How loan apps are tarnishing defaulters' image in Nigeria.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
In Nigeria, there are some loan applications on Google play store that offer to give out loans to interested persons with the hope that they repay after a short while. It is observed that most of these applications charge a very high interest rate and they do not require any collateral before you are eligible to apply for the loan.

Even though the process of getting the loan is very easy, the consequences are usually not easy to bear. Before you are allowed to take the loans, some of these apps would require access to your phone contact list. Whenever you refuse to repay or you delay in paying back the money, they begin sending messages to your contacts telling them that you are a scammer who has run away with their company money.

In these text messages they send, they reveal your full name and sometimes they say defaming things about your family as a whole.

What do you think about this? Can someone sue them for tarnishing his image?

Solution
A borrower from an online app or site should understand that they cannot scam the lender. When they do not pay back the loan then they will smear you like what you said. How can you sue the lender when you do not even know the business address? That is a lesson to avoid getting online loans.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
To be frank, government needs to do something on this menace. I have a friend that borrowed money from this particular application and he defaulted because his mum fell sick during the time he was to repay the loan. The application just tarnished his name all over his contact. And when he later repaid the loan, they couldn't do anything to correct what they have done wrong.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
People should stay away from applications that offer loans. I know someone whose image was almost tarnished by this unscrupulous loan vendors. I remember when I went broke, i almost took loan from one of them but someone discouraged from doing so and I'm still thankful to him till today.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
People should stay away from applications that offer loans. I know someone whose image was almost tarnished by this unscrupulous loan vendors. I remember when I went broke, i almost took loan from one of them but someone discouraged from doing so and I'm still thankful to him till today.
Seriously I do not understand why people use these apps. Some already have the intention of not paying back and they appear not to care about the consequences, but will start complaining when their image is being tarnished. Avoiding these sites or applications is the best.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
A borrower from an online app or site should understand that they cannot scam the lender. When they do not pay back the loan then they will smear you like what you said. How can you sue the lender when you do not even know the business address? That is a lesson to avoid getting online loans.

Solution

Abigael

Valued Contributor
That also happens in my country Kenya, and it is really bad to tarnish people's names like that. They should find another means of giving loans securely such that they get paid back. Others even threaten you if you don't pay back. I think you have a right to sue them at this point, but that will also require you to pay back the money.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I know those loan companies don't try on their own when it comes to demanding for their loan repayment when it is over due or cross the deadline for repayment. But they ought to have charged collateral for that that is valuable as the loan or find other meaningful alternative that is prominent to take back their loan from those they borrowed funds to, than attacking them publicly and tarnishing their image. That's simply wrong, they should do things right, and restrain from such detestable ways.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
They go as far as sending out messages to your contact details telling them that you ran away with company money and that you are a fraudster. I think this is not right as it is a misrepresentation of an individual's image. I think it is possible to sue them since they did not include tarnishing one's image as a result of you refusing to repay the loan.
I am not a fan of loans though.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Though it really appalling for them to do this to their borrowers but I also blame the borrowers too
If you know you wouldn't be able to pay back loan at the stipulated time then don't take out any loan. This is a business if you don't pay back how do you expect the business to strive. So in as much it is bad to defame someone image the right thing need to be done by the borrowers.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Though I can blamed them and at the same time I may not blame them for doing so because before they give somebody they will tell you the rule and if one can not agree with it one should not enter in to it. It happened to one of my friend recently and they started calling my friend parent telling them that hr owns them money. Its very bad any way.