Should parents bequathe their wealth for their children to start their businesses?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Heated argument ensued between me and my closest friend last week following the tweet from the popular Chinese actor, Jackie Chan. He tweeted that he won't bequeathe anything to his child.

Of course, some people like my friend, found this offended, he claimed that is too callous. He supported his argument by trying to convince me that a parent needs to help his children while growing and even while grown.

And to his surprise, I rebuffed everything he said. I told him that a parent needs not to pamper his or her children by giving them what they want. They should prepare their children for the road and not prepare the road for their children.

To be candid, the argument could not be settled because none between us eventually agreed to accept the view of any one of us.

To make it public, which if the view do you think is right and why do you want to support the view. Do you think parents should make a soft landing for their children by giving them whatever they want in order to make their success journey easier. Or are you of the opinion that children are to be left alone to be on their own by being independent and try to make way for themselves.

Chibson

Valued Contributor
This is a very good topic. If I happen to be a very wealthy man, I will not give my children everything they want in a platter of gold. Even though I will have a very good plan for them, but that doesn't mean that I will not treat them to be hard working and of course know that life is not a bed of roses. I will also stop up wealthfor them but I will not let them know until I notice how hard working they are.

Comment

Briangsam

Verified member
This is a very sensitive topic that many people do not like to talk about for many reasons. One reason being that they do not want it to look as if they have a favorite child or children. Hence, the need for that. Leaving inheritance for children depends on the type of children you have though.

Comment

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Parents laid the foundation for the children, nurture the best training to them, and not pamper them. If you pamper your children too much they become so lazy to even practice how to make money on their own, and fail to understand how life is all about. We should allow them to try on their won to survive sometime, to see of they can cope fine then we can assist them with whatever if we find it needful.

Comment

Mataracy

Valued Contributor
Heated argument ensued between me and my closest friend last week following the tweet from the popular Chinese actor, Jackie Chan. He tweeted that he won't bequeathe anything to his child.

Of course, some people like my friend, found this offended, he claimed that is too callous. He supported his argument by trying to convince me that a parent needs to help his children while growing and even while grown.

And to his surprise, I rebuffed everything he said. I told him that a parent needs not to pamper his or her children by giving them what they want. They should prepare their children for the road and not prepare the road for their children.

To be candid, the argument could not be settled because none between us eventually agreed to accept the view of any one of us.

To make it public, which if the view do you think is right and why do you want to support the view. Do you think parents should make a soft landing for their children by giving them whatever they want in order to make their success journey easier. Or are you of the opinion that children are to be left alone to be on their own by being independent and try to make way for themselves.
Very interesting arguement and I will also like to contribute my opinion.
Though every father or parent will always struggle to make life easy for their children but yet not to the extent of pamparing them and make them useless at the end.
The best thing is to help or teach your children how to grow not growing them b yourself because whenever you are weak and can no longer do that they will think may be you are just wicked.
Let them realise that no pain no gain so that they will be able to be well prepare for what life have for them.

Comment

Ozigba Richard Lamai

Verified member
if you are a very rich parents and you have a lot of capital and phoned you can be able to assist your children to start up a business, if they have good idea sometimes they might have the idea but not having capital to carry out this idea as a rich parents who has a lot of money set aside with no use can we utilise another how to achieve these ideas.

Comment

Samuel72

Valued Contributor
In this life every man is responsible for his own destiny, it is not an obligation for parent to bequathe their wealth for their children to start their business but still I see nothing bad in parents bequathe their wealth for their children to start business. It all depends on the decision and choice of the parents, everyone is free to make his own decisions.

Comment

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This reminds me of the story of John, one of the richest men in our country. He gave his children more than enough for capital for a business. He also gave half of his wealth to charity (that was about 10 years before he died). His children succeeded in business. Now his eldest is managing the airline while the other children are handling the real estate and other businesses of John.

Comment