How Much Does a University Student Need to Graduate

uforwealth

Verified member
Early in the morning yesterday, a friend of mine came to me and told me that his younger brother had gained admission into a university here in Nigeria to study Medicine. I congratulated him and wished his younger brother well in his journey to study Medicine.But he asked me one question which I thought about deeply before answering .

The question is "How much does a university student need to graduate?"

I later responded by saying that the amount to be spent for all the sessions in the university depends mainly on the course of study and country as well as the category the university belongs to -It could be private or public university.

If it is a private university in Nigeria and the course of study is Medicine, Such a student should prepare over 5 million Naira.

How much does a University student need to graduate in your country?

Heartstrings

Well one can only guess how much needed because you definitely can't compare what those who passed out before you spent with yours,but you can make an estimation and likewise have an extra money for incase,that's why I always advice students to learn a skill or rather have a source of income that can make you manage any extra bills that comes your way. Infact in Nigeria that strike is taking the students back, delaying students from graduating, you may even end up using the money kept aside for school expenses if the government are extending the strike way too long than expected.

Sometimes I wonder how someone would strive so hard, trying to make ends meet, save up millions of money just for studies and at The end of the day,you end up not getting your desired/deserved job after school,or been jobless for years and end up setting up a business for yourself.

There Is a lady that I know,she is a graduate but what happened? She ends up as a sales girl,why because there is no available job.

saoussen5765

Valued Contributor
Graduate at university is not enough this day if the student isn't serious because what I see is that half of students are absent during courses and goes to play games and then succeed in exams by revising when exams are close. Means seriousness and hardworking is required during all the year not just near to exams session.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
In Nigeria, private universities are very costly and i will say that your estimate of all a student will need to study medicine in a private Nigerian university is too little. 5 million may not even be enough for some other courses not to talk of a course like medicine.

I know of a person who pays 1.2 million naira per session in a private University and the course the person is studying is business management. You can see how exorbitant the tuition fees of private universities is.

When you include other expenses, you will realize it will double the fees that is been paid as tuition in public universities. Public universities are relatively cheaper and it will therefore cost lesser to study in a public university than in a private University.

Taking an approximate value, a person in public university may need about 100 thousand
naira as tuition per session. It is lower depending on the regions and for a private University you may need up to 8 million for a 4 to 5 year course.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Mostly it depends on so many things but most importantly it depends on the location . If the university is in the Urban settlement then we should expect a higher fee than those in the rural settlement.

And also it depends on the location you are schooling . People who are travelling from African countries into the European countries to study what they need might likely spend so much money because of the difference in exchange rates and also the highest standard of living.

Normally , if you are just talking about a normal government University in my country, I will said it depends on what you are studying . People who are studying medicine and surgery are likely to spend money much more than people who are studying mass communication or any other art related courses.

From all indication , I think the cost of you studying any courses in Nigerian university ranges between 1 million to 3 million.

E

eldavis

There are actually different factors to consider here, first and foremost the cost varies, even two persons can be in the same university, in the same department, studying the same course and the cost of living would still be different from each other. The first thing to look out is the cost of living in that country or state, another factor to consider is the standard of the school. Universities with higher standards tends to cost more. The spending habits of the students still matters as well, most students do not know how to manage, they tend to spend on things they have no need for.

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
The amount a university student needs to graduate varies based on tuition rates, living expenses, financial aid package, and state residency status. An in-state student attending a public university can expect to spend $80,000-$100,000 for a 4-year degree including tuition, fees, room and board, books, transportation and other costs. For out-of-state students at public schools, costs rise to $150,000-$200,000. Private universities range from $200,000-$300,000 for total costs over four years. Students can offset these totals through scholarships, grants, work-study and other cost-saving strategies.

King bell

VIP Contributor
A university student’s duration of study can vary due to a number of reasons. Generally, most undergraduate programs mandate that students complete a certain number of credit hours that normally take around four years’ worth of full-time study. However, there are those who take more time if they prefer part-time participation or a double major, minor, or additional certificate. Further, the duration until graduation depends on the student’s performance in school and transfer credits from his/her previous studies. Thus students must get to academic advisors to enable them make plans that will see them finish their course requirements in good time and meet their goals.