Should an employer punish employee with salary delay?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There should be punishment for every misused opportunity. When a worker does a wrong thing, there should be some ways employer should dealt with such a worker to serve as deterrent for others.

In my workplace last week, one of us, the workers, failed to do his job and the manager while addressing us promised to delay his salary till he would be done with the work he was supposed to do.

However, while some people found this not something serious, I did. I didn't support punishing workers with anything related to salary. I believe there should be other ways of punishing workers aside delaying or withholding salary.

I do believe that salary is what a worker worked for and should not be tampered with. If a worker commit any grievance in the course of discharging his duty. There should be several other ways of making him surfer what he did wrong without tampering his salary.

Others didn't see it the way I saw it and they opted for salary punishment. They said when a worker is denied of his salary, he would learn how to avoid those silly mistakes.

P

Porico

Well if a worker does not perform his or her task well as an employee,the employer has all reasonable right to punish such employee with salary delay so he or she can learn thier lessons

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have seen an employee being suspended for 3 days of work with no pay due to excessive tardiness. But I have never heard of a delayed salary for an erring employee. For me, the salary is the livelihood of the employee. Withholding the salary even for 1 day of delay can affect the employee and his family.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
I believe it's pure wickedness when an employer withheld a worker's salary. It shouldn't be, because workers have families too and they shouldn't be treated as such. Even when a worker needs to be punished for some errors, I think a worker can be punished through suspension or with something else....not with delay of payment.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I don’t think this is right at all. I know a lot of wicked employers try to do this to show dominance but it is wrong. It is same with the useless deductions that some do too. They deduct your money for every little offence. I hope there will authorities one can report them

moonchild

VIP Contributor
No, he shouldn't

A salary is an agreement between an employer and employee, it is not a punishment measure giving the said employee have fulfilled his part of the bargain I.e he has worked for the given time agreed on , he's entitled to his salary.

It happens in sub standard companies where there's no business ethics or no appreciation of employees, you can take it up to court if such happens to you and also try your best to leave such organization because they can put you in a jeopardising situation as they have shown themselves to be inept and unable to keep their side of the bargain.

Lemming

It's one thing to make a mistake and it's another thing to behave negligently.
It's one thing to make a mistake, it's another thing to not be punctual, not to carry out your task because you're disinterested.
It's one thing to make a mistake because you haven't learned the job well yet and it's another thing to not put in the effort to learn.
It's one thing for your boss to have allowed you to learn and grow professionally, and it's another thing for him to have hired you with the expectation that you already knew everything you needed to know.
It's one thing to be scolded when you make mistakes, but when you do things well you don't receive rewards.
Each case is different and cannot be generalized, even if the word "to punish" is not so kind.

Etini

Valued Contributor
If the employee had a task that he or she needed to complete and that task has a bearing on the operations of the company, it is just wise that he completes that task before getting paid. That is quite different than when an employer uses delayed salaries as a punishment for a rule infraction.

That would amount to insensitivity on the path of the employer. Employees depend on their salaries to sustain a living and having to delay it for a workplace infraction is you basically denying the staff his or her livelihood. If that happens in an organisation I work for, I won't last up to 2 more months in that organization.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It is truly insensitivity from the part of the employer punishing with salary delay or non payment of salary. However, there are some situations when employees will intentionally commit an offence, let say, late coming. The may intentionally becoming late since they know that there won't be tangible punishment for that. In such a situation, I can advice the employer to either remove the part of the salary or issue query to such a worker.

Some employee needs to be threatened before they do the right things even when they know the right things expected from them.