General insurance The consequence for making false claims in insurance

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Humans like to take advantage of a system. So looking for a way to get money off the insurance company isn't an exception. But everyone need to know when caught it comes with punishments.

Committing an offense like this in insurance is termed insurance fraud. There are two types of frauds the soft insurance fraud and the hard insurance fraud.

Soft insurance fraud is when there's an exaggeration of an existing claims. I.e. Stating more damages or losses than they are. This comes with a little jail term, fines or community service

For the hard insurance fraud this is when one outrightly forged claims or cause the loss just to get money from insurance company. This is more serious and will lead to be sued and jail term in prison for several years.

So the best bet is to avoid any dubious claims.

What do you think?

Nite

Valued Contributor
Fraud affects the lives of not just the innocent people, but also the insurance industry. Insurance fraud has been in existence since the insurance began as a commercial enterprise. It may come in many forms and can occur in any area of insurance. And these type of frauds are viewed as a crime under the law.

Good luck

Verified member
There is no way you can play any kind of game with any insurance company because you can not claim what you are not entitled for.You get what you are due for in any policy you engaged in.though we have a lot of fraudsters trying to claim what it is not theirs but I don't think it is possible in any premium.

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
I know there are different types of false claim but for someone to do that, such person must have been an ignorant of the insurance deal, this is why agents are needed because one has to know more about the kind of policy you want to buy, it’s not just about the premium

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Fraud affects the lives of not just the innocent people, but also the insurance industry. Insurance fraud has been in existence since the insurance began as a commercial enterprise. It may come in many forms and can occur in any area of insurance. And these type of frauds are viewed as a crime under the law.
Yeah this is a criminal offense because you are trying to obtain by trick which is really offensive. I think the best bet will be contacting the insurance company and discussing with them to first find out if your claim is eligible for any help than just outrightly demanding for a compensation from the insurer

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I don't know why people will even in the first instance try to be presenting false evidence to the insurance company. I don't know what they try to achieve with this act. But the punishment should be forfeiture of the premium I don't think it can lead to jail term

Augusta

VIP Contributor
There is no way you can play any kind of game with any insurance company because you can not claim what you are not entitled for.You get what you are due for in any policy you engaged in.though we have a lot of fraudsters trying to claim what it is not theirs but I don't think it is possible in any premium.
Well mate unfortunately some people are still bold when it comes to fraud so they can still want to demand for what isn't real. Sometimes I just believe it is them trying to push their luck to see if they can pull the tricks and get money off the insurer but most times it doesn't work

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Insurance fraud is something that has been in existence for a long time but many companies are putting measures in place in order to avoid being scammed by unscrupulous people that have agreement with them. I think there should be laws put in place in every country to protect insurance companies and insurers.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I know there are different types of false claim but for someone to do that, such person must have been an ignorant of the insurance deal, this is why agents are needed because one has to know more about the kind of policy you want to buy, it’s not just about the premium
Some do not willingly present false documents. At times, ignorance do lead to this. They don't know the requirement of these insurance companies and they may not have qualified or competent broker that will put them through. And some time, some just submitted the false documents with the aim that they may not get caught or they don't know the implications of it.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Yeah it's best for the person to make genuine claim , because there is no how the person would want to forge the claim , the insurance company might still get to Know , that is why they even made strict laws for anyone who tries to partake into fraudulent practices

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Yeah it's best for the person to make genuine claim , because there is no how the person would want to forge the claim , the insurance company might still get to Know , that is why they even made strict laws for anyone who tries to partake into fraudulent practices
Some people will always cheat. And even if there is strict law. Some people will still want to dodge the law. I know someone that insured his car and the car did not have any problem for more than2 years. But because he wanted to benefit from his premium, he intentionally damaged the car to be compensated by the insurance company

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Some people will always cheat. And even if there is strict law. Some people will still want to dodge the law. I know someone that insured his car and the car did not have any problem for more than2 years. But because he wanted to benefit from his premium, he intentionally damaged the car to be compensated by the insurance company
They actually don't want to make loss , by all means that is why they prefer to destroy the car than end up in loss , am glad the insurance company caught him because they are business and needs profit to keep the business going for a long time I think z and be able to settle others risk too

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Insurance fraud is something that has been in existence for a long time but many companies are putting measures in place in order to avoid being scammed by unscrupulous people that have agreement with them. I think there should be laws put in place in every country to protect insurance companies and insurers.
There are actually laws for this dishonest act. But the fact is that it will amaze us that most dishonest acts are made possible by some internal workers in this insurance company. I watched a news where one of the workers collaborated with some people to cheat on the insurance companies.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Can you imagine how far people go to just take advantage of a system for their own selfish interest.it really appalling sometimes that. Humans can't just be trusted. But the funny thing is that they might always be caught because the insurance company must always carry out their investigation before honouring a claim too

Augusta

VIP Contributor
There are actually laws for this dishonest act. But the fact is that it will amaze us that most dishonest acts are made possible by some internal workers in this insurance company. I watched a news where one of the workers collaborated with some people to cheat on the insurance companies.
I will have to agree with you some dubious activities done by outsiders are always carried out by internal staff too. This direct the customers on what to do to cheat the system which is very wrong. So the insurance company know these tricks and they are putting everything down to dishonor such claims