Long Term Job Vs. Short Term Job: Which One is Better?

Mika

VIP Contributor
Long term job means you work for many years, possibly 10-20 years, and then finally retire from the job. Short term job means you work for few years, possibly for 3-5 years. Once the term for your job ends you start looking for another job.

One of the major benefits of a long-term job is you get retirement benefits (if the company has this provision. You may also be entitled to employer benefits like provident funds.

If you are with a short-term job, you are not entitled to employment benefits like provident funds or retirement benefits; however, you have the freedom to switch to another higher-paying job. Freedom to switch to another job or bargain with the employer for better pay is the major benefit of a short-term job.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I always prefer long term jobs because it's benefits far outweigh that of short term jobs. Long term jobs firstly, comes with you having a permanent job nobody wants to be job hunting for the rest of their lives or from season to season. With long term job you would have saved yourself from job hunting for a very long time.

Being in an employ for a long term would bring about efficiency and specialization in ones field of work. You must have done a particular kind of work for a long time and you have thoroughly mastered it. This is a good thing that being in a job for a long time brings.

Being in a job for a long term will see one having the kind of promotion that one deserves. You would have your upgrading with the benefits that comes with it. This is one thing that one might never benefits from a short term job. So this alone should make one stay in a job for a long time.

Lastly long term jobs will be rewarding even after retirement as one will be rewarded with pension and gratuity especially if it was a government job

ash887

personally i think you should do whats best for you in the sense that if a job your doing is fulfilling, your enjoying it then go for that
but at the same time don't keep all your eggs in the same basket
look for other side hustles as COVID has taught all of us

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I don't really like changing job except if there is some instances that warrants it. Changing job may means changing many things like friends, environment and the likes. This at times may affect productivity of workers especially if the new place of work is less challenging compare to the former one.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was managing a software house I met a good programmer who works as an outsource. He doesn't want to be permanently employed for 2 reasons. First is the management of his time that when he has a personal project then he could work on it. Another is the earnings because an outsource is paid almost double that of an employee with the same duties. But whatever you say a short term job is not good.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I cannot imagine to work in the same company for 20 years. Well, there are many benefits of working for a long term job, for instance I can get employers' benefits but I think working many years for the same company will be monotonous. I prefer to work in short term jobs.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I also cannot imagine working for many years for the same company. My father retired as a teacher, he worked in three different schools for 20 years. Even he was transferred to other schools, it was the same teaching job, so possibly, there was nothing new to experience. I switched to 3 different jobs before I started freelancing.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
However, there is a benefit of working in a long term job. You might be a beneficiary of provident funds and pension funds. This is the major benefit of long term job. Long term job also provides financial security because you do not have to search for jobs again and again.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I would certainly prefer to get employed for the long-term albeit I am right now working on short term basis for a client right now. I do plan to pursue him and ask him to hire me for a long-term period because I prefer working regularly and get paid a fixed salary.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Long term jobs give you some sort of financial security because you don't have to look for new jobs after your contract ends with your current employer. However, long term job also give you limited earning opportunity because you are not in a position to negotiate better pay as you have to follow their pay scale.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Agreed. However, if you are in high-paying short-term jobs, you can also save a lot of money and build your retirement funds. The question is not about a long-term job or a short-term job, the main question is how much you are being paid on your job. What's the point in working in a long-term job that pays poorly?

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
It is also difficult to flit through various jobs. It is quite impossible to get another job the day after you quit a job. Unless, you are already in talks with a new employer, getting jobs will take time. Until you find a new job, you will be already spending a large portion of your saving just to pay your bills.,