The genetics of height

Ephy

Genetics are among the prominent factors that contribute to how tall you’ll be.

As a general rule of thumb, your height can be predicted based on how tall your parents are. If they are tall or short, then your own height is said to end up somewhere based on the average heights between your two parents.

Genes aren’t the sole predictor of a person’s height. In some instances, a child might be much taller than their parents and other relatives. Or, perhaps, they may be much shorter.

Last edited:

Phronesis

I know genes are part of the factors that affect the growth of an offspring, whether in height, body structure and even character.
One tends to take genes from their parents as you have said but most times, children take their genes from relatives most especially their grandparents. I know of a family where the parents were tall, like very tall but the children where short like they weren't born of the parents, if not for the facial resemblance. They took the height of a distant uncle.

Carson20t

Okay thanks for the tips here and you are right that genetics plays a very important role in determining of someone's height as it is very likely that what you see is eventually what you will get more especially the genes ofvthe parents.
In this situation and time and era there is always a conventional solution,so are there dome conventional methods that can be used to enhance someones height for them to grow taller a little more than they were In the initial stage?

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I think Gene is always the main determinant of people's Tallness because there are some recessive Gene and there are some dominant one. The parents may have both the Gene for tallness and shortness but if the Gene for talllness is dominant the parents will be tall, the children can decide to be shot because the gene for shortness is becoming more dominant on that generation.