How do you tell your boss that the workload is too much?

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
It use to be very difficult for some body like workers that always panic or that are scared of losing its job to tell his/her boss that the work load is too much so that he/she will not be sacked. It is very important if one could open up and say it out especially where the work is very sensitive than to continued to endure and made a great mistakes.

Good luck

Verified member
You simply call attention of your boss that you are doing beyond what is required of you.If you are having any issues with your workload and you are not complaining.you may not be useful to yourself or probably bring out the best from such work or services. The best solution is to come out straight so that your boss can reduce your work load.

MOSIUR

According to the agreement, you can continue the work. In this case of overwork, you can inform your boss, 'Sir, I cannot work too much here as it starts telling upon my health. Whenever I joined here, I was instructed like one way. Now you are making me work another way. So, let me work according to my job condition.'

Jonaville

I found your question rather hilarious. I mean is there any other way to tell your boss that the workload is too much apart from using your mouth? You see, when it comes to your boss, communication is the key. If you feel the work is too much, you need to tell him.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Just like the last commentator befors me said, we need to make our facts right before presenting the case and make sure to have alternative which will be quitting in case the boss is not considering reducing the workload. I am not even in suppert of extra pay because I don't believe in too much workload for any reason.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
You need to summon the courage and schedule a meeting with him. you have to get your facts right so that you will be able to convince him to increase your salary. when you are about to do this you must be ready to call it a quit in case the thing don't go your way. This will give you power over everything else.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
These days when there is a workload, I can simply refuse to my clients. I can afford to do this because I am self-employed. However, when I had a job I did not have the leverage to reject the job and I had to continue with the workload. We did not have to complain because whenever we were given extra work, we also received extra payment.
In my country, you may not get extra money for extra work. And if you don't complain, they don't mind give you a job meant for 10 people for the same payment. That's the reasons the opinionss of people on this topic differ based on the situations in their countries. Just like yours as well differ.

Mika

VIP Contributor
These days when there is a workload, I can simply refuse to my clients. I can afford to do this because I am self-employed. However, when I had a job I did not have the leverage to reject the job and I had to continue with the workload. We did not have to complain because whenever we were given extra work, we also received extra payment.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
If the boss is asking to you do a lot of work and if the workload is too much to handle, I will just deny the task and say it in his face that the work is too much for me to handle. If the boss does not like my openness, I will just resign from the job. Well, this has happened to me

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I am a blunt worker. Under in no circumstance have endure what I cannot condone in my work place. While some management like me for this, others hate me.

I have found myself being bedeviled with much responsibilities even beyond my scope. That's common in a capitalist. They overworked the workers without even increment or any incentives most of the time.

I always work to the Human Resource department telling him the reasons why I may not add other job to the ones I am currently saddled with. Of course, I always prepare extensively to thrash all their points by looking for cogent reasons to back up while I won't tolerate being used.

How do workers tell his boss that the work load is too much without affecting his relationship with the boss?
I know I had this issue with one of the schools I worked with in the past. I just needed the school to know the workload was really high for me, so I had a discussion with the school owner. He understood an employed a new teacher. So the best bet is to communicate with the authority

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
As far as I think, the boss should himself or herself know how much work he or she is giving to his or her employees. I do not think that a boss who never actually thinks about this deserves to be an employer. A good boss is a good person, too. Considering the amount he or she is paying, he or she should provide work accordingly. In the end if you feel that you are being not paid enough for the amount of work you recieve, you should seek other jobs.

Richee84

I have red so many comments here and I think everyone has a point to make. To me I feel there should be specified task that is well defined to be carry out by the employee in the terms of contract. If all parties respect and obey the terms of contract in the agreement there wouldn't be any reason for workers to start asking for that and the employer will know definitely when to increase the salary if he has added more task for the employee.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I am a blunt worker. Under in no circumstance have endure what I cannot condone in my work place. While some management like me for this, others hate me.

I have found myself being bedeviled with much responsibilities even beyond my scope. That's common in a capitalist. They overworked the workers without even increment or any incentives most of the time.

I always work to the Human Resource department telling him the reasons why I may not add other job to the ones I am currently saddled with. Of course, I always prepare extensively to thrash all their points by looking for cogent reasons to back up while I won't tolerate being used.

How do workers tell his boss that the work load is too much without affecting his relationship with the boss?

Richee84

This is a very good topic to discuss, I think from my perspective there should be specify line of duty to be perform by an employee and this should be very clear in the contract of agreement before taking up the job and both parties should respect the agreement.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
I don't think it's possible for a worker to complain that the workload is too much, in my country. The boss will even threaten you to leave as soon as possible, as there are other people looking for a job. Some bosses don't care what you are feeling, they just want to use you like a slave and while their stomach keeps getting fatter.

I live in a country where there is high rate of unemployment....So no one cares. As you are looking for a job here, you are also praying for a good boss. Because you might be workload and not even being paid on time. We live in a cruel world! I can feel your pain.....!

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Explaining such kind of things to your boss can be tricky, especially if your boss remains always angry. If I were to get into such kind of situation then I would provide my boss hints and try to make him understand through indirect ways that the workload is just too much.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was a computer programmer we always receive a project with an allocated days whether it is a new program or for revision or correction. There is no problem with the overload because the supervisor would know since he does the estimated duration of the job. That is one advantage in a programming job.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I love your conclusion. When I am working for an employer, I am not after the money first, I always want my impacts known. Then I can now be acting like the boss. Because I know by then, he can not do without me and my absence may mean a lot of thing. Make yourself the best in your field because there is not always an alternative to the best candidate.
That is what is called the value and many people who did not know that creating value is the best. whenever you have l u you don't need to chase money around but I rather money will be the one chasing you. When you have value business and companies cannot do without you and whatever you demand will be met because you are valuable to their business.

D

Deleted member 28127

In the type of sector when I work(teaching) it is very impossible to complain of such thing. Infact, your boss will not have to ask you to do it, you will just find yourself doing that doing more than you bargain for. In this type of Work sector, you can not tell your boss that the work load is too much, whether you are good at what you do or not, there will always be a replacement for you at any time.
Teaching if for example teacher is affected by Covid 19 he / she may study students online so make courses from home if she is pregnant she may complete some courses online and then there will be a replacer of her during pregnancy, if the teacher has accident on his hand then the teacher may ask a student to write instead of him/her during the work hours, if the teacher will got married during weeding days there will be a tompary replacer.

funmi

Verified member
In the type of sector when I work(teaching) it is very impossible to complain of such thing. Infact, your boss will not have to ask you to do it, you will just find yourself doing that doing more than you bargain for. In this type of Work sector, you can not tell your boss that the work load is too much, whether you are good at what you do or not, there will always be a replacement for you at any time.