Twitter is free and not free

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
On Twitter, a premium account policy is going to be implemented. Elon Musk, the new owner of Twitter, has decided to take the microblogging site to a new level of business in order to manage expenses.

Musk made it clear in a short Tweet announcement on May 4 that Twitter will remain free for casual users, and added that there would be a fee for commercial and government users.

Screenshot_20220505-203332_Twitter.jpg

Something resembling a premium i.e paid Twitter account appears to be on the way. Common people should not be concerned because they will not be charged; yet, there is no reason to express relief because only these common people will indirectly pay for the paid account.

Government accounts would run on public tax money, and business accounts would run on adding the value of the fees to the price of product.

It is also noticeable that big business organizations will be able to bear the fee there, but it may be a difficult step for small, micro traders.​

Mika

VIP Contributor
I am not aware of this announcement. I missed Musk's Tweets that announced that Twitter will be free for casual users and paid for business and governmental use. I will have to dig more into this. But based on what I have read I am quite confused about these terms. I have a personal Twitter account, which means as a causal user I am free to use Twitter. I also have a Twitter account for my website. By definition, a website is treated as a business entity because it tries to generate revenue through advertising. Therefore, a Twitter account for my website might be classified as a business account and I might be charged money. We don't know yet, how much will be the fees. However, I believe the fees will be based on the size of the business and the nature of the business. Even though the people who pay for business accounts and government accounts will be the casual users (because we buy products from businesses for them to make money, and we pay taxes to the government) I think this is a good move because this will ensure the survival of one of the most loved platforms.

saoussen5765

Valued Contributor
Because most of users are using Twitter for earning money so such decision could not be so strange to cover the cost of hosting that costs a lot of money that even advertisements do not monetize such activities.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
I think it's a good move to diversify Twitter revenue, most of their revenue comes from. Advertising.

Many companies and governments use Twitter as a means of transmitting information to their customers or citizens which have been a free service for many years.

But this policy might cause competition between social networks, because I don't think this policy will be accepted by the users.

Because the idea of social networking is to connect with like minds and share information and thoughts, I don't thin there should be any charge for that.

I think other social networks might decide to look at this revenue model which unfortunately is not for everyone, the only platforms that would benefit are those with larger user base, like Facebook and Instagram.

Snapchat is a good platform that is a good fit for this kind of a model, because it's a private platform and they have a lot of brand loyalist.

Well, this decision is a tight one, it will decide the future of Twitter in the next decade because we are bracing to a new wave of social networking, videos seems to be the new way to disseminate information, but this is all subjective and only time will tell.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
@moonchild , I too thought same, it was advertising revenue that is needed to be increased, but all business and other agencies use the platform for free, and this helps them to keep without paying (unless they pay to promote something, including their profiles. But most of the time, they just stay free and spread their ads via their tweet and pay nothing for it (this is same with all social medias, but twitter wants to get paid
A small fees from such it's is not bad, this will not put burden on the Organization, and also helo them to keep their account.

green-nomad

I’ve been following this whole drama around Musk buying Twitter with great interest. I wonder what will happen now that he actually did it, especially in terms of free speech/censorship. But I do believe that in terms of revenue, charging business accounts a small fee wouldn’t be a bad move.