Opening an ice cream shop as a student. Good or bad?

Kabak95

It's good to have a side hustle. You can use it cover some expenses both personal and school. It will sell very well arround that location. I wish you more success in your new challenge.

Briangsam

It is very cool and okay to have a side hustle and extra means of making money legally and more so as a student. So having ice cream store in a strategic location in or around the school premises is a very brilliant idea and I can assure you that it will sell and you will make profits. But you have to be sure of it not affecting your studies. You have to find a way around that.

D

Deleted member 30343

Waiting till you graduate is procrastination and it is very bad for business. Since you already have the idea and you're very sure you are ready for it, start looking for capital and business location to get it started

Asad Ali

I assume that the profitability of this company depends primarily on the level of education and taste students on your campus for ice cream. If you feel like you can locate the business close to the campus and, while you're in school, at least get a family member to monitor the company, you can get revenue.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Its a very good business in the campus. Selling ice cream will be attracted by student.
If the shop is place in a good place where it will be accessible to the student .
If you want to start such a business you must make sure you are the type that use to joke with the student in other to draw them closer to you so that your sell will be increase.

Teatea

Waiting till you graduate is procrastination and it is very bad for business. Since you already have the idea and you're very sure you are ready for it, start looking for ways to get money. You don't have to start big with fancy shops and different flavors of ice creams, start with the little you are able to get and grow from there. Learn from your past mistakes and handle this one well.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
I know many peoples who done work while they are studying. I don't you are regular student or studying via distance learning program. It is depends on how you manage yours time. But I am suggesting you are studying via distance learning program you can try part time ice-cream business.
I study around the school main campus and with our tight syllabus... Having a shop is close to impossible... And I'm also a semi finalist with a lot of pressure so my priorities must be defined properly... Thanks for your input on this thread... Your contribution is highly regarded and your views are very mature...

marcusfe

Ice cream business is a very profitable business if properly handled. I've attended a seminar before where the managing director of a multi million ice cream company came to give a speech. He said he started as a franchise while in school and later he began to make his own but today he has his branches all over the country. The company he started with about #20,000 is not worth over #500million.

anil02

Verified member
No...I'm not planning an ice cream shop around a secondary school area but around a university and for you advise of waiting till after graduation...I think that the best as a lot of people have told me to chill myself down and wait till after graduation so that I can concentrate and take things one at time.
I know many peoples who done work while they are studying. I don't you are regular student or studying via distance learning program. It is depends on how you manage yours time. But I am suggesting you are studying via distance learning program you can try part time ice-cream business.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
You can do it around the school and also complete your graduation. Most of children of school but eating stuff in reses. So it is work of half an hour. So first you assured can you sell so much ice-cream with that you can earn. To keep ice-cream fresh you needs fridge and its need electricity. and you have to pay for it. So it better if you planned it properly
No...I'm not planning an ice cream shop around a secondary school area but around a university and for you advise of waiting till after graduation...I think that the best as a lot of people have told me to chill myself down and wait till after graduation so that I can concentrate and take things one at time.

anil02

Verified member
I am a student and like my status I love to ultilize every opportunity that present itself to me. So this is the thing... I once had a business of used cloths when I was a freshman but due to immaturity and spending unwisely I closed it up... But now I've learnt better. A lot of people have different type of business around the school area but none has an ice cream parlor. You have to go the main town for ice cream and the stock is always limited... Now this idea of having an ice cream shop is bothering me that sometimes I can't sleep... It's like a burden in my heart. I don't have the capital now... I have nothing but nothing is impossible when business obsession is hitting you hard. I've been finding it hard to discuss this business with anyone around the school area cause I'm scared boone should go and steal my idea...I've been thinking and gathering fact but this forum has a lot of students therefore I feel I should post this question here. Do you think I should wait, graduate before venturing into this business? Or I should just pursue it now as I'm still a student.
You can do it around the school and also complete your graduation. Most of children of school but eating stuff in reses. So it is work of half an hour. So first you assured can you sell so much ice-cream with that you can earn. To keep ice-cream fresh you needs fridge and its need electricity. and you have to pay for it. So it better if you planned it properly

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
An ice cream parlor will be a hit if it is very near the school particularly for the high school or university but not much for grade school. The trick in the ice cream shop here is to give free samples upon opening so that the prospective customers can evaluate if the product is good and if the service is also good.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
I am a student and like my status I love to ultilize every opportunity that present itself to me. So this is the thing... I once had a business of used cloths when I was a freshman but due to immaturity and spending unwisely I closed it up... But now I've learnt better. A lot of people have different type of business around the school area but none has an ice cream parlor. You have to go the main town for ice cream and the stock is always limited... Now this idea of having an ice cream shop is bothering me that sometimes I can't sleep... It's like a burden in my heart. I don't have the capital now... I have nothing but nothing is impossible when business obsession is hitting you hard. I've been finding it hard to discuss this business with anyone around the school area cause I'm scared boone should go and steal my idea...I've been thinking and gathering fact but this forum has a lot of students therefore I feel I should post this question here. Do you think I should wait, graduate before venturing into this business? Or I should just pursue it now as I'm still a student.

Victor001

Intuitively speaking, there is time and chance for everything, making money while schooling is achievable at the expense of your time and knowledge. Actually, no business idea is a waste, but one should understand various business must fit into various occupation and standings, petty business like project writing, material designing and practicals for colleagues and outsiders are possible and quicker way to raise funds.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Starting a business as a student can be challenging because you have to be running a business and also trying to meet up with your studies. but you some situation some people do not have financial backbone from either parents or relatives. Starting an ice cream shop as a student is actually a wise decision because not everyone will be able to cope with such business. Such business is also very you creative in the campus.

Hena101

That would be the good the good idea as long as starting a business is concerns. I'm a student i always fell happy and get excited whenever i see students engaging in businesses. But this one of opening an ice cream shop is very good considering the amount of of money students are spending on ice cream during occasions and also on normal basis when taken their babes out. So this is a good idea

Succjay

A very nice idea you got there, I'll advice you source for money and venture into it while you are still in school because students love ice cream. This will also require your time and services but make sure it doesn't affect your studies.

R.Mustapha

I had the same Idea since I have some engineering backgrounds I always wanted to create my own repair shop. But I never actually made the first step simply because I had to work for 8hours every day in my daily job. The idea never left my mind I'm trying to find someone who can help me achieve that and split the profit. I think if you have some spare time you can go for it. It is worth the effort.

D

Deleted member 27126

There is nothing bad in starting an ice cream business. You only need passion and seriousness.