Factors to consider before accepting a particular job!

PICKFORD

Verified member
It's tempting to accept a job offer right away if you've secured one following a lengthy application process. However, you should take a long breath and consider whether this is the best decision for you or not. It is also not just about how much you are going to be paid it's also how well you fit in with the right culture and values at the company that you want to join. Consider the entire compensation package, including salary and benefits. Consider the job description and if you would be happy working at this job with this company. You don't have to say "yes" right away if you are going to accept. Ask the employer when they need a response, so you can make an informed decision. Employee benefits can represent huge part of your total compensation package. It's important to take the time to review what you're offered to make sure it's what you and your family need at this stage in your working life,
A great retirement plan can remarkably increase and boost the value and worth of a job offer. Employer match, vesting schedule, and investment options are some important factors to consider. Compare the plan you currently have with what you're being offered to determine what's really being offered.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
There are indeed so many factors to consider when you are accepting an offer for a job. I know having a good paying job seem like every ones dreams, everyone desires to have a good that will pay all the bills and still make some money available for savings and make us live very comfortably. But the reality is that not all job offer should be accepted.

One the basic things we normally consider before accepting a job offer is the pay, if the pay is good and measurable to one's qualifications then such a job can be considered for acceptance because having a job that satisfy one's needs financially will make the job easy to do. The pay is actually the attracting factor to the job.

Another factor is the working environment, if the working environment and office space is clear and conducive this will make one to also consider the job, because it will bring about some level of convenience.

We also consider those working in the organization to know how friendly they are and how they interact with themselves as a team.

We also consider the distance of our place of work to our place of residence, this is important to check our cost implications.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was a computer programmer for a commercial bank, I was invited by a friend to apply to their new company. My 2 years experience and my programming skills are my assets. I was earning 1,200 and the offer was 2,000. It is almost double at first glance. I was fortunate that my father was closely in touch with my career. He said that I should take everything in consideration. My present job gives 3 months bonus in a year while the new company gives only 2 months. But the biggest factor is the workweek - they work from Monday to Saturday while in my present job we work only from Monday to Friday,. My father said that the new company is just like paying me to work on Saturdays. That is true. Having the Saturday for myself is big deal especially that I was thinking of getting married at that time. No, I did not take the job offer.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Personally I will always like to be self-employed because I consider it as the most suitable way of generating income to myself , I do not like working for the government or any other private organisation but I may be so much interested to start up my own personal business because that is just the best way for me to be free from the slavery work of government that you have to do from Monday to Friday..

Over here as we all understand working for private business organisation may be so stressful because a lot of them are not really interested about you but they are just interested on how to used you for the main purpose of developing their business , even when they are likely to pay lower because they are taking the advantage of high unemployment rate in the country.

Even if I have to get a job from the government there are things I have to consider which the most important thing is the payment. Looking to work for the government I have to look into the payments first because if they are not paying what can give me a sustainable income on monthly basis then such employment won't really be profitable to me.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Personally I will always like to be self-employed because I consider it as the most suitable way of generating income to myself , I do not like working for the government or any other private organisation but I may be so much interested to start up my own personal business because that is just the best way for me to be free from the slavery work of government that you have to do from Monday to Friday..

Over here as we all understand working for private business organisation may be so stressful because a lot of them are not really interested about you but they are just interested on how to used you for the main purpose of developing their business , even when they are likely to pay lower because they are taking the advantage of high unemployment rate in the country.

Even if I have to get a job from the government there are things I have to consider which the most important thing is the payment. Looking to work for the government I have to look into the payments first because if they are not paying what can give me a sustainable income on monthly basis then such employment won't really be profitable to me.

Kendy

Verified member
There are actually different factors I consider before taking up a job offer. I actually look at or look out for a job which has a higher level of job security attached to it. For instance, if I am being offered a government job and I am being offered a private job at the same renumeration rate or salary package, I will definitely go for a government job this is because there is high level of job security, it is pensionable and also you receive gratuity after your active years of service whereas most private organisations can actually dismiss you when you least expected and this was mostly evidence during the covid-19 pandemic which went all out as an eye opener to tell us that the government workers are at a more advantage when it comes to job security because they were still being paid even at the time of the pandemic while some private workers lost their jobs in the process. Therefore, the first thing I look out for in any job is the security level, I also look at the salary package because I cannot deceive myself to be motivated by mere work. An individual or a worker needs something to push him or her to carry out his or her duties effectively.

