Having an occupation during retirement

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was younger what I have heard from my retired uncles is the boredom when you have no more occupation to speak of. One uncle became a drinker (fortunately not a drunkard) and also a smoker just to while away his time. Another uncle learned gambling and he was losing money in betting in cockfighting and horse racing. Those memories are still vivid in my mind.

When I myself got retired I was ready with my occupation. Yeah, no more job but I need to have an occupation to make my time productive. I can write songs, I can write story books and I can also start up a home-based business of cooking food or making soap. In other words, there are many skills that I have and can also learn new skills. But now most of my time are spent in the internet to earn some coins. It is not for the money but for the fun of forums that I can share what I know and I can learn from the posts of other members.

Ozigba Richard Lamai

It is a great idea to have an occupation after retirement this include business which you can be able to manage after you have retired from work. Occupation does not really mean your skill it also means the kind of business we should run in order for you to get your daily earnings. Anything a man do all doors to put food in his table is his occupation and he must take it seriously in order for him to survive in life.

Mellorando

Banned
An idle mind is a devil's workshop so even though after retiring from work it is advisable to also have a little means of earning a living rather than being idle all day but if you have a lot of money in reserve then I personally think there's no need of working after retirement from work

Queentener

I get your point of boredom, because working for years and all of a sudden you have nothing to do again can be frustrating because your body and system has mastered working. But it's better to start the business or have a plan b early so that you don't get more frustrated, because starting a new business after retirement might not be funny and you might find it strange because you are not use to such life but if you start early it won't be strange.

Samuel72

Verified member
It is good and also a great idea to have occupation after retirement, I don't think it's advisable for anyone to stay idol because staying idol might make you fall into things you're not supposed to do due to bad friends and loneliness. But after retirement if you have good families they can keep you company and happy.

Briangsam

You can get Social Security retirement or survivors benefits and work at the same time. But, if you're younger than full retirement age, and earn more than certain amounts, your benefits will be reduced. Your benefit will increase at your full retirement age to account for benefits withheld due to earlier earnings.