Urgent Reasons You Should Stop Eating Smoked Meats and Fish.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Health Implications of Smoked Meats and Fish
You should stop eating smoked fish or meat because the health risks outweigh the benefits. They include:

Addition of Chemicals
Smoked meat and fish are preserved foods, which means they have a greater shelf life than fresh meats. This is because smoking removes moisture, which bacteria require to grow. Smoking also adds chemicals such as salt, sugar, and nitrites that further inhibit bacterial growth.

Presence of Carcinogens
The biggest reason to avoid eating smoked meats and fish is that they contain more carcinogens than grilled meats. The process of smoking introduces polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) into food. PAHs form when fat drips onto the fire, causing smoke to rise up and coat the food.

High Saturated Content and Sodium Levels
Dietary guidelines recommend limiting intake of smoked meats and fish due to their high saturated fat content and sodium levels. Smoked meats and fish often have almost twice as much saturated fat as grilled meat. They also contain 2-5 times more sodium than grilled meats.

Health issue like Cancer
Smoked meats and fish have 57% chances of causing cancer in the body. People are always carried away by the unique taste while ignoring the health implications.

If you still want to eat smoked meats and fish occasionally, opt for lower-fat options and add vegetables or fruit to your meal to reduce the amount of saturated fat you consume overall.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I agree that smoked fish has high sodium levels particularly for the fish that is caught in the sea which has natural salty flavoring. However, I wonder why you mentioned that dried fish has chemicals. In our fishing industry the makers of dried fish do not use any kind of chemical. They dry the fish on a wire mesh for several days so that the fish will be really dried. As for the salt content that is from the sea water that they use to wet the fish while drying. Maybe what you mean by the chemical is the preservative that is used to make dried meat but not in dried fish. As for the cancer I don't think there is a conclusive study that dried fish can cause cancer. I hope you would be careful in posting such caveat as cancerous just to attract attention in your post. Check the reason for having cancer.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Health Implications of Smoked Meats and Fish
You should stop eating smoked fish or meat because the health risks outweigh the benefits. They include:

Addition of Chemicals
Smoked meat and fish are preserved foods, which means they have a greater shelf life than fresh meats. This is because smoking removes moisture, which bacteria require to grow. Smoking also adds chemicals such as salt, sugar, and nitrites that further inhibit bacterial growth.

Presence of Carcinogens
The biggest reason to avoid eating smoked meats and fish is that they contain more carcinogens than grilled meats. The process of smoking introduces polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) into food. PAHs form when fat drips onto the fire, causing smoke to rise up and coat the food.

High Saturated Content and Sodium Levels
Dietary guidelines recommend limiting intake of smoked meats and fish due to their high saturated fat content and sodium levels. Smoked meats and fish often have almost twice as much saturated fat as grilled meat. They also contain 2-5 times more sodium than grilled meats.

Health issue like Cancer
Smoked meats and fish have 57% chances of causing cancer in the body. People are always carried away by the unique taste while ignoring the health implications.

If you still want to eat smoked meats and fish occasionally, opt for lower-fat options and add vegetables or fruit to your meal to reduce the amount of saturated fat you consume overall.
I perfectly understand what you are trying to say but what of a situation in which the smoked fish are being wash thoroughly so that all the carbon and dark matters that was being introduced into the fish during the smoking process is completely eliminated , do you think it will still have a dangerous side effects in the human body ?

Another question I will also like to ask is that what if a person is interested to smoke these thing using oven or any other means that does not introduce direct smoke into the fish , do you really think this is also dangerous to the human body because I just want to understand just to be on the server side.

Personally I always try as much as possible to avoid anything that could be dangerous to the human body but you have to consider the reason why people are smoking their fishes because here in Nigeria there is no steady supply of electricity making preservation of food in fridges to be quite difficult that is why a lot of people consider that at the only way they could preserve their fish for a very long time. Thanks so much for sharing.