Parents should stop choosing career for their children.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Parents play important role while choosing career for their children. There may be many reasons for this but in my own opinion, I don't think it is the best to be done. This is because it won't give the child freedom of choose as most time children are forced to do some careers against their wishes.

Bard Racheal

Choosing career for your children is not the best for those kids.

Everyone has their own life to live, though you're the parents of those children; making career decision for them can bring about serious itches in the future.

Problems you won't be able to handle.
You'll only try to appease them,but the deed has been done.

Those children has their own choices,and those choices may be the best for them.
Even though you say it's their instinct pushing them.

If you as a parent is a doctor,and you wish that your kids or one amongst your kids should be a doctor,and you try to tell them,just put it as a suggestion;it is not best to choose a career for them.

It may be that being a doctor does not sit well with them,and their capacity can't carry that;leave them to choose what they want.

What they choose can be of great benefit to them and you the parents at the very end.

As long as it's not a career that is hoodlumic in nature,and won't bring regrets to the family at last;it is right if they make good choices for themselves.

Some children tend to shrink in when it comes to career decision, because they do not know how their parents would take it. Because you as a parent, intimidates them often when matters of this nature comes to the family table.

It's not healthy for those kids.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
It is not good at all to be forcing children against the career they want to choose.
Some times when you force them to do what they don't want to do they may not performed well their because they do not have passion for the career.
But they will do well if the have passion for it.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
My own parents didn't choose a career for me, they gave me that free will of choosing what I love provided it isn't heading contrary to what the country detest. I choose the course I studied at the college, my passion which is earning me money was chosen by me, they only guide me, and allowed me to make the final decision, and that's how it should be. And not for the parents choosing the career for their child, and at the end it becomes a tussle because the child failed to meet up it's requirements to move further and achieve what it is.

D

Deleted member 28127

Parents play important role while choosing career for their children. There may be many reasons for this but in my own opinion, I don't think it is the best to be done. This is because it won't give the child freedom of choose as most time children are forced to do some careers against their wishes.
This is due to a specific reason like for example your mother is a doctor then you have to become a doctor because where your mother becomes old you will work in her place in her local of work, or for example same if the case your father is a doctor then you have only one choice is to study medecines even you like something else.

Suba

Staff member
In my opinion today, it is much different from the past, now parents even though their mother is a doctor, their father is a colonel, this parent used to be very smart in class, also his son is smart in class with very good grades, but he doesn't want to be a doctor or a soldier but wants to be an ambassador, so he must take a socio-political education, wise parents will certainly guide their children to achieve their goals, not forcing their will.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
This is due to a specific reason like for example your mother is a doctor then you have to become a doctor because where your mother becomes old you will work in her place in her local of work, or for example same if the case your father is a doctor then you have only one choice is to study medecines even you like something else.
This is true. There are some when parents needs to put their children through some careers that they have much knowledge in.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Yes, there are many parents who always make their kids want to do what they do not want to do. A person cannot achieve success until or unless he or she prefers a career that he or she likes. If a person wants to become a doctor, then he or she can never become a good engineer. This is something that parents must realize. Forcing children can make them depressed and they may not achieve the success in life they deserve.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I am against the opinion that parents should not meddle in children's careers. You will make a decision about your career once you graduate from High School. Until you are in school, you will be studying all subjects, but once you graduate from High School, you will choose specialized courses, like Science, management, Humanities, Medicine, Engineering, etc. When you are a High School graduate, you are just about 18-20 years. Can a kid of 18 years take a decision about his career? I believe parents should help the kids to choose the carer and kids should listen to their parents.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
This is a really delicate issue, I've read different views from the correspondents and I think they all have valid points.

Teens can be naive atimes so, presence of an adult in such decisions cannot be overemphasized, because children or young adults mostly don't know what they want, they can choose a non marketable career that won't sustain them in the long run.

That's why guidance and counselling is very important, because school counsellors understand them better and can help them make informed decisions

Victorial

Well, that will not be a good thing to do. Choosing a career for a child can kill morale and lead the child astray. A career is all about art. You don't choose it. It chooses you and you will bend to its will to succeed. Parents have become an enemy of their children because the children did not obey their choices of career. They only need to be guided in their journey to actualizing their dreams

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Like someone have stated, one of the reasons parents choose or try to choose careers for their children is because they want them to succeed them in their various jobs, some people own companies and of course they will do anything possible for children to succeed them and some are doctors as the case may be.

