Important Things to Consider Before Following Back on Social Media.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Things to Consider Before Following Back on Social Media

This is a great question! I've received so many messages asking basically this same thing, and I always have the same answer: it depends. For Twitter, it's generally considered polite to follow back. The people who follow you will probably see if you don't, and it can make them feel left out or unacknowledged. But before you click that button, let me tell you what to look for:

- Does this person only have one tweet? If so, they're probably a bot. Don't follow them back.

- Is this person an obvious spammer? If their bio is just website links and no actual bio, they're probably not worth your time.

- Are they human? This may seem like a silly question, but some accounts are actually run by robots. Automated accounts won't engage with you, so there's no point in following them back.

- Was their last tweet five years ago? If so, they might be inactive. You don't need to keep up with inactive accounts—they won't be keeping up with you!

- Do they post things that are also important to you? If not, do you want to read their tweets anyway? If not, don't feel obligated to follow.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
There are a lot of cat fishes nowadays, what that means is people that impersonate other personalities on social media for the purpose of scamming, trolling or shaming the other party.

I still remembered when I used to be a very active social media user, I used to have people following me frequently and what I first do is, check their profile and see, most of them are just looking for a follow for follow and even if you follow them back there won't be any organic interaction between you two, since they just followed you because of their own selfish gains.

I don't usually follow these type of people back, the only people I follow back are those that aligns with I do or those that I know personally but anything out of this I don't deal and I'll actually reject.

But it's understandable for those that are into business of selling accounts to just follow everyone because they're looking for followers and they don't really care about organic interaction.

On Social media, there are different sort of personalities so it's advisable to know who you're following or adding back as. A friend or a follower In the case of Instagram and others