Should traditional medicine be eradicated?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Traditional medicine deals with how people of old used herbs and the likes to take care of themselves and it was observed that they lived longer than we do today.
They did not consume much of chemicals like we consume today and their kind of treatment was purely natural and did not have any form of our modern day treatment.

Despite how relevant it was to them at that time, it had a lot of disadvantages that they did not notice then and it caused a lot of harm to them since they were only using trial and error method to carry-out their treatments.
One example of how their form of treatment wasn't reliable was the fact that they were not using qualitative analysis to determine how much of a chemical gotten from a plant should be used in treatment.

In our modern world today, there are still people who adhere to those traditional means of treatment, and they only go to hospitals when the sickness is becoming difficult to handle. This makes traditional medicine a threat to health in our modern world.

Do you think proper measures should be put in place to eradicate traditional medicine since the world has advanced from when they were relevant?

arunima25

Verified member
I would not go for a total eradication of it. It's totally unfair. We have seen adverse effects of allopathic or the contemporary medicine system too. They help us with our condition but they do bring a lot of side effects too. That does not mean that we ban it. We fund for the research and betterment of it. Same should be applied for alternative medicine. More research would help there too.
We all have relied on age old home remedies at some time or other and that has helped.
And for people who keep avoiding the need for medication and hospital care need to be treated for ignorance and stupidity. Traditional medicine system should not be penalized for their stupidity.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I would not go for a total eradication of it. It's totally unfair. We have seen adverse effects of allopathic or the contemporary medicine system too. They help us with our condition but they do bring a lot of side effects too. That does not mean that we ban it. We fund for the research and betterment of it. Same should be applied for alternative medicine. More research would help there too.
We all have relied on age old home remedies at some time or other and that has helped.
And for people who keep avoiding the need for medication and hospital care need to be treated for ignorance and stupidity. Traditional medicine system should not be penalized for their stupidity.
Nice points then, I was thinking sometimes back if there would be provision for a faculty of traditional medicine in our tertiary institutions. I believe an innovation like this would go a long way in making sure that traditional medicine performs up to par. It would also create more awareness about how best to use traditional medicine.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
If we are talking of herbs here let me share my own experience. My wife had kidney stones twice that was removed by a procedure called Lithotripsy. On the 3rd time that kidney stones appeared one urologist recommended herbal treatment. It worked and until now my wife is drinking the herbal tea that I prepare every week.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
No, I do not think that herbal medicines should be eradicated because many times herbal treatment is far much better option than mainstream allopathic medicine. Herbal treatment is considered "natural treatment". If we use science and technology, then herbal treatment can be enhanced to provide more medical benefits.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Traditional medicine deals with how people of old used herbs and the likes to take care of themselves and it was observed that they lived longer than we do today.
They did not consume much of chemicals like we consume today and their kind of treatment was purely natural and did not have any form of our modern day treatment.

Despite how relevant it was to them at that time, it had a lot of disadvantages that they did not notice then and it caused a lot of harm to them since they were only using trial and error method to carry-out their treatments.
One example of how their form of treatment wasn't reliable was the fact that they were not using qualitative analysis to determine how much of a chemical gotten from a plant should be used in treatment.

In our modern world today, there are still people who adhere to those traditional means of treatment, and they only go to hospitals when the sickness is becoming difficult to handle. This makes traditional medicine a threat to health in our modern world.

Do you think proper measures should be put in place to eradicate traditional medicine since the world has advanced from when they were relevant?
Personally I don't think that they should be eradicated because this is what a lot of people especially people from a location that do not have access to the modern medical facilities are using to treat themself and sometimes most of these can even be more effective than the modern drugs. you cannot eliminate it entirely even if the government has to do it.