poultry farming setbacks

King bell

VIP Contributor
Many people think of poultry farming as an easy way to make money, but there are several setbacks that can occur. One of the most common problems is cannibalism, which is when the chickens eat each other. This can be caused by a lack of space, boredom, or stress.

Another common problem is parasites. These can be carried by the chickens or the eggs, and can cause serious health problems in both the chickens and the people who eat their eggs. Poor nutrition is also a common issue in poultry farming. Chickens that are not well-fed will not lay eggs, and will be more susceptible to disease.

Many commercial poultry farms use antibiotics and hormones to keep their chickens healthy. However, this can also lead to health problems for the chickens and for the people who eat their eggs. There are concerns that the use of antibiotics and hormones in agriculture may be contributing to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

arunima25

Verified member
Poultry farming can be a very profitable business. But then like any business to thrive, it too requires a lot of care and maintenance to be sustained. Quality is one thing that can never be compromised in any business. Now when one is planning to start a poultry business, one should never mistake it to be an easy going money making. You have to make investments in the business to ensure that the poultry that you rear there stay safe and healthy. Cleanliness has to be maintained and the hygiene around the place should be well maintained to ensure that any infection stays away from these poultry birds. It shoukd be spacious enough to accomodate these burds and with good ventilation and sanitation around. Else the birds might fall sick abd due.
Now coming to the point of using hormones and antibiotics. That's being debated abd many people are now going for the organic way of rearing these poultry farms. That would need the knowledge and skills to rear these birds in organic way. A good knowledge off business always helps. It would be a smart thing to do some research and collect some informations about the same. Many courses are available to help one with starting a organic poultry farm.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I am not in the poultry business but I know a lot of people who are in poultry farming. I even have uncles who are raising chickens for meat and eggs. Based on my observation, I think bird flu is the biggest setback in poultry farming. In our country, you can't even get insured against avian flu. When the bird flue outbreaks your entire coop will be infected and you need to kill all of your chickens. If you don't do it yourself, the government will send people to kill the chickens affected with bird flu (this is what happens in our country). Furthermore, when bird flu outbreaks, you can't sell eggs and meat even when your chickens are affected because consumers panic due to the outbreak and they will stop buying poultry. When you can't sell easily, you will have to lower your price drastically and you lose a lot of money.