My Affiliate Marketing Adventures

cmoneyspinner

About 10+ years ago I decided to try to make money online as an affiliate marketer. Sharing my experience and hoping you learn something from it.

The first thing I did was find affiliate marketing networks that I could sign up for free. Some networks make you pay a fee before you can join. I also made sure to pick networks that had a wide variety of merchants. For example, ShareASale, has hundreds of merchants and they sell everything: clothing, shoes, and jewelry, health and beauty products, home décor, food and drink, consumer electronics, etc. In this way, I could pick a niche, then go find the merchants and share their links.

In the beginning, I thought a blog or website was required in order to share the links and banners, so I built sites. Later on, I learned that you could use social media marketing and share links via Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook. So now I do both.

Another thing to look for is whether the merchant pays per click, pays per sale, or pays per lead. Most of the merchants I have been approved for pay per sale. But a few of them do PPC. Pay-Per-Click is great because the potential customer does not have to buy the item, i.e. there does not have to be a sale. The person just has to click the link you shared and you earn because when they clicked the link, it sent a customer to the merchant's website. Some merchants just want you to get the customer to their store. I have not had any success with merchants who pay per lead. So I have nothing to report on that.

One last thing, for those who feel they may need to take a course or have some kind of training, there are free courses and paid courses. I suggest the free class but if you want to pay for a course, go right ahead. You will learn “how to” either way.

This is a quick snapshot of how I began my adventures in affiliate marketing. Once I started, I never looked back. I kept looking forward trying to find more and more affiliate networks and programs. There are lots of them out there.

REF: 8 Best Affiliate Networks for Earning Passive Income in 2021

Kennysplash

Verified member
About 10+ years ago I decided to try to make money online as an affiliate marketer. Sharing my experience and hoping you learn something from it.

The first thing I did was find affiliate marketing networks that I could sign up for free. Some networks make you pay a fee before you can join. I also made sure to pick networks that had a wide variety of merchants. For example, ShareASale, has hundreds of merchants and they sell everything: clothing, shoes, and jewelry, health and beauty products, home décor, food and drink, consumer electronics, etc. In this way, I could pick a niche, then go find the merchants and share their links.

In the beginning, I thought a blog or website was required in order to share the links and banners, so I built sites. Later on, I learned that you could use social media marketing and share links via Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook. So now I do both.

Another thing to look for is whether the merchant pays per click, pays per sale, or pays per lead. Most of the merchants I have been approved for pay per sale. But a few of them do PPC. Pay-Per-Click is great because the potential customer does not have to buy the item, i.e. there does not have to be a sale. The person just has to click the link you shared and you earn because when they clicked the link, it sent a customer to the merchant's website. Some merchants just want you to get the customer to their store. I have not had any success with merchants who pay per lead. So I have nothing to report on that.

One last thing, for those who feel they may need to take a course or have some kind of training, there are free courses and paid courses. I suggest the free class but if you want to pay for a course, go right ahead. You will learn “how to” either way.

This is a quick snapshot of how I began my adventures in affiliate marketing. Once I started, I never looked back. I kept looking forward trying to find more and more affiliate networks and programs. There are lots of them out there.

REF: 8 Best Affiliate Networks for Earning Passive Income in 2021
Making money through affiliate marketing is just not for me. I have signed up for few merchant sites and promoted some products but I never made a single sale. I think it is for those that are active online. If you have a huge follower base on Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc then you can make money through affiliate marketing. Also if you have good social skills offline too, then you can make it, you can tell your friends and other people that you meet about the product you are promoting. But for the introverts, it is very hard. So I forgot about it and tried other things.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
Good adventure with that point, I too was going to start something but I am not sure which one I should use for affiliate networking; my favourite is CPM as people do not even have to click, but it will require 1k impression, so CPC still have a little possibility with clicks.

CPC type of merchants want to popularize themselves, this type of merchants are those who think their products are possible buyout type, and they only need visitor, if they pay for purchase, they'll be paying more.

On PPL, whatever, you had some experience with them, so it is still good, PPL might be hard to get succeed.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
I think you and I have something in common when it comes to the adventure on affiliate marketing.

I got to know about affiliate marketing in the year 2007 from a local newspaper. I was looking for some else at that time only for the to stumble upon an article which got me hooked instantly.

Article was all about a guy from Singapore, Ewen Chia who made one million dollars as an affiliate in the space of 36 hours. It's was only John Reese who made the amount in lesser time.

It was that period I started reading anything about affiliate marketing because I couldn't see someone to teach me in my city.

I didn't start until 2011 when I set up my first affiliate marketing websites. The reason it took me so long is that the only affiliate program (clickbank) I know do not accept my country because I am from Nigeria.

Later I got to know about Amazon associate programs and pitched my tent with them. I made a couple of commission from Amazon associate before I enrolled for Master program.

Last edited: