Jobs that You Can Still Do in Your Retirement Years

Caramelle

Most countries impose a mandatory age for retirement. We all need to prepare ourselves for the time when our earnings will be considerably less than what we are currently receiving. Many will still need to rely on cash inflows from available jobs or businesses because pensions are never enough. Thankfully, technology allows us to work past our prime years as long as we have the skills and credentials along with a healthy body.

Here are some jobs that you may want to consider in your retirement age:
  • Consultancy jobs: If you have skills that you have mastered in your previous jobs, you can make a living providing consultancy services to different companies. Your experience is a big plus factor in building a clientele.
  • Teaching jobs: Colleges and universities often have openings for professionals who have proven industry experience. While most college teaching positions require a master's or doctorate degree, many educational institutions have openings for practical courses that require actual experiences at work.
  • Non-voice business process outsourcing jobs: Not all call center jobs require talking. Many jobs involve non-voice tasks such as sorting or answering emails or providing support by chatting with users.
  • Micro jobs such as answering surveys or providing feedback for apps usage.
Take note that many of these jobs require familiarity with technology and some software. We all need to reinvent ourselves or constantly learn something new in order to keep up with the fast-changing world.

Wiserr

Most countries impose a mandatory age for retirement. We all need to prepare ourselves for the time when our earnings will be considerably less than what we are currently receiving. Many will still need to rely on cash inflows from available jobs or businesses because pensions are never enough. Thankfully, technology allows us to work past our prime years as long as we have the skills and credentials along with a healthy body.

• Consultancy jobs: If you have skills that you have mastered in your previous jobs, you can make a living providing consultancy services to different companies. Your experience is a big plus factor in building a clientele.
  • Teaching jobs: Colleges and universities often have openings for professionals who have proven industry experience. While most college teaching positions require a master's or doctorate degree, many educational institutions have openings for practical courses that require actual experiences at work.
  • Non-voice business process outsourcing jobs: Not all call center jobs require talking. Many jobs involve non-voice tasks such as sorting or answering emails or providing support by chatting with users.
Take note that many of these jobs require familiarity with technology and some software. We all need to reinvent ourselves or constantly learn something new in order to keep up with the fast-changing world.
This is a good idea and I believe with the knowledge of this one can be able to earn money 💰 that can sustain him if he engage in any of this upon retirements but I believe one can be able to engage in real estate business or he can invest in the real estate, also affiliate markettijg is also a good way of earning a lot of money 💰 within few time.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I may not really support teaching job except if it's done online. Teaching job is somehow stressful and doesn't need old hands if truly it is to be effective. There are times you need to repeat yourself for the sake of those that weren't listening while you were busy explaining in the first instance. Many a time, you find yourself straining your eyes to read what students write because of his illegible handwriting.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I may not really support teaching job except if it's done online. Teaching job is somehow stressful and doesn't need old hands if truly it is to be effective. There are times you need to repeat yourself for the sake of those that weren't listening while you were busy explaining in the first instance. Many a time, you find yourself straining your eyes to read what students write because of his illegible handwriting. Retirement jobs should be stress free

D

Deleted member 28127

Even if it is online the hours you stay in front of a PC must be determined because staying for long hours also has a bad impact on seeing and health of eyes that must not exceed 5 hours per day as maximum teaching hours online, not 10 hours per day it is much-increased rate.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Most of the retirees with a job in our town are into call center. They say that handling calls is the easiest for old people since you have a knowledge in a certain field as per your work experience. Talking with a caller is not really difficult although you need a lot of patience because sometimes a caller can be insulting you. However, based on my personal and informal survey of call center agents, the stress in the job is so great that they suffer psychosomatic illness - sickness brought by stress like migraine and acidic stomach. Some of those who quit call center work said that they will never come back to the call center.

To be frank, I have plans of working in a call center as an agent. I agree that it is easy to earn and easier to handle the job because I have expertise in the technology particularly computers. However, I am afraid that insults can get to my nerves and I might just be suspended if I would retaliate to the insults of the caller.

Good luck

Verified member
One can engage in a lot of work after retirement as long as the person is physically stable and such person is not facing any health issue in the body.Apart from all the mentioned profession,one can also venture into driving.I t can be within the area the person stays or doing interstate.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor

Hi Caramelle. Hope you are doing well. Happy New Year to you and your family. May this year bring health, prosperity and happiness to all of us.
Thank you very much for your informative post. When I read the title of your post, I immediately clicked on it and opened it because I found the topic very interesting. It is true that most countries around the world impose a mandatory age for retirement. Exactly the same thing happens in my country as well. Unfortunately, pensions are not enough so old people have to work. Of course some old people want to feel useful and active and although there is not any financial problem from there side, they still need to work for psychological reasons. I fully understand them because life does not end in the retirement age. The jobs you mention in your nice article are really very good. Consultancy jobs are great for the old people. Teaching jobs are again a perfect choice because experience counts in this kind of jobs. Students tend to respect older people and listen to them better. Non-voice business process outsourcing jobs are a good option and micro jobs are easy for them to do. I think that older people will find your post very helpful and useful indeed. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

funmi

Verified member
We call it retirement right? All those jobs stated above should be meant for young people not old people again. They have their bit all their youth stage let them go and invest in some businesses or set up home made business for themselves not those types of jobs listed above in your post. If the retirees are doing those jobs, where will the youth work?
This is part of the reasons why we have so much jobless youths in our country today. Because many of our old people have decided not to retire. They wants to continue to enjoy what they have been enjoying since the days of their youth. Which is totally unfair.
This error is also happening in politics too. Many people that fights or go for political offices in our dear country today are the old people not the young people. They make decisions for us.

