Is Dogecoin a Joke Coin, or a Real Cryptocurrency?

Mika

VIP Contributor
Based on the popularity with the investors and market cap, some of the top cryptocurrencies are Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Bitchoin Cash, Cardano, Monero, Stellar, Dogecoin etc.

Bitcoin was launched in 2009, Litecoin was launched in 2011, Ethereum was launched in 2015, Ripple was launched in 2012. Bitcoin Cash was launched in 2017, Cardano was launched in 2015, Monero was launched in 2014, Stellar was launched in 2014, and Dogecoin was launched in 2013.

If you compare the price of per coin, despite being the fourth oldest crypto currency, dogecoin has the lowest price. The only currency despite being one of the earliest currencies that is close to dogecoin in terms of price is Stellar. Still, Stellar is higher than Dogecoin. Stellar is 40 cents and doge is 32 cents (at the moment of writing).

Doge was launched after Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ripple, not as a cryptocurrency but as a joke. The currency was a joke until Elon Musk, Snoop Dogg, and Reddit community started promoting dogecoin.

Some people say Doge will never go high like other popular crypto currencies because of its unlimited supply. Every year more than 5 billion dogecoins are released on the doge network and people argue that when there is so many coins in the network, how could it gain value?

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Dogecoin is a real cryptocurrency. There has been no recent increase in the value of dogecoin lately around a lot of money has been made from the cryptocurrency. The coin generally is a meme that is the reason why a lot of people are not holding it for a long. They're afraid that it's value may fall significantly because it has no use case.

Ahmedo24

Verified member
Probably when it was created it was created out of fun so lots of people regarded the coin is Meme coin but currently with the level of seriousness
Elon Musk as put into the coin and the tremendous increase it has had one can say that the coin is no longer joke coin but a serious cryptocurrency coin like any other coin. Invest in the coin if you have the opportunity .

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
To be frank, I cannot comprehend the types of crypto. There are the so called shitcoins, trash and some other demeaning names. It looks like only a few coins like Bitcoin and Eth are reliable so far. Lack of knowledge about the crypto coins is my handicap that is why I cannot have the urge to invest.

Ahmedo24

Verified member
To be frank, I cannot comprehend the types of crypto. There are the so called shitcoins, trash and some other demeaning names. It looks like only a few coins like Bitcoin and Eth are reliable so far. Lack of knowledge about the crypto coins is my handicap that is why I cannot have the urge to invest.
There are other few coins that are also reliable because they already have their blockchain and their total supply is not as high as most of the shit coins we see arround, the likes of polkadot, safepal, Tron, Cardano, Matic or polygon , 1 UP and few others are worth Investing on. Shit coins are easy to make money with likewise easy to loose money.

Josemendez

Verified member
Dogecoin was created as a meme coin and has always been referred as one . Over the years , dogecoin has not had any significant rise in price until Elon Musk steps in. His tweets and support for the coin made the coin to draw the attention of many investors and top exchanges. But does this make it a good coin ? , I don't think so. Any coin that cannot rise on it's own without being promoted is not a good coin.

Ahmedo24

Verified member
Dogecoin was created as a meme coin and has always been referred as one . Over the years , dogecoin has not had any significant rise in price until Elon Musk steps in. His tweets and support for the coin made the coin to draw the attention of many investors and top exchanges. But does this make it a good coin ? , I don't think so. Any coin that cannot rise on it's own without being promoted is not a good coin.
You have a strong point because I know we have been in the Crypto currency ecosystem for a while and doge coin has not really been a very serious coin as in those days you could claim 100 doge in a day from faucets. Elon Musk need to make this car doge coin system to grow with the system instead of hyping the coin. Lots of hyping has made some people refer cryptocurrency as in serious investment..

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Elon musk have already integrated dogecoin as payment option for his Tesla motors. And that's a good thing considering that their are lots of Cryptocurrency enthusiasts who will love to purchase the var using their hefty amount of their DOGE to buy a car from Elon musk Tesla garage. Delisting BTC as a second payment option for his Tesla cars was a devastating one. Dogecoin is a meme coin and not for joke is moving higher.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Dogecoin is a real cryptocurrency. There has been no recent increase in the value of dogecoin lately around a lot of money has been made from the cryptocurrency. The coin generally is a meme that is the reason why a lot of people are not holding it for a long. They're afraid that it's value may fall significantly because it has no use case.
Typically, the coin was made as a joke. That's why it's a meme coin. I don't really think it's worth to be taking seriously, if not for Elon Musk hyping few months ago, this made the coin to gain some price worth and also be seen as a serious crypto. But now that a lot of investors lost so much few months ago investing in the coin, many have lost hope on the coin.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Since the coin was created as a light coin in 3 hours people started believing that dogecoin is a joke coin. However, it is not a joke. It is like any other coin. However, whether the coin has potential or not depends on number of factors like institutional investment, people's acceptance etc.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Based on my observation ,the coin was created to be in form of meme coin ,but Elon musk promotion made people start taking the coin more serious and also consider it for investment more than ever to make more gains for themselves in the trading on the market I think

dagm

Many people thought the coin was a joke when it was first created, so many people thought it was a meme coin. However, with the level of seriousness Elon Musk has put into the coin and the tremendous increase it has seen, one can say that the coin is no longer a joke coin, but a serious cryptocurrency coin like any other. If you have the chance, invest in the coin.

Ahmedo24

Verified member
It was actually a joke coin from the onset and that is why you'll discover that the value was not rising significantly but when Elon Musk decided to promote the coin heavily it became a very serious coin in the market such that many companies are already adopting in that means of making payments.

minenovo

I think the jury on that is still out and it will be out for quite a while longer. Doge certainly started as a joke, but then its popularity grew a lot, in a way that certainly was not a joke. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it develops in the long term to decide.