Real estate How to handle a bad tenant

Immilash

How do you handle a bad tenant? I not into a real estate business but I believe sometimes it happens, tenants might have misunderstanding between a tenant an his landlord this will cause a great dislike between the both of them. In your own opinion what did you think causes this misunderstanding between the two of them. While running a real estate business we often face some challenges and it hurts us a lot sometimes. I was told of a story of a wicked landlord, this landlord is very wicked he collect his house rent after every two weeks emagine paying a house rent after every two weeks, for me I don't think if can stay in such situations but domu we have no option but to cope with the situation, if I'm opportuned to have enough I might consider starting a real estate business in my nearest future. What way do you think is the best to handle a bad tenant. Some tenant ate very heartless they will not pay you after making lots of promise what way do you think is the best way to handle such tenants? I will await to see your response on this. Thank you.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Most of the mistake landlords are making with tenant is that they will allow them in without getting their money , to me this is one of the Major things that leads to problem in most cases because most of the atlas tenants you are saying around me feel so reluctant to pay after after making promise, but in a situation that they refuse to pay I believe the best thing you have to do is to arrest them, after all agreement has been made and even if it takes you to the law court you will still have a higher chance of winning.. and also there are some certain people you shouldn't allowed into your compound
you have to do your own diligent research

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Handling a bad tenant could be challenging. This is why I always say to properly investigate about the person before giving them your property. We also had many bad experiences with tenants. Once we gave our house to tenant who was a government officer and he stole electricity. There are many such cases where the tenant took advantage of landlord's absence. Not paying the bills on time and not paying other expenses is one of the main problems many landlords face. When a tenant does not pay the bills, the bills get adding up and the landlord has no option but to ask the tenant to leave the property.

E

eldavis

Instead of looking for the cure, won't it be better if you can actually prevent it? I think the best to do would be to set a standard for yourself, there should be rules and regulations attached to the House, if they are not ready or able to abide by these rules and regulations, that means they can't stay in your house. In cases where they are already in the house, i think it would be best you take legal actions if they are not willing to move out when asked to.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
I believe some times issue use to occur between the tenants and the landlord. But I know that before landlord or the owner of the house give out their house out there mist be an agreement between the two party.
So therefore when there is agreement then there would not be any problem in dealing with any tenant that did not cooperate to pay the house fee.
And some times there are some tenant that are too bad. In the sense that they will be doing what is bad intentionally to the owner of the house which is very bad.

If the tenant did not cooperate then one can take such to court.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
We have been a tenant for many years and I saw the bad tenants in the apartment where we stayed. They couldn't pay the rent regularly and sometimes they have an arrears of 2 or 3 months. Worse, they have kids that ruin the walls of their home. It is a good thing that the owner is their friend so they are not evicted. For me, a bad tenant is a liability so as much as possible you have to find a way to evict them. In our country not paying the rent for 2 months is a ground for eviction and I'd say pursue that line if they commit that mistake. The bad tenant is the bane of the rental system but I guess you cannot choose the tenant unless they have stayed in your apartment for months.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Their is no doubt, a landlord will experience time with a bad or good tenants. Ability to control the tenants reduces the rate of their bad attitude since they simply have to corporate according to the tenant's agreement. It is always advised for a landlord to make such kind of agreement to combat any lingering whenever an issue emerges between tenants. An attorney should be hand over to address issues of tenants payment, and activities when ever they go wrong. If you do all alone, you might not control the evil spirits of some tenants. The best is have an attorney or a caretaker who address the issues around tenants, and make an agreement with them and state the laws in which each tenant such abide by, to avoid being penalized. Such will put some discipline around them, and make them stay off from facing the penalty. Because, they know if they are victimized, it means paying in excess coupled with their house rent. Because it attracts fine charges, which might cost even more than one month rent fee. With such, the tenant will avoid falling prey of trouble while living in the landlord's authority, to stay off from penalty.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
The issue of bad tenants is so rampant now that landlords should take precaution while giving out the apartment to rent out. I think the first step is to hand over your property to a solicitor so that anyone renting it will know that he or she is dealing with the law

I wouldn't like the idea whereby someone is trying to take advantage of my property which he or she don't know how it all came about so it is better the whole process be started in a legal way. All agreements, information, all details that pertains to the renting should be legally documented and the tenants informed of the consequences of not making payments as when due.

in fact I think the landlord should always make a reminder to the tenant at least two months before the expiration that money for the rent should be remitted at the due time or else the tenant should vacant the said apartments.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
When you have a bad tenant, it’s important to know how to handle the situation. If you don’t, your rental property could get labeled as a “problem unit” and the landlord may be forced to take legal action.

The first thing you should do is contact your local law enforcement department and let them know about the issue. This will help them determine if there is a crime involved and if so, who might be responsible for it.

The next step is to contact your insurance company and file an insurance claim for any damage that may have occurred due to the bad tenant. Make sure that you keep all receipts and records of what was done and when so that you can prove that this person caused damage to your property. If you can prove this, then it will make it easier for your insurance company to reimburse you for any costs associated with fixing up the damage caused by their negligence or lack of care.

You should also notify your building inspector about what happened so that he or she can conduct an inspection on the property when it comes time for renewal of permits or licenses which may need to be renewed soon after this incident occurs (such as a building permit). Your inspector will then write up an inspection report with his findings. All these listed can be done when the tenant appears not reasonable.