Good luck

Verified member
It is not a good idea for parents to choose career for their children because if anything go wrong in future,such parents will be blame for misleading the child.it is better to guide them on which ever career they choose and follow them up so as not to go astray.Choosing for them will confuse them in so many areas in life.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It is not a good idea for parents to choose career for their children because if anything go wrong in future,such parents will be blame for misleading the child.it is better to guide them on which ever career they choose and follow them up so as not to go astray.Choosing for them will confuse them in so many areas in life.
Reading through the opinions of other commentators make me want to change my opinion about yours. They claim that parents need to choose for their children because at times children don't make right choices due to peer group influence and lack of experience. However, they should not force their opinions on the children, they should only allow him to see reasons why he needs to consider the choice of career being chosen for him.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I think he career should be choose by parents and kids jointly. Let say the kid decides to go to medical school to become a doctor, if his parents does not fund his education how can the kid pay tuition fees. He cannot work and build fortunes to bay college fees, and student loan is not available every where.

Kendy

Verified member
I agree with you and this menace is really happening here in Nigeria, where parents suppress their children's talent and force them into career that is not motivating to them. Parents even cause enmity between siblings when they constantly promote one course of study over the other as though it is not still important. Presently, most people who are reading educational courses are by default, they actually did not choose it but due to prolonged years by their parents to studying a particular course, they find themselves having no other alternative. There is a young lad who graduated 2014 with me and he had passion for music and photography but his parents were against him, they wanted him to read a course that according to them has prestige which is Medicine and surgery. The you d boy had no choice because he had no means to find his music or photography career at that point so he had difficulties in passing the cutoff mark that was stipulated for medicine and this led to him remaining at home for more than 5years interval just in a bid to study a course forced by his parents. Finally, when he gained admission, he failed woefully at the first year and was asked to change department. The fact is, that was never his passion and to end the reality, his parents had wasted his years and till today, he is not in good terms with his parents due to this bad situation.

funmi

Verified member
Yes parents should stop choosing career for their children as they most times end of destroy the destiny of their children by making them to make and take a wrong step in life. In my days in the higher institution there was this friend of mine who was in the same department with us and it was in our final year that this lady came back to me to tell me that her dad was the one that made her to spend all her time in the university studying the course she studied and she never wanted to study that particular course as she does not feel fulfilled studying that particular course. At the completion of the degree programme she had to reapply again for admission and started the process all over and she was not admitted into the course of her choice she needed to reapply the third time before she was granted admission and now she is still in school but she says she is very happy with the whole process and that she feels fulfilled studying the course of her dreams. But this actually took gap years of her life. So parents should allow their children to study and follow a career path the children would prefer.

E

eldavis

I believe most parents are beginning to get the understanding that their choice is not always the same. Most times parents tend to pass on their dreams to their children without even caring about the dreams of their children, this is why most kids do not do well in their career choice, cause t was never their choice in the first place.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I have understand this many years ago , it is not the best to choose a career for children but sometimes we are to let them chose it base base on what they are actually interested to do .

I believe the most important thing parents should consider doing is to advice the children on the best career path. Advising them on the best career will always help them in So many ways . Sometimes they might choose it out of their own ignorance without really understanding the economics of the country and so many things .

As we all understand there are some careers that won't be profitable in some countries depending on how the country is and depending on certain circumstances.

As a result it would be the right thing for us to just advise children to choose the best career that we will be profitable to them , telling them not to studying something that won't be profitable.

I could give them advice and they have to decide whether to take it or not. At the end of the day it would still be in their own decision to choose the most suitable one for them. That's all .

Ajebo25

Verified member
Nice article this problem which has affected many people in my country in Nigeria parents often want to choose career for their children even when knowing the talent which the children are as this is what the other people are better than us at their usually check the Talents of their children before asking them we specifically job they would like to go into but other parents like to choose jobs for their child or carriers for their child and this is really bad the Childhood Focus or put passion and the job because it is not something he or she loves to do them for we should always monitor our child and ask them which work or career they would like it to go into and not make them choose the job simply because we made them to this is a problem which happens every thing and I have affected the world greatly our child grows up with different carrier mindset there for each person is good at a different thing so we should check our child and see what they are good at before helping them to grow as what they are good at in order to produce good thing for the community