Should making money be a student's top priority?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
In a world where there is no longer a need for delayed gratification, we get to see lots of kids and young adults who ordinarily should be thinking about how to acquire knowledge that would be of use in solving future problems, trying to focus much of their attention in being able to make money so as to impress their friends and loved ones , or to oppress those who are not as "rich" as they are

This has got me thinking and I have to create this thread so we could all share our ideas on what we think is the best way forward .

From my own perspective and level of understanding, poverty is one of the leading cause of such clamour for such immediate gratification.
Children want to try as much as possible to get those things which their own parents could not afford to buy for them..

The economic situation of a country is also another factor, and if the government does not offer enough students support.

The problem now is that, once youths continue to think that making money is the only essence of living and do not develope themselves in other areas of life, it would be difficult to get a developed society heading towards the right direction.

What do you think?

SANIA

In my opinion, balance is always important. Students should focus on their studies and lifetime goals. They should have a a broad vision and plan accordingly. But at the same time, they can utilize their time to earn some extra cash using their current skills and expertise. When people are able to cash their skills and time, it gives them sense of satisfaction and motivation to achieve more in life. But short term goals should not replace long term goals. Such as students should not neglect their studies and bright future just to earn some bucks.
The balance is the key.

E

eldavis

I think there should be a balance. It's no news that there are jobs out there, especially for does of us from Africa countries or developing countries, hence most students learn hand skills to assist themselves after school and most even start working before they graduate. Making money is important but it should not be your only and top priority. Your main focus should be to graduate with good grades. If you plan on making money your number one goal then you should have not enrolled for school in the first place.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I think there should be a balance. It's no news that there are jobs out there, especially for does of us from Africa countries or developing countries, hence most students learn hand skills to assist themselves after school and most even start working before they graduate. Making money is important but it should not be your only and top priority. Your main focus should be to graduate with good grades. If you plan on making money your number one goal then you should have not enrolled for school in the first place.
I am glad you really understand what I was trying to buttress. The problem with our society is that the youths these days lack patience and they always want to get things immediately and have to continue to engage in even activities that are not legal just for the sake of making money.

This is why I always agree with people who say that there is a need for some kind of mental rehabilitation in our world today so as to enable a lot of us to set our priorities right and make sure are not just focused on making money.
This is really hard though, but nothing just happens, but with patience we can still get it right in our world today.

The government has to also step up their game by making sure that there are enough support for their citizens who are in school. This is usually done through students loans, Scholarships and so many other alternatives that can be used to get things done orderly.

So many youths develop these kind of attitude because the government has made things to look as though there are no guarantees for the future, so the youths want to secure their future right from now, since the government is failing them.

E

eldavis

I am glad you really understand what I was trying to buttress. The problem with our society is that the youths these days lack patience and they always want to get things immediately and have to continue to engage in even activities that are not legal just for the sake of making money.

This is why I always agree with people who say that there is a need for some kind of mental rehabilitation in our world today so as to enable a lot of us to set our priorities right and make sure are not just focused on making money.
This is really hard though, but nothing just happens, but with patience we can still get it right in our world today.

The government has to also step up their game by making sure that there are enough support for their citizens who are in school. This is usually done through students loans, Scholarships and so many other alternatives that can be used to get things done orderly.

So many youths develop these kind of attitude because the government has made things to look as though there are no guarantees for the future, so the youths want to secure their future right from now, since the government is failing them.
I think there needs to be an orientation for not just the students and citizens, but the government it self as well. What you said makes alot of sense but in the end even when the government creates loans and scholarships, it would not get to those who are in need of it simply because of the corrupt practice going on in these sectors. Those in charge would only give out slots to people they know.

Stena

I think our students need a kind of orientation on these things. Due to the inability to obtain the things they want from their parents or guardians, they have gotten to realise that there are ways to do that themselves.

Personally, I do not think that a secondary school student should have anything to do with money making, since it is a terrible distraction. Students at this level should concentrate on their studies and leave money making till they graduate.
Parents should also ensure that their wards acquire a marketable skill after their secondary education. This would help prepare them for the world after school.

These days, due to poverty or the mere desire to be gratified, young schoolers have indulged in fraudulent activities. Financial assistance can be made to poor students by sourcing for scholarships or student grants. This way, our students can better concentrate on school work.

At the tertiary level, making money-making top priority could be the choice of the student since he or she is now an adult. The student must have acquired a marketable skill through which he or she can earn from while schooling. A lot of students in our universities are business owners and others have realised several ways to make money especially online.

My bottom line opinion is this: the level of education of a student should be brought into view. Students of primary and secondary school ages should rule out money making and concentrate in school.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I think there needs to be an orientation for not just the students and citizens, but the government it self as well. What you said makes alot of sense but in the end even when the government creates loans and scholarships, it would not get to those who are in need of it simply because of the corrupt practice going on in these sectors. Those in charge would only give out slots to people they know.
Corruption is another thing to factor in , that is why the issue of mental rehabilitation should never be taken for granted, especially by the government and religious bodies, together with other social groups concerned with such awareness creation. This is why I strongly advise so.

No matter how much support you give to individuals, if you do not give them a proper mental orientation, they would still misuse what they have and end up blaming the government.

That is why I am always of the opinion that the government should focus more on empowering the youths on how they should be self reliable and have a very good sense of financial discipline which would enable them to not be losing money or be careless all the time.

Most of the youths who lose focus early and then think about money all the time are not really doing so because they need the money, but it is because they want to live to impress the people that are living around them so they could be seen as big boys. This is purely a result of lack of appropriate orientation about finances which they ought to have gotten from either their government or the parents and the society in general.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Making money should not be a student's top priority, because if it is, going to school is useless in the first place, such student cannot focus and will end up dropping out or graduating with bad grades.

