Should I continue the family business?

Kennysplash

Verified member
This is an issue that is disturbing my friend. His family runs a huge supermarket, his mom and dad manages it. Unfortunately he is the only son, and now they expect him to finish schooling and come over to the business. But he has other plans, he wants to be an engineer. This issue has been causing divisions in the home. They believe that they will leave the business to him, and what he will be making there will be far more than most jobs he could find out there. This is true though, it is a very big supermarket. They keep telling him he should be grateful for the opportunity he has not to be soliciting for jobs. I don't blame them, they have to leave the business for someone or sell it off, and the later will be very hard for them to do, it has been their life. Now he is thinking of giving in to them. What do you suggest he do? He is so lost.

eenya00

I honestly believe that this is a very good problem your Friend has find himself in, in this present day and age he could definitely achieve both, i.e both running the supermarket and getting his degree as an engineer if he is passionate about.
At first he could start running the supermarket and properly learn the ropes and what it entails then he could hire competent hands to assist him in running the supermarket, in a way that his presents and input is not needed for the day to day running of the supermarket. Only then he can chase his engineering ambition either learning physically or virtually.
But I strongly advise that he accepts his parents offer of running the supermarket.

Josemendez

Verified member
I think he should follow his dream of becoming an engineer ,because he will do better at something he has Interest in.
However , being the only son and having a business that will be entrusted to him should be something he should consider.
To me ,he should find a way to balance the scale ,and as thus he should be able to manage the business and still focus on his dream career.

The parents should be managing the business until he finishes his school . Be should then ,find time to know the business before giving someone to manage his business for him .

But then , if he has seen reasons to take over the super market and abondone his career , he should then focus and learn how to run the business from his parents, since the business is lucrative.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
In our culture, it is always best to do what you like to do, even if you are unsuccessful in whatever you like, it is better than to do other things, however that was ancient times when help was available from all sides, now wherever you get job, you must not let it go. Your friend is lucky to have a good business, but you did not mention which engineering your friend have in mind? Even supermarket will need engineers to maintain several products, giving it up and looking for job is not only risky, but harmful. Your friend is young nerd, it is your duty to show him right path.