General insurance What Acts of God are not covered by insurance?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When the great flood hit our country in 2009, so many vehicles were inundated by flood waters for more than 24 hours. It was a big expense on the part of the owner that cost $1,000 just for the cleaning that excludes the replacement of broken parts. The comprehensive car insurance does not cover the flood because it is an Act of God which can be predicted but cannot be avoided.

The insurance agent said that any natural calamity is considered an act of God like a landslide (or avalanche), a volcanic eruption and some other calamities. I felt like car owners were scammed with that clause in the insurance policy. Now there is a new law that dictates the insurance companies to include some Acts of God in their coverage. I hope that would be fair for everyone.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I have heard of the Acts of God clause in insurance policies. However, I am not sure if this clause is also included by the insurance companies in my home country. If the insurance company does not provide coverage for the damages caused by flood in the name of act of god, some y they will deny coverage for death because human death is also act of God (we are religious people, aren't we)

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
I have never heard of anything like that called, act of God. So you mean to say that the insurance does not cover any natural disaster. What if the insured is on a property insurance, I meant to say fire insurance under property and a fire outbreak happens, probably an eruption, will the insurance still categorized it as an act of God?

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
This is really interesting; I belive that no body can also predict the out of some incident. But I think that when an insurance cover a particular property any thing that happen to such property will be taken care off. Is it possible to cover a car and when such incident occur is not going take care of by insurance company?

Jamoflondon

Verified member
Although I really do not know much about insurance policy but what is the essence of being covered by an insurance company and when you need them to be there for you, they start telling you that it is the act of God. Why do I need an insurance when they won’t be there for me when needed

btaliat

VIP Contributor
To me the insurance company is just trying to pay smart, for instance, if the occurrence happens through the people negligence, they may say they cannot compensate because it is due to carelessness. Now, it is natural, and they are still saying anything excuse not to cover the compensation part.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Insurance are meant to cover unforseen circumstances and even , I really don't know why they were not covering some occurance because of the act of God ,it would be good if they start covering such thing because people would not just waste paying their premium without receiving the needed service

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
In my place, there is no such provisions like act of god. If you are a believer, you also need to believe that every things is act of god. For example, you encounter a car accidents and do you think that accidents occurred without Gog's will? Whether you die naturally or accidentally, everything is act of god.