I share the same view with you on this issue, our society today, glorifies money, there's nothing wrong with making money legitimately though.

But nowadays, most students need money so that they can show it off to others that they're this or that, those kind of people can't see beyond their nose.

These are the consequences of comparison, most students compare their selves with other people due to social media and lack of self of esteem and they try so hard to copy other people instead of being themselves.

They feel impulsive and want to have everything right now, no respect to process and discipline, if you look at these people closely you'll find out that it's only misery they end up in.

A student should focus on his studies wholeheartedly even though making money on the side is very okay, but after graduation one will have all the time in the world to make money.

Mixing studying and making money may lead to bad performance in exams and tests .

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Any students that makes money his or her top priority is engaging in misplaced priority. Search student is bound to fail both in the school and outside the school even if he or she managed to graduate from the university or college.

A student that makes money his or her top priority will not focus on studying. he or she might even drop out at the middle of his higher education. What is the essence of going to university or college when you cannot internalize what you learn.

Some of them will tell you that they are in the school to earn certificate in order to enforce salary in the job market place. This is true to some extent but that is not the main thing in life.

Something like this can only prevail in a society that has a lot of people in poverty level. People will not think about adding value to the humanities. The only think about making more money to cause you not to invest.

A student status dedicated and focused on his study will definitely graduate with good grade from the University or college. Good grade is the first criteria every company look out for is someone who wants to work for them.

This does not mean that a student cannot engage inside hustling but it should not be too important to affect his study.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
The primary aim of students should not be money making but to acquire necessary knowledge that will help them to make money tomorrow.

The truth is that in some countries, the economy is very harsh and if you do not find a way to help yourself you would probably be in stuck. Many students try as much as possible to make money because they do not have anyone to support them properly throughout your school life.

I think in this case, like someone has stated, balance is always very important because if you focus all your attention in money making you will lag behind in your academics which is probably very bad. It is also important that you try as much as possible to be versatile in school so that when you finish, tomorrow you will not find it very difficult to get a job or make money.

There are a lot of people that graduated with first class as students in the university but they end up not getting any job or a good paying job. I am sure everyone do not want such a situation because certificate alone cannot really get you what you want in this internet age.

Mika

VIP Contributor
To be frank, money-making should not be on the cards for students. Students should be always focused on education, excelling in school and college, getting good grades. If you graduate from college and university with good grades, your chances of getting a job greatly increase. However, if you need money because you want to pay for tuition fees or other bills, you should be looking for a part-time job (part-time because you are a student and you still need time to study). A better approach would be working online (because you will save time to go to the workplace) and you will also have working flexibility

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
There are some students who are the ones sponsoring themselves in schools , colleges and universities . And yes it is okay to say that money is also another priority in their minds to achieve , without achieving money they will be able to pay the education bills and fees . And also they won't be able to buy for them self assigned and respective textbooks to aid their education activities and practices . Even though they are not the ones paying their school fees or sponsoring themselves in schools and colleges . It is important that they are mind should be thinking of ways to become independent and not dependent on their guardians and parents to sponsor their needs .

It is commendable that students are becoming wise and knowledgeable these days and so they are spending their time wisely by working on various online jobs so as to make a positive and considerable amount of money so as to fend for some of their material , physical , and educational needs and wants . There are various websites and platform in the internet that person uses for carrying out little and uncomplicated duties and tasks . A student looking for ways to make money online can engage in website and platform like this where little or less of his or her time will be needed to earn money , so as not to encroach his educational activities .

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Making money is very important but there are so many things that should be put into consideration , if you are a student and you need money then one of the most important thing is to create time to read ..

But a situation that you are the one to pay for your school fees and take care of all your school activities that involves money well you do not have any other option than to create a time to fix in your earning opportunities because it will be needed since you don't have any other way of generating money.

But a situation in which you just need money for yourself then you should also try as much as possible to create time to read comfortably and you shouldn't allowed the acts of making money to overwhelmed you to a point that you are not concentrating in your education.

Making money is absolutely necessary but that shouldn't really take so much of your concentration that you start performing poorly in your academic area because that is also what will determine your future. Concentrating in your education is always very important . Online business even the best since you can do it on spare time.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
To be frank, most students need to make money online and even prioritise it. This is because the economy of their country may demand what they do. I know of a country where the economy is badly affected, such country will have her students engaging in making money rather than focusing especially when helps are not forthcoming.

But does justify the reason why a student must leave his main focus and choose to make money? No will be the answer over and over. Making money as students must be done in moderate ways. There are all tendencies that making money will always distract us from focusing on the main thing that we go to school to do, which is learning.

What's the way forward in am economy that is not good or when a student doesn't have any help forthcoming? There is much to do that to make sure that we balance the time that we have. Let us learn how to manage our time. We can make sure we work online in the night and schooling in a day. We need to make sure to know that making money is not the main reason for going to school, it is to learn.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
For me I don't have any problem if a student decide to focus on making money . If you have the opportunity to be making money now please we should try as much as possible to do it . Because the Nigerian government are not trusted with employment and you may even focus to get the scale you are interested but at the end you are not able to get employed. For me this does not really make sense. A lot of opportunity will always comes in our life once and at the same time making money should not just be the reason why you should not be concentrating in your education. Don't also make money to impress anyone.

Going to school should not be the only way to relieve you from financial freedom but most times you should rather go to school for your own personal self . If you are thinking of becoming rich after you have graduated , you have to understand that so many people are unemployed.