Skills and Apps You Have to Learn in Your New Career

Caramelle

Some people find themselves unhappy at work or at the dead-end of their careers that the only feasible option is to shift careers, jobs, or companies. Shifting to a new career can bring a variety of challenges. In most cases, one will need to adjust to the new environment, work relationships, or a new way of doing things. It could mean adopting new technology or application.

When I shifted from an office job to a teaching job, I had to learn applications that I hardly used in my old Jobs. One of them is Microsoft PowerPoint. As an online instructor, PowerPoint is one of the most useful tools for communicating and presenting concepts. I also had to learn how to use Google Classroom, Jamboard, and Google Forms to make quizzes and activities.

When I started working online as a content writer, I needed to submit my content through a zipped folder which, I found out, was easily accomplished by right-clicking the mouse and finding the option to save the file in a zipped folder. I have learned to use Grammarly to polish my work.

When I shifted work to a technology company, I had to learn how to use Google Maps to check the accuracy of the search engine results for distance-related queries. I also had to learn to use the internet to make calls to the landlines of hospitality organizations all over the world. I learned to use Google Translate to gain a reasonable understanding of foreign language phrases written in clear text or saved as images.

Along the way, there were epic failures and frustrations, but in the end, one doesn’t have much choice but to learn continuously.

What is your career shift story?​

This post reminds me of various kinds of job advertisements I used to see when I used to seek offline jobs. Many companies would seek employees who have a really good experience using various kinds of software such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, etc. Some companies used to seek employees who have experience using accounting software along with experience in working in various firms. Since there are many institutes that teach you how to use such software, there are many people nowadays who learn how to use such Apps and they have a good time getting a job. I am a writer, so I usually use Jarte Plus for writing purposes.

Even though I am not promoting Jarte Plus in here, I must say that it is good for writing purposes. I think using advance computer software and gadgets will just become more common with the passage of time. There was a time when typewriters were used, however, now computers and laptops have replaced them completely. I have also used Grammarly in the past and I have also used Ginger software to avoid grammar and punctuation errors in my writing. Unfortunately, these software can never replace a professional, human proofreader.

There is always the need to learn the skills and apps that are related to one's job to ensure efficiency. Though I have not engaged in job shifting because I don't really like it. Besides, there are no more opportunities on my country that will give you the opportunity of changing jobs.

I am also into teaching and I am familiar with some of the apps that you mentioned while you were talking about your teaching experience. By the way, do you teach offline or online. Because most of the apps you made mention are best used for online teaching.