Early to bed and early to rise

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Don’t laugh at the title because until now that adage is still effective. Most of the seniors that I know have admitted that they are sleeping earlier when they became a senior. The usual tv program that starts at 9 pm or 10 pm is now out of their menu because by the time the tv program starts their eyes also start to droop.

Our family doctor said that sleeping early has many benefits because the body is attuned to natural light. That means it is better to sleep at night and wake up by dawn. That means if you sleep late and you wake up by 7 am then you are not really doing justice to the natural needs of your body. In my experience I feel energetic when I wake up early especially when I got a good sleep of 7 to 8 hours. When I have nothing to do at night then I just do crossword puzzle to tire my eyes and sleep will come within 10 minutes.

Samuel72

Verified member
Well sometimes it is good for you to sleep very early according to the normal procedure but due to the situation of the country our jobs and our personal issues keeps us awake even at night, over here in my country some people sleep by 11 p.m. due to the situation of their job. You can only follow this normal procedure if you have a business of your own.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
In the word ma of my daddy. He does warn me never to love sleep. He told me that whoever loves sleep is toying with poverty. According to the medical expert, 8 hours of sleep per day is essential but daddy will tell me to be sleeping for just 4 hours now. That there will be a time I will even be having more than enough time to sleep.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Yes you are right but some time some people will still go to bed early yet the will still wake up late in the morning while some people Will sleep late and still wake early.
Though it is good health wisely but in a country where by every body is hustling and you must wake up early despite you sleep late.
And this also depend on individual attitude sometime because if you tell some people to sleep early they can not do it and if they did there is tendency that they will wake up early again.

arunima25

Verified member
Well, I have a very sound sleep and a very good sleep-wake rhythm. I sleep at 10-10;30 in night and start my day early at 5 -5;30AM. I also take a good 45 minutes power nap in afternoon.
I totally agree that good sleep is a must for all health reasons..be it your mental health, emotional health or physical one. Sleep definitely helps with boosting our immunity.

arunima25

Verified member
Human beings are diurnal beings. Our physiology and anatomy work in accordance with the day and light cycle of the nature. And so we need to respect that and set our routine according to the day and night cycle. A good sleep wake rhythm with the nature is beneficial in so many ways.
In cases where people have odd hours of work and do go against the natural rhythm , complications do arise in long run. Studies have found people working in shifts or having night duties get health issues in long run. We can take them as occupational hazards.

Fatima143

Don’t laugh at the title because until now that adage is still effective. Most of the seniors that I know have admitted that they are sleeping earlier when they became a senior. The usual tv program that starts at 9 pm or 10 pm is now out of their menu because by the time the tv program starts their eyes also start to droop.

Our family doctor said that sleeping early has many benefits because the body is attuned to natural light. That means it is better to sleep at night and wake up by dawn. That means if you sleep late and you wake up by 7 am then you are not really doing justice to the natural needs of your body. In my experience I feel energetic when I wake up early especially when I got a good sleep of 7 to 8 hours. When I have nothing to do at night then I just do crossword puzzle to tire my eyes and sleep will come within 10 minutes.
Well all I can say that u r right at this point of view go to bed early yet the will still wake up late in the morning while some people Will sleep late and still wake early.
Though it is good health wisely but in a country where by every body is hustling and you must wake up early despite you sleep late. After this also depend on individual attitude sometime because if you tell some people to sleep early they can not do it and if they did there is tendency that they will wake up early again.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I usually do not sleep early at night. Night time is my most convenient time to do a lot of school work and readings which I do not get to do in the afternoon. I can't remember the last time that I slept before 12am, I am always awake on my reading desk doing one or two things that would add value to my life generally.
I try to wake up late though, since I do not use to sleep very early at night.

arunima25

Verified member
Many a times we can't follow this golden rule of early to bed and early to rise due to the obligations that we have. And then there are people who are more active and productive in night. And sometimes night is the only time you get to do stuff. Especially in your University and student life. Your days are busy and you have to finish all your assignments, projects and test preparation on time and night is the only time you get to do them.
But when it is not a compulsion, one should try to be in synch with Nature's rhythm.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I usually do not sleep early at night. Night time is my most convenient time to do a lot of school work and readings which I do not get to do in the afternoon. I can't remember the last time that I slept before 12am, I am always awake on my reading desk doing one or two things that would add value to my life generally.
I try to wake up late though, since I do not use to sleep very early at night.
That was my lifestyle when I was younger. I used to write stories and scripts for varied reasons - contests, workshops, movie projects. But I was a smoker during that time so I could stay awake after midnight with my cigarettes. In 2007 when I quit smoking my bedtime moved earlier and earlier. Now I sleep by 9 pm and wake up by 5 am.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
It's not good for our body if we are going to bed late. It will definitely affect our psychology if you are working late till midnight before you go to bed. I think this can very dangerous to our health because as you are depriving yourself a normal sleep, you are also depriving your brain from working effectively.

When we go to bed early, it allows our body to reset itself and get ready for the activities of the next day. And if you are not sleeping very well, you will be weak for the next day's activities.

arunima25

Verified member
That was my lifestyle when I was younger. I used to write stories and scripts for varied reasons - contests, workshops, movie projects. But I was a smoker during that time so I could stay awake after midnight with my cigarettes. In 2007 when I quit smoking my bedtime moved earlier and earlier. Now I sleep by 9 pm and wake up by 5 am.
People opting for smoking and other things like caffeine to stay awake and do things are actually playing with their health. When one is young, one does not realize that these things can be so bad for our health in long run. When the body asks for rest, one should listen to it. Caffeine and smoking can make you be awake but then it upsets so many body rhythms and that leads to other health issues later. It's good that you quit smoking. It was a good step for your health.