How to Buy a Perfect Domain Name

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
The end part of the domain name is called Top Level Domain. In other words, the domain extensions are TLD. The middle name of the domain, right before domain extension, is the second level domain. For example, in a domain name yoursite.com, yoursite is the second level domain and dot com is the Top Level Domain

When you are buying a domain, you should focus more on the second level domain instead of top level domain because domain extension does not determine the quality of the domain.

A lot of people want to get a dot com, however, you do not have to focus on a dot com. You can use any extension you want, what ultimately matters is the keyword you use in your second level domain. Search engine do not recognize top level domain but they do value the second level domain.

D

Deleted member 28127

I enter to yoursite.com it is a website builder. For the part having .com domain can be replaced by .co domain name because the difference is just an m and may your domain name is reserved by .com but still available using .fr or .us or you may to change little the name that doesn't much exactly site name to find .com free and available domain to book.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I have two dot coms and one org. I bought dot com not because I thought dot com has more value, I bought dot com because it is more recognizable and trusted by online visitors. My focus is on getting a perfect second level domain because of I can get a high traffic domain name, that would be perfect

kayode10

VIP Contributor
It is a very good to buy a brandable domain name for your website especially when you are building niche sites. The brandable domain name you are going to choose must be easy to remember and catch it at the same time. You should try as much as possible to stay away from exact match domain name. An ideal domain doesn't contain more than 8 characters.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Brand can be created. Google could be non nonsensical world if this was not branded. You can build your brand with any domain name. What you need to consider is buying a domain name that has commercial value. Your domain name will have commercial value when it uses high traffic keywords.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Semrush is a brand, Moz is a brand. However, if these names were not attached to these SEO companies, these words would have no meaning. Brand can be built, and any name can be built into a brand. Therefore, I also believe that you need a domain that has high traffic keywords in the name

Setho

VIP Contributor
Domain name is not something that you should rush into choosing especially if you do not have plans of buying an existing domain. You should try as much as possible to buy popular domain extensions as they are the ones that people trust more especially if it has to do with business.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
If you want to buy a domain, there are a few things you want to put in check first.

The first, and most important, is what you need the domain for. Is it for personal website? A business site? Are you going to be selling a product through the site? Or are you just looking to have fun with a new hobby and make some new friends from around the world (who share your love of whatever)?

If you're doing this for business, then you can't go wrong with .com. It's the most popular and recognizable domain extension, and it lends legitimacy to your business. If you're going for something more personal, like a blog or just basically anything else, then there are tons of extensions that fit the bill: .net, .info, .org, .life (new!), etc., etc.

Once you've chosen an extension that fits your purpose, it's time to name your site! You'll want to choose something that describes your site accurately but is also genuinely memorable. It's tempting to get too literal or too creative here—avoid both pitfalls by asking yourself if other people will understand or remember what your domain is called in three seconds or less. If they don't get it right away, you should try using something else.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you want to get a domain name for yourself, you have three options, one you look for a domain in the domain marketplace and get the one that looks most appropriate. However, the domains you find on the domain marketplace are expensive. The price of the domain depends on the extension, name, and age. If the domain listed on the domain marketplace is an old and short domain, you might have to spend a lot of money. The second option is to look for expired domains and buy the same domain from the domain registrar. Buying expired domains help in getting ranked on search engines because old domains are trusted more, However, there is also a risk in buying expired domains because you don't know what these domains were actually used for. The third option is to register the domain name of your choice with a domain registrar. While registering a domain, you will have to take care of a lot of things like the top level domain aka domain extension, second level domain aka the domain name. As fat as the top level domains are concerned you need to choose an extension that is trusted and does not have high renewal fees.