Ebenn3

It's tempting to accept a job offer right away if you've secured one following a lengthy application process. However, you should take a long breath and consider whether this is the best decision for you or not. It is also not just about how much you are going to be paid it's also how well you fit in with the right culture and values at the company that you want to join. Consider the entire compensation package, including salary and benefits. Consider the job description and if you would be happy working at this job with this company. You don't have to say "yes" right away if you are going to accept. Ask the employer when they need a response, so you can make an informed decision. Employee benefits can represent huge part of your total compensation package. It's important to take the time to review what you're offered to make sure it's what you and your family need at this stage in your working life,
A great retirement plan can remarkably increase and boost the value and worth of a job offer. Employer match, vesting schedule, and investment options are some important factors to consider. Compare the plan you currently have with what you're being offered to determine what's really being offered.
Great piece here. I like your posts

Chibson

VIP Contributor
There are certain things you must consider before you accept if any job offer. Sometimes many people are very desperate when it comes to accepting job offers and they do not consider the risks that may have in their career. This often happens in geographical locations where there is a huge unemployment rate but that should not really blind you from knowing that before you accept any job you should do some evaluations and considerations. It is very important that before you accept any job, such job must give you the opportunity to grow in your particular field and it must also give you the opportunity to build your own business idea. sometimes a lot of people go into various jobs not because they want to stay there permanent but they want to gather experience on how to start their own businesses. So that must be put into consideration before accepting. Another important thing you need to consider is the location of such a business venture. If the location of the business is not friendly then you have no other option than to reject it. It doesn't make sense for you to spend your salary transporting yourself everyday. And lastly, the salary is also another major factor. If it is worth it then you should go ahead, if it is not today you should go ahead and reject.

CypherRock

I personally love working from home, this i considered most times and I enjoyed it more during Covid 19 era and now been the post covid period, most of the jobs I was doing was just on HYVE, a freelancing platform.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It is not just about accepting a job over from a company or organization but there are certainly so many things that individuals right to make sure they do not miss out on simply because they need a job at the moment .

Some of us usually are very desperate and do not take time to even make any analysis before going ahead to accept such job offers, only to realize in the end that it is not what you actually thought and we may end up ruining our lives and several opportunities that could have presented if we went for other options

Some of the things to consider are :

1. Make sure that they have enough provision for basic things like transportation and other miscellaneous charges.

2. Try to do a background check to realize whether they usually have some default when it comes to paying their employees at the right time .

3. Make sure that the organization you are accepting a job offer for is not very far from your location , in a way that will stress you.

4. Make sure you negotiate the salary to the amount that you think you are worth, and not just accept their first offer of the amount they want to pay you.

Rachael

Verified member
The factors I consider when choosing a job, first of all depends on the location. I cannot be in Nigeria and accept a job which would require my presence in Ghana without provision of an accommodation, this is because I would not sleep or work under the bridge. Location comes first to me and then, I try to make findings about the welfare of the employees from an outsider who has once worked there, to know the reason why he or she resigned. There are some organizations that are very toxic and someone cannot even work for a week without getting depressed or demotivated. The incentive package matters too, this is because you cannot expect me to deliver quality and be paid peanuts, no matter how inclined I might be on the job, the salary can either stimulate me positively or negatively.

There are certain factors I also consider whenever I take up a job offer. No matter the attractive incentive package, I need to check the location and if this location is not favorable, I will ask for an accommodation. In cases where there is no accommodation, I might have to retrace my steps if I realize I might end up spending more than I should. These days, the incentive packages are demeaning and employers would leverage it on the poor economic situation and it makes me wonder how we are meant to survive since the economy is poor, yet we are being paid peanuts. Employment these days is hard to come by and such, most individuals would not even better checking critically how the job offer would affect them negatively. To crown it all, the job security is also very paramount in the decision I take.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Their are important factors an employee needs to look into before accepting a job from an employer or in a respective business or company sector. The factors are as follows:

• The environment must be favourable to improve working experience.
  • The salary should be reasonable to accommodate at least the primary needs of the employee. I can't work in a business set or working department, when my basic salary can't be enough to cover my primary needs of life, what's the benefits of working there when I can't eat a good meal, live comfortably in an apartment, wear good clothes etc.

* The employee should be honest, and respectful too. Not the employees alone should be respectful to their boss, the boss should show some act of respect too, to the people who are working for him in order to make them work at ease and not feeling the pressure at work.

Pay salary as at when due: when salary is denied too much, I will feel so infuriated working in that company or an employer, salary should be paid faster immediately when the pay day is reached, delaying it can make my trust go down for the company.