How do you manage customers with unrealistic expectations?

Etini

Valued Contributor
As business people, we sometimes get to meet customers that have unrealistic expectations of us and our businesses. The unrealistic expectations might be in terms of it pricing for your services or it could be with service completion time. These kinds of customers would guilt trip you if you fail to meet their unrealistic expectations.

For me, when I sense that a customer is expecting too much from me to the point of pressuring me, I drop the order rather than pressurize myself and still fail to deliver.

How do you handle customers who have unrealistic expectations from your business?

saoussen5765

Valued Contributor
Managing customers with unrealistic expectations is quite difficult but from the day you set your feet on entrepreneurship, you should have made a commitment that you would put up with all manners of people. Good entrepreneurs would manage a customer to the point that the unrealistic customer would start becoming realistic.

When a customer behaves unrealistic, open communication is the way to go. That's why you should learn as an entrepreneur to be able to communicate in every situation. It is your ability to communicate that would dispel the unrealistic expectations from the customer and redirect their expectations about your business to sane levels.

raaman

Valued Contributor
As business owners, we occasionally meet consumers who have unreasonable expectations of us and our businesses. Unrealistic expectations may be related to the pricing of your goods or services or the delivery time. These consumers will shame you if you fail to achieve their unrealistic expectations. When I sense that a customer is expecting too much from my business, to the point of stressing me, I cancel the order rather than put pressure on myself and still fail to fulfill.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well, customers are humans and they sometimes come with unrealistic expectations of business owners . The thing is that humans are always having different unrealistic expectations in different areas of life so this is no exceptions.

Yes with business expectations varies and they can be impatient so they can even go ahead to guilt trip as you have stated if a business fail to meet their unrealistic expectations. The best bet is to try to help but don't pressurize youself but just help.