How to be competitive in your workplace

Augusta

VIP Contributor
It has come to a time that employers are no longer looking for people with good paper qualifications to get promoted in the workplace. They have moved from who has the higher grades to who does the work better. So workers also know this and are putting their right foot forward by becoming skillful so that they get noticed for an upgrading in the office or workplace.

So the right word here is that one should be competitive as a worker to get the position promotion which comes with other benefits. So how can you be competitive so that you also enjoy your workplace promotion when you are supposed to enjoy.

Start by adding more skills to your job: Try to avoid being redundant with just doing what you are given to do. Go the extra miles of putting in more work so that you finish it up excellently.

Take up more responsibilities: Don't just limit your self to only jobs you are assigned. Take up other responsibilities as there arises. This is to show you are responsive and can handle other areas of the jobs effectively.

Make efforts to excel in your present position. You would be able to request for higher position and be granted if you are already doing well in your current office.

What's your thoughts?

Mika

VIP Contributor
The best way to excel in your job is to impress your boss. How can you impress your boss? By buttering him, spying on other staff for him, doing his personal chores (taking his kids to the football match for instance), etc. Am I joking? Well, not. If you have ever worked in a company, you will understand the only way to excel in your workplace is by doing things that please your boss. I will share my personal experience. I along with the other 5 staff were laid off during the covid lockdowns. A couple of months later, everyone was called to remote working, except me. These guys did everything to please the boss, even if it means to blow balloons for the boss's kid's birthday party.
On a serious note, in order to perform better in your workplace, you need to be very skilled, having additional skills will always help you. For example, if you are a copywriter, having graphic designing skills will help you become more competitive as copywriting and graphic designing are closely linked. You also need to work hard, deliver on time, and deliver the best work. You should never get involved with workplace scandals.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well different strokes for different folks. I'm one person that don't just like this pleasing of my boss that depicts eye service as i see it as a very childish act. Why don't you just do your work to the best of your abilities and call it a day. I don't know I feel very irritated when I see people behaves that way I feel like beating sense into them, well it could just be for me but even if I become a boss tomorrow I don't want anyone to overly do anything for me because I'm the Boss, no I don't need such eye service.

if you want to be competitive then you need to show working by working both smart and hard. Just be effective and efficient in doing your duties and when you submit your work effortlessly you would be noticed and the respect you deserved will be accorded you

Another way of doing this is by showing sterling qualities that others can't exude. You have leadership skills, you teach others how to be effective and you master the craft that you can lead others to success. These qualities are endearing and you can make the best of it when you have to do it.