How to Negotiate a Salary at a New Job

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Starting a new job is exciting, but it can also be stressful. You may not know what to expect from your new colleagues, and you might wonder if you are being paid fairly for the work you are doing. Here are some tips for negotiating a salary at a new job:

-Determine what you want before the interview. Are you looking for more money? A flexible schedule? An opportunity to travel? This will help you remain focused on your demands during the negotiation process.

-Do some research ahead of time. Find out how much other people in comparable positions make in your area. Get an idea of where the industry standard salaries fall, so that you can be aware when you are offered less than they are.

-Know your worth! If you have done your research and know what others in similar roles make, don't settle for less than that salary. The company will expect you to negotiate and will likely offer more than their initial offer because they already know what they need to pay to get someone like you to join their team.

-Remember that negotiation is about compromise. If your company won't budge on salary, think about whether there are other ways to achieve what you want. Perhaps flexible hours or remote work would be preferable options for you.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
It is important to note that before you could negotiate the salary in a company you must have been employed. Salary negotiations will come after employment and a lot of things that must be taken into consideration before negotiation on remuneration take place. Majorly it is very important to take into cognisance the positions of the job that you are applying for and also the obligations that you are expected to carry out in the company. All of these are what you will put into consideration before negotiating for your salary. For instance the level of work that you will receive a payment of $1000 for must be more than the level of work that you will receive a payment of $500 for, that is exactly how it works. You will need to take into cognizance be level or the gravity of work that you will be expected to do and the company first. Aside this the job position also determines the level of your salary. You cannot expect lower cadre employee to collect a salary the salary that is more than a manager. Also your qualification also play a major role in your salary negotiation in this regard. .

Holicent

VIP Contributor
When you're interviewing for a new job, it's important to know how to negotiate a salary. Asking for more money can be a bit intimidating, but it's also one of the most important ways to ensure that you're making enough money to support yourself and your family. If you know your worth, you will find it at ease to make such demands. Here are some tips for negotiating a salary at a new job:

1. DO your research on industry standards and salaries like you said earlier. Find out what other people with your qualifications earn at similar companies in your area. This will give you the yardstick to a demand not beyond the companies capability and it will reduce to chance of turning you down.

2. DON'T ask for a specific number when you're negotiating, instead, say "I'm looking for between X and Y." This gives you some leeway, and makes it easier for them to say yes if they like the range you've suggested.

Lastly, you should be gentle and bold as well why making this negotiation.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you are a fresher, there is no way you can negotiate your salary. When they say "Beggars cannot be choosers" they actually mean it. However, if you already have some experience, or let's say you are very experienced, you have a lot of things to show in your portfolio, you can easily negotiate your salary and move to higher-paying jobs. For your first job, you might be given an opportunity to have your say on the expected salary. However, they will not give you what you have asked for, your salary will be the same amount that they have decided while recruiting staff. Even when you have asked for less than the amount they are offering (in order to increase your chances of hiring), you will be offered the same salary according to the company standard. For an experienced individual, salary is always negotiable, and the higher your experience, the better will be your salary. I am saying this from my own experience. For my first job, my expected salary was less than what the company was offering, however, I was paid according to the company standard. I my second job, my asking salary was higher thn what they were offering, but we negotiated and choose the middle path.