modern world of today

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Sometimes gender determine the choice of business people venture into. in my area a lot of women are into grocery business and of course I don't see a lot of men who do this kind of business. transportation business is also another business that a lot of men venture into and you rarely see any woman who is into it. So, gender really determines the choice of business.

IamDozzy

I strongly agree with the poster above who says gender sometimes influence business choices, a typical example is those into the makeup business for weddings and other social events in Nigeria. 99% or them are of the female sex because it's mostly females that pick up interest in learning the skill of make-up. Most men do not fancy having make up skills because they aren't into it. However, it is worthy to note that not all businesses are gender based , for example there are make hairdressers and females as well .

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
There are businesses that has a gender preference. One example is the salon. When it is for women then women beauticians are there. It is awkward to see a male beautician unless that male is gay. I know that such businesses that require gender preference is due to tradition and for me it is just all right.

funmi

Verified member
In my own pinion, I don't think gender should be considered in the choice of business. As long as you can do the business and you know about the business you are about to do, there is no need to consider gender here. If the business will be difficult for any of the gender, he or she can appoint the opposite gender to assist in the difficult areas.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Even though gender does not determine what business you should do, sometimes it is quite normal to see some business being done by a certain gender. For example, a sigh of a woman working in a beauty salon is more common and also convincing for us compacted to a man working in a beauty salon.

Richee84

Generally gender should not determine the choice of business ones need to venture into. Though the society we are today seems to define certain work for certain gender. There are some work or business that the society or culture felt should be left in the hand of a particular gender. For example a man opening a Restaurant in those days is not acceptable in the society as the society see cooking as the sole responsibility of a woman.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
In my own pinion, I don't think gender should be considered in the choice of business. As long as you can do the business and you know about the business you are about to do, there is no need to consider gender here. If the business will be difficult for any of the gender, he or she can appoint the opposite gender to assist in the difficult areas.
This is most brilliant contribution I have read so far the topic is concerned. It is not a gainsaying that society has divided jobs based on gender. That is why it will be absurd seeing men plaiting hair though it is now acceptable, or seeing women doing gym instructors. But just like you said, passion should be the sole determinant and not gender and a passionate intending business person can easily employ a capable hand

A K Rao

Yes, I also fully agree with you. When both the genders can work in any office, hospital, laboratory and other places why can't to having the business of their own. Just imagine female nurses taking care of the male patients where they dedicate everything for them. So in my opinion there is no particular business that can be attached to a particular gender as it is the skill and the knowledge that count and nothing else.

Richee84

I think it depend on the type of society and the culture of the people living there. While there is still some society that reserve some work for men to do and some only the women are find doing it. This has been their cultural practice and believe in the society. But in a modern society there is no limit to what business any gender can do.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
That is very true. There is no business that is meant for any particular gender these days. Anyone can partake in any business of his/her choice. Unlike in the past when people were grouped into feminine and masculine roles. Now giving everyone an equal chance has been such a great improvement. However, switching feminine and masculine roles seems to have had great disadvantages for romantic relationships.