Caramelle

@funmi, this thread is supposed to provide encouragement to retirees or senior citizens, not blame their desire to be productive for young people's unemployment. Let me ask you this: Can fresh graduates and people who are just starting a career become consultants? What can they share with other professionals when they have barely experienced working? Do they possess sufficient industry experience and credibility to teach a college subject that requires such qualifications? Did you know that those mature professionals take layers of post-graduate courses to be able to teach fellow professionals and successful entrepreneurs in post-graduate education?

For sure, retirees will not be able to match younger people when it comes to jobs that require physical strength and quick thinking. This is the reason why they are more fitted for work that requires deliberate thinking and less physical strain. What to blame for unemployment? There are a lot of factors besides the economic decline. One is skills and industry mismatch. Young people take up white-collar courses hoping to take on white-collar jobs that have multiple times more applicants than there are vacant positions. They end up unemployed or underemployed.

Young people, nowadays, have far more opportunities to succeed while older people have limited opportunities due to declining health, physical strength, and society's bias against older people working. Come to think of it, mandatory retirement at age 60 is the unfair part. In many highly developed countries, people can work beyond this age.​

E

eldavis

One of the best business to do when retired is something that requires little to no strength, cause since you are retired, then probably you are at an advanced years. You can easily start up a mini store of your own, you can sell things like provisions or food stuff or if you have the capital, it would be better if you go for real estate investment, it serves as a means of getting passive income and as well residual income.

funmi

Verified member
@Caramelle , I discovered that we are not from the same country. That is why you did not understand me better. If any retiree finds those jobs, and they feel they are still strong to do it, then so be it. Am just saying we have many unemployed youths in my country and old people do not consider them too. After retirement,they can venture into businesses that will not stress them out. You mentioned consultant, well I know someone who became a consultant before he retired, am sure he must have thought other people before he left. He is now into some private businesses that those not stress him much. When he was a consultant, he does not really have time for his family like that, as he is working in a government hospital. As he left the office, am sure some other people or someone must have occupied his office now. That is what am talking about, I just want them to give other people opportunity to know what they have known and have the experience they have too. Please, don't get me wrong just try to pick my major points and reason along with what have said too. Thanks.

Mellorando

Banned
Once upon a time, retiring meant hanging up the proverbial boots and saying goodbye to working. Today many Nigerians are redefining retirement by choosing to work after the age of 65. If you’re looking for a way to join them and make extra money in retirement, read on!
If you’ve just retired, it’s time to pop a bottle of champagne, celebrate your achievements and say goodbye to working in the traditional sense. You’ve earned it. Then you might consider that retirement is a great opportunity to earn extra money on your terms while staying active and social. Whether it’s to supplement your pension and Social Security or simply to monetize a hobby or skill you’ve always wanted to try, there are many achievable ways to earn a decent income after you retire.

1. Investing and Trading
This is an ideal strategy for younger retirees or those who want to use their extra money to build a nice nest egg for their children or grandchildren. Learning how to invest wisely can be one of the best ways to earn extra income leading up to retirement and well after. I’m not talking about the get-rich-quick schemes you see on YouTube. The key is to start as early as possible and invest in something modest and safe like Index Funds or ETFs.

2. Renting Out Your Space
Letting strangers into your home is one of the most profitable ways to earn extra money in retirement. You can make a solid income by safely renting out your home using platforms like Airbnb and If you have a newly renovated basement, a cottage you rarely use, or you go on vacation for a month, you have prime real estate! Instead of leaving your unused property vacant, you can rent it out and make a profitable side income. One retired host rents out her New Orleans home to travelers and makes enough money to support herself and supplement her Social Security.

3. Teaching and Tutoring
Thanks to high-speed internet and Covid-19, virtual learning has become the way of the future. If you enjoy teaching, this is something worth considering after you retire. One of the most popular ways you can do this is by teaching English online. Many websites will require you to have a Bachelor’s degree and an ESL certificate will increase your chances of landing a higher-paying teaching job. Previous teaching experience is a plus but it’s not mandatory. If you’re interested in tutoring, you can sign up on websites like VIPKid or Preply and find flexible tutoring opportunities that fit your skillset. It’s a great way to make extra money in retirement without having to leave your home!

Hania iman

I think we should save our pension and do a business with our pension because best job after retirement is that we should start our own business.