Earn Money Writing: DesertUSA

Holicent

VIP Contributor
After receiving some comments on my threads, I would like to share additional information about websites that "get paid to write" and things to keep in mind or do to get your article accepted and published; however, doing so would only make my thread longer. Even if the link does not appear to work on this website, I will try to include an anchor that will allow you to navigate the website.

To present an article, story or individual experience to DesertUSA.com for conceivable distribution to bring in cash you can do as such by making the strides recorded underneath.

Guidelines for DesertUSA Writers

DesertUSA.com is a regional publication based on the Internet that focuses on travel, wildlife, geology, desert lore, and cultural and natural history of the North American desert regions. The DesertUSA website currently receives approximately 550,000 monthly visitors. The majority of nations subscribe to their service.

The editorial focus of DesertUSA.com is on travel in the North American Desert and its surroundings. Their website has a strong focus on natural and cultural history, which attracts a lot of readers. Their editorial also consistently includes photo essays, events, adventure, desert lore, southwest arts and crafts, and adventure. They pay $50 for each photo-filled article they use.

Wildlife (Natural History)
A feature that covers a specific animal or plant species, biome, or ecosystem in between 1200 and 1500 words. With an emphasis on education, wildlife conservation, and personal experience, the first or third person is preferred. They want readers to be entertained while learning. Unless DesertUSA.com agrees to provide them, photographs are required.

Native American and Southwest Arts and Crafts
Art plays a significant role in the cultural history of the Southwest. Photos are required for these features, which range in length from 1200 to 1500 words. Accepted is first or third person. Examples of subjects include: Navajo rugs, jewelry, pottery, Kachina dolls, sand painting, Native American tools, and other things There must be pictures.

Adventure
Any outdoor activity can be considered an adventure. Adventure features are written from a personal experience point of view and typically have between 1200 and 1500 words. Do not provide lengthy directions to the location; this information can be included in a Travel Notes sidebar. The geology of the area where you went on your adventure, the plants and animals you saw, and your interpretation of the activity should be the focus of the article. Adventure activities like rock climbing, river rafting, and back road auto tours can all be turned into exciting adventure stories. There must be pictures.

Travel
DesertUSA wants readers to learn about every charming little town, picturesque park, remote ghost town, and off-the-beaten-path location. Travel highlights range from 1200 to 1500 words and deciphers where explorers can visit. First or third individual is OK. The content should concentrate on what visitors can see and do when they visit this special location. What kinds of animals and plants can a traveler encounter on the way? Are there any out-of-the-ordinary geological features or interesting points of interest that must be seen? The article is more interesting and readers gain a better understanding of the location thanks to personal experience and perspective. There must be pictures.
History
This section covers history from prehistoric and Native American cultures to recent events that have taken place in the last few hundred years. Examples of cultural history topics include ancient cultures, historical sites, legendary trailblazers, explorers, settlers, and cowboys. A list of sources is required, and historical features range in length from 1200 to 1700 words. There must be pictures.

Desert Lore
There are many stories of lost mines, ghosts, treasures, and mysterious ships that can be seen in the shifting sands of the desert. A source list and notes on any fictional content are required for features, which should be between 1000 and 1500 words. There must be pictures.

DesertUSA requires that all manuscript text be sent to them electronically as an attachment to an email. Send the email to [email protected] with DesertUSA_submissions as the subject.

Last edited:
From this your review, it is evident that this site won't work well for people that are outside the United States. At best, it could only be available for tier 1 country residents. I have gone through the site and discovered it aligns towards adventurous travels. That's obviously a difficult niche to write on even if they were to accept Nigerians on the site.

That's because we don't really have time to go on adventures. We are always working and working and working. If it is not done like that, we won't make ends meet. So this niche is automatically for people in tier 1 countries that have the time and resources to go on vacation.

I know the platform would be interesting for readers considering the vast wealth of information that would be shared there. Just going through their homepage, I was convinced of that. No wonder they have a large audience.

Thank you for your response on the thread on DesertUSA. It is important to note that the site is geared towards adventure travel, which may not be accessible or relevant to all readers, especially those in countries with limited vacation time and resources. However, the site does offer a wealth of information on adventure travel and may be of interest to readers in countries with more leisure time and resources. It is also important to recognize that the site has a large audience and may appeal to a wide range of readers, regardless of their location or travel availability.

However, despite the unavailability of some writers from those countries you have in mind, I strongly believe some from such countries will still meet up the demands. We have those that love traveling in African countries too and some even live on that. As a writer, as far as you are eligible to write, I see nothing stopping you from writing if the pay is worth the stress.