Employee has a side job without permission

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
During my time that IT was still with the main frame computers so many tech people have side jobs. That may be due to lack of techs in those days. My boss who was the systems programmer in our bank was always absent because he was working on another bank and he comes to our office just once a week. I was lucky to be his assistant that I learned so much because I was the one who was handling the work of my boss.

In big corporations an employee with an extra job should have the explicit permission of the HR department otherwise he may be accused of double compensation. Do you think that a permanent employee should not have a side job? That will interfere with his focus on the company.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Hmm, at times it happens, but don't expect such to happen in an organisation that is very strict when it comes to availability. They'll make sure everyone is available at the right time to give to the company their all in order to move the company higher and not moving from one workplace to another.

Sammyesx

I don't really see a problem with having a side job at long as both jobs timing does not interfere with the other. Most people that don't get pay enough to cover their full expenses do these to balance the expenses. personal I won't seek permission from my superior if I have a side job unless he is very trustworthy and understanding.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Well it always happens sometimes but this is not really the best, if you are working under a company and you want to have a side work you must allow the organisation you are working for to organise a new working time to suit the new one you are about to do, they are the one that hired you to work for them,

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I don't really see a problem with having a side job at long as both jobs timing does not interfere with the other. Most people that don't get pay enough to cover their full expenses do these to balance the expenses. personal I won't seek permission from my superior if I have a side job unless he is very trustworthy and understanding.
Okay, if the job gig doesn't affect your regular schedule then it is just wise to engage yourself on the side hustle job. I have an offline business, but it doesn't hinder from engaging my time online, i engage myself online to add more to my offline earnings to enable me pay my bills and make ends meet. I know the drive for money doesn't end as long as one lives, but chasing it legally is worthwhile.