Health Insurance Stakeholders in the National Health Insurance Scheme

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Plagiarism warning
GOVERNMENT
The government, through the National Health Insurance Scheme sets standards, ensures and monitors compliance with standards and guidelines, while protecting rights and enforcing obligations of all stakeholders.

EMPLOYEES
These are the contributors under the Formal Sector Social Health Insurance Programme.
Their contributions (5% of basic salary) paid regularly, will guarantee employees and their dependants good quality health care whenever they fall ill.

EMPLOYERS
These are public or private sector organizations employing ten (10) or more persons, for whom they are required to pay contributions (i.e. 10% of employee's basic salary). Under the Formal Sector Social Health Insurance Programme, employers are guaranteed good quality health care for their workers at a cheaper rate, with resultant increase in productivity.
In addition, employers with in-house health facilities will run them cheaper, and make them earn income by registering them as providers under the scheme.

HEALTH MAINTENANCE ORGANISATIONS (HMOs).
These are limited liability companies, which may be formed by private or public establishment or individuals, for the sole purpose of participating in the scheme.
They are registered by the schame to facilitate the provision of health care beefits to contributors under the Formal Sector Social Health Insurance Programme.

BOARD OF TRUSTEES (BOTs)
Participants in the Urban Self-employed and the Rural Community Social Health Insurance Programmes through their elected Boards of Trustees, plan, run and manage their own health care,, thereby engendering a sense of ownership and true community participation. Etc.

You can also add those Stakes holders in the National Health Insurance Scheme that you know.
More idea is welcome.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I don't think most private organizations follow this rule. But I know some institutions like banking and other big companies that do register their workers on this scheme to cater for the welfarism of their workers. But to be frank, I don't expect the premium to be deducted from the workers salaries.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Majority of the private Health institution associated hospitals are NHIS accredited. And this make it pretty much easier for people at the grassroots to have access to health insurance scheme. A patient who register for NHIS are usually responds to faster in the hospital than the normal people. NHIS patients are top priority in any hospital.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Majority of the private Health institution associated hospitals are NHIS accredited. And this make it pretty much easier for people at the grassroots to have access to health insurance scheme. A patient who register for NHIS are usually responds to faster in the hospital than the normal people. NHIS patients are top priority in any hospital.
You are highly correct. But it seems those NHIS scheme do have some hospitals that they do use for their clients. I mean it is not all hospitals that one is taken to that will attend to the person free of charge or at a reduced price except if the hospital is what the insurance company uses. I may be wrong though but I have heard something like this before.

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
These stakeholders have their roles to be played in the national health insurance scheme. You can either choose to be effective or not. The ones that deserve to play the most important role in all the listed above is the government because normally the agency is a government owned

Jamoflondon

Verified member
I believe These stake holders mentioned above have their important roles to play in the national health insurance scheme. Nevertheless, you still cannot deny the fact that it is a government agency which makes whatever roles the others play not as important as the government’s, I think the employees also do a vital job in this because they are the ones that make up the organization