Not As Bad As It Could Have Been

Chase

It's time for an end-of-the-month look at my finances. Surprisingly, it's not nearly as bad as I feared.

First I had a $3500 emergency (I will spare you the details, but let's just say one of my children will not be around for quite awhile, but not as long as it might have been had she not had a very competent attorney). Then, my baby-steps emergency fund, which is supposed to contain $1000 has more like $200 in it.

So I wound up using a line of credit at my credit union to pay the bill. I've had that line for nearly a decade but haven't used it for the past three years. Just what I need--more debt!

Still, the good news is that by the end of May, I was able to throw money at my other debts such that I wound up the month only increasing my total indebtedness by $806.99. Admittedly, that's going in the wrong direction, but I was worried that the damage would be much worse. I chose not to pay back more than a minimum payment on the line of credit because it has a 7.99% interest rate while my credit cards have higher rates.

All in all, I'm glad to see May in the rearview mirror, but I'm grateful I didn't dig my hole any deeper.

Onward to June, which looks to be a much better month, God and Murphy willing!